Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 - now with lootbox drama

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Electronic Arts Inc.’s tie-in videogame “Star Wars Battlefront II” is on track to sell between 10 million and 12 million copies compared with 14 million for the first installment in 2015, according to several industry analysts. That is partly due to a plan to sell virtual goods that appeared to give big spenders a competitive edge, which it canceled just before release due to fan outcry.

An EA spokesman declined to comment.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-la...omentum-raising-concern-for-disney-1517245312

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
Electronic Arts Inc.’s tie-in videogame “Star Wars Battlefront II” is on track to sell between 10 million and 12 million copies compared with 14 million for the first installment in 2015, according to several industry analysts. That is partly due to a plan to sell virtual goods that appeared to give big spenders a competitive edge, which it canceled just before release due to fan outcry.

An EA spokesman declined to comment.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-la...omentum-raising-concern-for-disney-1517245312

tumblr_inline_o4h3l7Z7FZ1rwmsqd_500.gif

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
My cousing tends to play this a lot when he comes to my house, and even with the free dlcs the game looks pretty dead right now. Making the microtransactions return is a very stupid decision. But well, it's EA after all. You never know.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
My cousing tends to play this a lot when he comes to my house, and even with the free dlcs the game looks pretty dead right now. Making the microtransactions return is a very stupid decision. But well, it's EA after all. You never know.
Oh,with EA you always know,they will return the shit,it is a stupid decision after all.

mbv123

Arbiter
there's always going to be some moron who buys the lootboxes
better milk it while the servers are still up

Cael

Arcane
9 million is but a drop in the sea of 7 billion.

Time for a bit of chlorination of the genepool.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
9 million
A screenshot of the entire, very short, WSJ article was tweeted by WSJ reporter Sarah E. Needleman. The article itself is available only via the subscription-restricted Dow Jones Newswire.

The publication erroneously said Star Wars Battlefront 2 sold 9 million units during the quarter, but EA actually reported closer to 7m sales. EA's head money man Blake Jorgensen said, during the company's earnings call (recording available via EA's investor site, and transcript on Seeking Alpha), "We had expected the sale of about 8 million units [of SWBF2 during Q3] but we fell short of that by less than 1 million units."

Drakron

Arcane
Ahhhh 9 millions of retards....it is time for the end times.

Thats shipped, not sold in the stores and you can see stores filled with the boxes, even the consoles bundles didnt sell as stores already moved to the next bundles.The actual sold numbers are much smaller, you could argue the shipped copies count as sold but that is grasping.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Thats shipped, not sold in the stores and you can see stores filled with the boxes, even the consoles bundles didnt sell as stores already moved to the next bundles.The actual sold numbers are much smaller, you could argue the shipped copies count as sold but that is grasping.
I was thinking about this but was too lazy to check it. Publisher scum do love to exaggerate such things and the stupid journos are far too stupid to read between the lines.

Cael

Arcane

I was thinking about this but was too lazy to check it. Publisher scum do love to exaggerate such things and the stupid journos are far too stupid to read between the lines.
Chlorinate 9mill anyway, just to be safe. Just add Hollywood. That should bring it close to the 9mill.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Chlorinate 9mill anyway, just to be safe. Just add Hollywood. That should bring it close to the 9mill.
I doubt that it even hit 5 mill,there is all kind of ways to pump up numbers. Also there is a lot of refunds i take it.

Cael

Arcane

I doubt that it even hit 5 mill,there is all kind of ways to pump up numbers. Also there is a lot of refunds i take it.
Add the rest of the SJW "celebrities" then.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Contrary to the believe,sjws are not that many people,they are just loud and retarded. Also no self respecting sjw will give money for a game,let alone AAA patriarchal brand like SW. If sjws were giving money to pandering cucks by now the industry would have grown a lot. Instead we have bunch of retarded sjw studious that are failing.

Cael

Arcane

Contrary to the believe,sjws are not that many people,they are just loud and retarded. Also no self respecting sjw will give money for a game,let alone AAA patriarchal brand like SW. If sjws were giving money to pandering cucks by now the industry would have grown a lot. Instead we have bunch of retarded sjw studious that are failing.
The key point is to chlorinate the bastards. Stop talking and just do it. Press. The. Button! :D

Silva

Arcane
So the game is on a sale on PSN. How is it apart from the microtransactions? Is the gameplay actually good? Is it more to the hardcore or casual side of the spectrum? Does it rewards tactics and teamwork like Siege?

Thanks.

mbv123

Arbiter
So the game is on a sale on PSN. How is it apart from the microtransactions? Is the gameplay actually good? Is it more to the hardcore or casual side of the spectrum? Does it rewards tactics and teamwork like Siege?

Thanks.
Gameplay is trash and the game is casual shit
I never played it though so take my word with a grain of salt

CreamyBlood

Arcane

Thanks.

I assume you're talking about Battlefront 4 because you're in the lootbox thread. My assumption is that if a developer can't count past two then they'll probably have trouble programming anything at all let alone a fun game.

I did get talked into buying (against my better judgement) and playing Battlefront (3). It shows I have a grand total of five hours put into it. That's how much fun it was.

It looks pretty.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Thanks.

I assume you're talking about Battlefront 4 because you're in the lootbox thread. My assumption is that if a developer can't count past two then they'll probably have trouble programming anything at all let alone a fun game.

I did get talked into buying (against my better judgement) and playing Battlefront (3). It shows I have a grand total of five hours put into it. That's how much fun it was.

It looks pretty.
Four hours,too much mate. That is like twice the campaign. I don't even bother when i see the EA.

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
The game is great, and the progressions system just got updated, no more microtransactions.

It will also get a big FREE content patch with season 2, including Obi Wan and General Grevious from the prequels.

Good stuff, will play later in april.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
The game is shallow and empty just as it was before. Barebones TDM with barely indistinguishable classes and extra gimmick slapped on.

The only thing that could perhaps find some fun to be gained from is the starship battles because they actually made the controls for them enjoyable this time and it is almoust reminding me of Rogue Squadron games. But only almoust. It too manages to be shallow and overly arcadey.

Maybe worth at 5 dorra sale if you're really into Star Wars since it does excellent job on visuals and sounds.

I can't speak for later games in the series but Rogue Squadron 3D was shallow and quite arcadey (and still managed to be a ton of fun) so I don't think that's particularly valid criticism of Battlefront 2. The game has plenty of problems, don't get me wrong, but a flight sim Rogue Squadron was not. Now, if you were to compare Battlefront 2 to X-wing Alliance....

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I am not quite aware where I made the claim that Rogue Squadron was simulationist at all. In fact I said the overly arcadey and shallow BF2 starfighter shit reminds me of Rogue Squadron. Except Rogue Squadron was more entertaing, had more depth and while clearly arcade shooter had quite a bit more depth than this.

Then again one of them is simplistic TDM in space and another is mission driven single player experience with multiplayer slapped on in the 3rd game.

Ah, yeah, I misread your post. My apologies. I see what you're saying; I do think that Battlefront 2 has entertainment value as a Star Wars roller-coaster-and-explosions ride, but it's also fairly arguable that said ride would be more entertaining if it was a focused singleplayer experience rather than a chaotic and poorly balanced mosh pit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom