Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Felipepepe's Encyclopedic CRPG Book Released

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: CRPG Book Project; Felipe Pepe

Ever since the release of Cleve Blakemore's Grimoire, here at the RPG Codex we know that miracles are real. Sometimes, something momentous happens that shatters the mundane course of life and changes the way you look at things. Something you were not sure you ever expected to happen. Something to which you can then refer as a brief moment of incline in the generally declining trajectory of the world.

One such occasion is today, with another, no less vaporware epic project finally seeing the light of day. Today, esteemed community member felipepepe has released his CRPG Book Project -- a veritable encyclopedia of computer RPG knowledge. You can download it for free here.

600 hours of gameplay! 528 pages of content! 244+ Maps in the game to explore! 400+ RPGs in the book to explore! 64 intelligent NPCs with 8000 Words in Vocabulary! 112 intelligent contributors from all around the globe! It's all there, as described by felipepepe himself in a special blog post about the release:

Four years ago I began a journey.

On Feb 5 2014 I posted the results of the RPG Codex’s Top 70 poll, in which we elected the best CRPGs of all time. But I felt that a simple list was too dry… more than the ranking, I was interested in WHY these games were good. From there came the idea of asking people to write a short paragraph talking about each title.

This became an updated version of the Codex’s Top 70, now with screenshots and brief descriptions of each game. That’s my favorite piece of content I ever made, but I still wanted more – more games, more screenshots, longer reviews, tips on mods, fan-made patches, etc. So I made a list of all the RPGs I wanted to cover and began recruiting volunteers for the “CRPG Book Project”.

Having done the Top 70 list in 3 months, I thought I could do 300 games in about 10 months or so. Ha, it took me four years… but it is done!

Dear reader, I present you the full release of the CRPG BOOK PROJECT!

The book is first and foremost a collection of RPG reviews, but it also includes a number of articles on topics ranging from CRPG cartography to the origins of the genre. Quite a few Codexers have contributed to it, too, alongside the likes of Scorpia and Chris Avellone.

In the blog post, felipepepe also addresses the inevitable questions about the possibility of a hardback copy of the book, future proofreading plans, etc. He's looking for a good way to crowdfund the book or print it on demand without making it too expensive or too complicated in terms of taxes - so if you have an idea how he could go about doing that, do get in touch with him.

Anyway - congrats, felipe, for seeing this project through to the end with, dare I say, a truly neanderthal dedication. Everyone else, go check out the book right now!

Arulan

Cipher
What a fantastic book, and an admiration for this medium's history the likes of which is far too uncommon. Congratulations on finishing it.

rrc2soft

Educated
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I grew up reading Ferhegon (one of the contributors) monthly column on JdR (Juegos de Rol - RPG) on the Spanish magazine “Micromania”. So this book and its references to the games I devoured on than monthly column brings me a lot of joy.

Thanks felipepepe , and thanks to all the contributors. The book is fucking awesome.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Reading this really makes you wonder if you really need to sleep, or if you can just read all time. Amazing work.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Congratulations on the huge achievement. You've done something great for the genre and its fans!

On printing: have you checked https://www.lulu.com/ and similar online printers? They work on demand per order, you don't need a mass print, warehouse or anything. Whatever way you choose, I'll be getting a few copies for me and as gifts as well.

Ruzen

Savant
Just took a peak in it and It looks very interesting. It's like a big cyclopedia. Definitely going to check it out time to time.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Congratulations on the huge achievement. You've done something great for the genre and its fans!

On printing: have you checked https://www.lulu.com/ and similar online printers? They work on demand per order, you don't need a mass print, warehouse or anything. Whatever way you choose, I'll be getting a few copies for me and as gifts as well.
A hardcover colored version of the book would cost over $100 on Lulu. :/

Deleted member 7219

Skimmed between Fallout and Morrowind, and yes, it does look good. Very well written. I look forward to pouring myself many glasses of whisky and working my way through it.

I don't expect to agree with all of it, but it will be honest, and that's all I ever wanted from games journalism.

Erikolaz

Educated
Extremely engaging. Love all the insight you've gathered, like about the two competing Jack Nicholson voice actors in QFG4 (to name a random example out of many).

:love:

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath

Ouch.

Maybe a regular offset working "manually" would be cheaper, but the shipping of such a behemot would still be an issue.

For now maybe we can donate to the project and then print it ourselves locally.

aratuk

Cipher
Wait, so the title of this book is The CRPG Book Project ???

You forgot to come up with a name!!!

How about, From Gygax, to GURPS, to Gaider, with Many Points In Between ?

Or, maybe not that, but it was the first thing to mind…

I am happy and proud to have contributed a few reviews for the book :salute: If i had a time I would write more.

the book has over 310,000 words, which is about 2/3 of the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy!

This opens so many possibilities for jokes :)

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I don't care!! Tell me where to send my Trump-dollars and... Gimme my hardcover book felipepepe !!

:takemymoney:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
kA3m1cp.png

And we demand a printed collector's edition, tentatively titled The CRPG Codex. +M

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Congratulations Felipepepe, I have been following your frequent updates/excerpts on twitter for a long time and loving it. I'm sure the full thing will be a great, I hope it draws some widespread coverage and does well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom