Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Felipepepe's Encyclopedic CRPG Book Released

Stokowski

Arcane
:bravo:

Yeah, you're right - it is a typo. The most dangerous of all typos. I'll fix this right now, thanks for spotting it.
Unfortunately, there's actually a whole bunch more in the book.
I know there's a billion types, but date typos as well?

There are also factual mistakes. Sengoku Rance reviewer claims that Oda is a fictional clan :)

He did not understand that the game is mixing classical history setting with pop culture.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I think he meant it due to Rance leading it, but yeah, it's poorly worded since it's still called the Oda clan.

I changed it to "Rance is given control of the Oda clan during Japan’s “Warring States” era and must unite the land into one nation."

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Good job and congrats on this massive and comprehensive encyclopedia on the history of cRPGs, Felipepepe, and all those who contributed! Much better than Matt Chat's book. Saw some really nice, somewhat obscure entries that I never heard of that look damn good, and you didn't turn up your nose at the poor closet weeaboos like myself and included jRPGs too. I salute you, boys n gurls, for all the hard work!

dagrims

Educated
My boss would fire me in an instant if he discovered I was printing this book on our office printer, in full color. Oh wait, I'm the boss! Time to have the admin assistant order more over-priced toner.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My boss would fire me in an instant if he discovered I was printing this book on our office printer, in full color. Oh wait, I'm the boss! Time to have the admin assistant order more over-priced toner.
Will give you 100 brofists for a copy.

lightbane

Arcane

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Today I was about to skim the book quickly but sank two hours into it. I could've bought a new pair of trekking shoes if I worked those two hours instead.

This book is literally a waste of time.

Divinity: Original Sin
It's an amazing book and I'm dreaming with a printed version. HG101 did one for adventure games, so why not? I have posted in this thread but haven't properly congratulate the author. So, felipepepe, congratulations. You managed to make me get late to work by yesterday and today because I was just browsing the book.

Now, some doubts: You mentioned you wanted more or less 10 other reviews that didn't make it because of not getting reviewers to talk about them, or not having a computer to run, say, spellforce 3. Since there's not a printed version, will the book continue to evolve adding more reviews? Or will the work basically be fixing typos?

Anyway, even though there's a lot of obscure titles I've never heard of, I missed entries/mentions of synergistic software Conan the Cimmerian and Warriors of Legend. They were made in the same engine as "the spirit of excalibur", covered in the book. Also, Legends of valour. To be honest, only played the Conan one from start to finish a long time ago. The others I got to know when I discovered abandonware sites. Only played them to see how they look and then they became lost in my backlog of games I would eventually play. I believe you actually may have knowledge of these because they were always present in the RPG section of the most famous abandonware sites.

What was your criteria in choosing which games should be in the book, and which should be left out? I ask this because I can't quite agree that Tron 2.0 is in the book, and those I mentioned above are out. Some are out also because they're recent games. I guess having reviewer is the top criteria?

That's my only criticism for the book, which is I can't determine the consistency in the criteria for selection (other than availability of reviewers), but I understand you can't have everything in the book. Maybe have a list of non-reviewed games with a small description of them as an appendix?

Today I was about to skim the book quickly but sank two hours into it. I could've bought a new pair of trekking shoes if I worked those two hours instead.

This book is literally a waste of time.

You wouldn't need these trekking shoes to read the rest of the book, so It actually made you save money.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
felipepepe
So how many downloads till now?
I can't track the number of downloads from people who got a direct link to the .pdf, but the blog had 33,711 unique visitors since yesterday!

It's weird how most of the traffic comes from Hacker News, not reddit or twitter. Wouldn't expect that.

For Hacker News, it's not surprising that you got a lot of visitor from there. All articles that reach the front page, like yours did, tend to get a lot of clicks.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Congratulations felipepepe

And what better name for the book would be other than "The Role Playing Game Codex: Book I" as an homage to this forum about which you said "I found home" in the introduction? :)

Why Book I ? Because surely you'll write another one in 35 years or something :)

PS: All I know is that if there will ever be a hardcover, I'll buy one.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The name CRPG Book is fine, because it is unique if you google it.

Congrats @felipepe - this book is a great achievement - thank you for all the work.

I'm glad that I could be a little part of it.

Vorark

Erudite
I've fully read the "Articles & Guides" and "Futher Adventures" sections, in addition to a number of reviews. It's a super useful reference material for people new into the genre.

Excellent work! :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom