Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Subnautica: Released (SPOILER WARNING past Post #1)

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
The devs don't want modding (at least serious modding) in their game, so yeah. (they "love mods, but don't see the point", they "made the game we wanted to make" and don't want people splintering their vision or some crap)
Real reason: They don't want someone modding in explosive torpedos or a plasma gun or something. So you'll just have to get up close and personal with your heatknife.

There goes my hope for a TFTD mod (underwater horror with guns should work just fine) and less predators but with better a.i. etc, or someone working on the game's performance issues as the devs won't.

I go from 100+ fps to 20 or whatever and stutters whenever too many assets load in when travelling fast esp in certain biomes. The pop in can be really bad esp. if you are a bit off the ground/further away.
This is bizarre... Your view distance is limited as it is and it's not like there are many unique assets per biome.
I turn around too fast in my moonpool with seamoth docked and it's not there, the game then quickly plays the docking animation and there it is all of a sudden lol. Ridiculous.

They promised optimization "later" during early early access, and the second they said it (after lots of ppl said "hey, maybe this should be a priority before you've coded yourself into a corner") I knew it would never happen.

We got shitty color grading, depth of field and motion blur in an update though, so thanks for that.

Anyway, I agree with the criticisms leveled at the gameplay earlier in the thread mostly. Not much else to say... It is infinitely better than NMS though and really fun during the first half or so, so there's that. Some cool biomes too, but imo the graphics aren't necessarily up to the task even if you ignore the performance issues.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Made more progress, and I am a little disappointed in how the devs now seem to be forcing players to play the game in a certain manner.

The three main vehicles all have upgrades that permit them to reach greater depths.

The Seamoth has a starting max depth of 200 meters and an absolute max depth of 900 meters, which is coincidentally the bottom of the area known as the Lost River.

The Cyclops has a starting max depth of 500 meters and an absolute max depth of 1500 meters (last I checked), which is coincidentally just a little over the greatest depth that the Cyclops can hope to reach.

The Prawn has a starting max depth of 900 meters and an absolute max depth of 1700 meters (last I checked), which is coincidentally just a little over the greatest maximum depth of the game (1654 meters).

Each vehicle now has its own separate depth upgrades - previously the Seamoth and the Prawn could use the same module. The problem lies in the resources needed to build each upgrade. The Seamoth upgrade has easy-easy crafting requirements, while the Cyclops upgrade needs Rubies which can only be found at depths beyond 200m. The Prawn upgrade then ups that by requiring Nickel - and Nickel is only found in the Lost River, at depths between 500 and 900 meters. Note that this is only for building the upgrade - there's also the thing about upgrading the upgrade, for which you need a Modification Station - which can only be found at depths greater than 200 meters.

To upgrade the upgrades, the Seamoth now asks for Magnetite for the Mark II, and Rubies for the Mark III - both resources only found below 200 meters. The Cyclops asks for Nickel for its first upgrade, but then Kyanite for the final upgrade, while the Prawn only has one upgrade which also requires Kyanite - and Kyanite can only be found at depths greater than 900 meters AND requires the Prawn Drill Arm - so if you're one of the poor sods who's scoured the ocean floor and still haven't found two Prawn Drill Arm fragments, you're shit out of luck and need to keep looking.

Because without the maximum upgraded depth modules your Cyclops is not gonna travel deeper than the Lost River, and the Prawn will be unable to reach the deepest areas and you'll be stuck.

The thing is, while the Cyclops is a very powerful and very useful vehicle, it's also very large and very slow - two things that will work against you as you reach greater depths. Getting down to the Lost River will be a problem unless you find the "Cargo Entrance" (something I only first discovered existed yesterday) and it'll be a bother getting it down past the Lost River no matter how you look at it. This has led to people questioning the use of the Cyclops altogether - the Prawn in the hands of a clever player can do everything that's needed of a vehicle down in those depths - and during Early Access it was possible to do the Lost River and the areas beyond in one go, in the Prawn. Just plan ahead, pack carefully and activate the teleporters and you won't even have to worry about walking all the way back. If you make the journey to the bottom of the game in the Cyclops, you WILL have to pilot it up to the surface again eventually.

The new crafting recipes for the depth modules change this - now you're pretty much forced to max out the depth upgrade on one vehicle before you can even start using the next vehicle at depths past the default one. It's become a tiered progression that mandates that the Cyclops is included... unless you like making several return trips that were previously unneeded.

Clever? Maybe. Forced? Oh yes.

Oh, and a couple of new bits of info that could be useful:

# Eating a raw Bladderfish gets you some oxygen. No, I'm not kidding.
# Crabsquids can always find your Seamoth, no matter where you try to park it to prevent them from eating it. Turning off the lights doesn't do squat.
# Floaters are useless. There used to be a time when you could attach a bunch of them to unwanted critters and let (the absence of) gravity do the rest. Now you're lucky if you can get a Floater to stick to a critter, and far too many times the slightest twitch from the critter destroys the Floater.
# Because of how small, fast and accurate they are, Warpers are the only monster I see a need to actively engage and stab with my knife until they warp out. You need about four stabs. Everything else I just steer clear of.
# When you find a large wreck (or lifepod) try to take the time to explore its immediate vicinity. Far too often Something of Note is located in the neighborhood, and far too often in a straight compass direction from the wreck.
# Check every side of a wreck carefully, in at least two cases you can enter a "locked" wreck (one where you need the laser cutter) via the air ducts.

Last edited:

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Warpers have never been an issue for me, amusingly. They never hit me or anything, mostly I don't notice them until I turn around and realize one is following me haha.
Maybe I just got lucky a lot.

I agree with your criticisms, btw.

Devs wanting to force you into playing their way is one of the big and long-standing issues of this game... Wastes quite a bit of it's potential imo.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Oh, *golfclap* to the Subnautica devs for this one.

I stayed on the Experimental build when the 1.0 release hit, and started a fresh game and all.

Except now I'm hearing that the devs "forgot" to unlock the Neptune Missile Platform being buildable on the Experimental branch.

And they're all on a week-long vacation now to celebrate the "launch" of their game.

Guess I'll be shelfing my playthrough for a while.

Drakron

Arcane
Oh they did, you can solve that by tick off the Beta and relaunching Steam, that will update to 1.0.
I build the thing in Creative and then laugh when I couldnt use it because you have to complete the story or it wont launch (grated, there is a good reason for that).

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I finished the game a couple of months ago. The rocket sequence is just a final tip of the cap as you bid the game adieu.

In lieu of the actual rocket sequence, I closed my eyes and imagined the protagonist of color building the rocket, climbing inside, battening down the hatch, and blasting off; whereupon the rocket's computer guidance system failed around 4km from the planet's surface, since it was programmed with Unity.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Oh they did, you can solve that by tick off the Beta and relaunching Steam, that will update to 1.0.

You don't get out much, do you?

If you move from the Experimental branch to the normal branch, the game considers it a "downgrade" and refuses to load your save.

HeroicBloodshed

Learned
This was a REALLY great game. The exploration, atmosphere and immersiveness beat anything I've played in years.

That being said finding out what the soyboy main character looked like retroactively ruined the game for me:

7Y8LBxv.jpg

mbv123

Arbiter
This was a REALLY great game. The exploration, atmosphere and immersiveness beat anything I've played in years.

That being said finding out what the soyboy main character looked like retroactively ruined the game for me:

7Y8LBxv.jpg
It's the future, so I think it's realistic that the average person will look like a monkey

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well, a recent update seems to have given me a pretty significant performance boost. Guess you can sort of fix Unity after all.

It's still a shit engine, but at least it's a fast shit engine now :incline:

mbv123

Arbiter
aXe0ISa.jpg

Sound Designer of the dev team got fired because he said some things on twitter that didn't agree with the SJW group think of the dev team.
Considering sound design is one of the main reasons why game is immersive and spooky, it caused a fucking shitstorm.
Glad I pirated this shit because those fags certainly don't deserve my money.

sullynathan

Arcane
I actually met a guy today who was playing this game on his laptop, it was running pretty poorly. I was playing cuphead instead, that game's interesting

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Glad that i skipped this shit game. I was interested in it for a few years now,but seeing this shit....sad. Could pirate it in a half a year,or totally forget that it exist. Anyway the devs are spineless scum for doing this shit!

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
Picked it up since my son's been asking for it. Decided to see what's up with it and started it up. At first was scared to leave my immediate area, struggling to find silver. Then went to get rescued, found and explored the thing and was like woah this is better than I thought. Then, filled up my inventory with airtubes, water, and salted fish, and went exploring some crazy caves filled with sulfur deposits and stinging jellies, and met the hypnosis fish and was like WOOAAAHHHH. Then I realized it was 2 am.

I'm sure it won't last, but I really enjoyed preparing for an exploration and going through a maze of caves with unknown dangers, with only water tubes, a knife and my holo breadcrumb gun. Good times.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
aXe0ISa.jpg

Sound Designer of the dev team got fired because he said some things on twitter that didn't agree with the SJW group think of the dev team.
Considering sound design is one of the main reasons why game is immersive and spooky, it caused a fucking shitstorm.
Glad I pirated this shit because those fags certainly don't deserve my money.
Well, either you are game developer and then you talk shit that normally gets you into psychiatric clinic, or to jail for hatred talk, or you don't do quality stuff. Look at me and my posting in last 10 years. But at least I have the "psychiatrist said medicals would only hurt my brain further" excuse.

His excuse is: "he's from Poland". Which considering Poland is part of EU and recipient of large welfare money, isn't large excuse.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Their stupid reasoning for not including weapons during early access got me worried. Them even considering wasting dev time on something purely aesthetic like a female option just for the sake of diversity, instead of working on the core gameplay got me even more worried. This fuckery, however, is the last straw. I wish I could refund the game, but I bought into the EA like the retard I am. I should've seen the red flags and ran with my money while I still had the chance.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Their stupid reasoning for not including weapons during early access got me worried. Them even considering wasting dev time on something purely aesthetic like a female option just for the sake of diversity, instead of working on the core gameplay got me even more worried. This fuckery, however, is the last straw. I wish I could refund the game, but I bought into the EA like the retard I am. I should've seen the red flags and ran with my money while I still had the chance.

If you used a credit card could try refunding it yourself.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
I bought it two years ago, and it was with a debit card at the time. Not eligible for a refund, sadly.

Nahel

Arcane
Was going to play it after buying it yesterday, but fuck SJW. Thanks Steam. Refunding right now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom