Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail is actually quite good

ADL

Prophet
This is the dude's first game right? Solid 7.5/10 effort. I look forward to the expansion and whatever comes afterwards.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Underrail is a great game, but to make it one of the classics, it needed a better more deep rooted story, better writing and better C&C. Things it didn't really deliver on, unfortunately. That would make it on par or even better than fallout 1.

And yes, I say this with an underrail avatar. The combat, exploration and char building is incredibly good, and far better than fallout. (Perhaps only needing very bloody death animations).

For a combat/explorefag this game might be better than fallouts, but as a whole package, and especially for story/writingfags, it's nowhere near fallout.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Lilura's crazy autism:

''this game is pretty cool, but it's not Jagged Alliance 2, so it sucks''. That's her review in a nutshell.

Everything sucks compared to JA2. EVERYTHING. If you disagree then you have no monocle and top-hat. 18 years later, this game could not even challenge Fallout. Think about that.

Yes, it has some cute features. So what? In the end, it amounts to nothing. Just like all the other cheap nostalgia cash-ins that cut a poor figure against their Renaissance masters.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
3HYWK5W.jpg

You guys are way off. Lilura is one of the characters here, and she brings nice flavor to the place. Even if she does happen to like terrible games. ;) Once she admits the glory that is ELEX, everything will be ok.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I am not even going to dwell on the fact that it's created by one guy
But it's not. It used to be for the first 3 years, during that time Styg made the engine and the content up to Junkyard. Right now there's at least 4 people working on the expansion.

I also kind of agree with Darth Roxor, in that Underrail is not all that similiar to Fallout 1/2. The only true similarity is the turn and action point based combat system. If anything, I would call Underrail a mix of Fallout and Deus Ex gameplay-wise, but other than that it's its own thing.

Not even the settings are all that similar. Fallout 1/2 are truly post-apocalyptic, the events of are set relatively shortly (~80 and ~160 years) after the nuclear apocalypse. All the chaos, struggle, misery, etc. you see and deal with in the game are directly or indirectly related to the nukes destroying the world.

Meanwhile in Underrail it's been so long (several centuries ago, more than at least 200 years) since whatever event that made the surface inhabitable, most people don't even remember what surface is and there's only one faction that kind-of-cares about inhabiting it again. The metro system is a completly self-sustainable enviroment. All the chaos, struggle, misery, etc. you see in the game are completly unrelated to the apocalypse, they were caused by BioCorp's shenanigans and civil wars. You know how people like to call New Vegas post-post-apocalyptic? Underrail is basically post-post-post-apocalyptic.

For whatever reason, the lack of contractions in a post apocalyptic setting drives me nuts.
I never really understood the complaints about the writing, but this gotta be the most hilarious one I heard so far.

I can see how it might seem trivial, but it’s really immersion breaking. No one talks like that! Dialogue should read at least a little like, well, dialogue. With Underrail’s conversations, I might as well be reading a manual.

Obviously this stuff is very subjective, but for me it’s like needles in my eyes (if I said, “it is like needles in my eyes,” it would sound more emphatic and less metaphorical—contractions matter). I spend a lot of my day job editing text, so seeing this far-from-optimized english feels like a mild atrocity.

Edit:
You guys are way off. Lilurashe does happen to like terrible games.

As one famous saudi cleric said "Women, just like dogs, have no soul". I would add they have no taste too!:smug:

I’ve yet to meet a single human whom I would consider spiritually superior to the average dog (notice the lack of contraction on “I would” for emphasis).

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Once she admits the glory that is ELEX, everything will be ok.

Sorry, the only popamoles I bother with these days are Gothic I-II, Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Warband and Vamp Bloodlines. You have shit taste and should stop posting on the 'Dex. The place for your kind is RPGWatch.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Why are we still debating this. Objectively underrail has subpar writing, story etc. Conpared to older crpgs and even recent ones.

But its still a great game, despite those things

Jazz_

Arcane
I think the writing is fine, the most disappointing thing is that social skills are almost useless, there are very few quests you can complete in a pacific way like in Fallout, not enough c&c in that sense.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Why are we still debating this. Objectively underrail has subpar writing, story etc. Conpared to older crpgs and even recent ones.

I think it is fine for such a tiny studio.

Yes, it's fine for such a small studio, which is why I said the game is great.

But it's definitely no fallout 1 or nowhere close. It is what it is.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I think it is fine for such a tiny studio.

Yes, it's fine for such a small studio, which is why I said the game is great.

But it's definitely no fallout 1 or nowhere close. It is what it is.

I didn’t realize we were grading on a curve now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom