Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Are there any rogue-likes or rogue-lites with interesting character building and turn-based party combat?

I can only think of Helherron, but there are probably others...

Codex Year of the Donut
Are there any rogue-likes or rogue-lites with interesting character building and turn-based party combat? I never really liked this genre but I watched some Slay the Spire streams and that game looked pretty cool despite the card-based combat (I prefer standard RPG combat to that RNG nonsense) due to how varied the different enemy encounters are and how many different builds you can make for your characters.

Is there maybe a similar game that has normal combat without cards and maybe even party members that join you along the way?
Not quite rogue-like but may be of interest to you:
Darkest Dungeon
KeeperRL

getter77

Augur
Did anything ever happen with Incursion again?
The code was released almost 4 years ago. It then received one update 4 months after and since then no news on the site...
http://www.incursion-roguelike.net/

The new project hub is here, where it did receive a fair few updates to clean up things in general and fix at least some long standing woes----however, it has been awhile since the last update as not many other folks have jumped in to aid amidst the limited time. I hope momentum picks back up on it in time...

https://bitbucket.org/rmtew/incursion-roguelike

Suicidal

Arcane
Are there any rogue-likes or rogue-lites with interesting character building and turn-based party combat?

I can only think of Helherron, but there are probably others...

Looks like it could be interesting, I'll check it out, thanks.

Are there any rogue-likes or rogue-lites with interesting character building and turn-based party combat? I never really liked this genre but I watched some Slay the Spire streams and that game looked pretty cool despite the card-based combat (I prefer standard RPG combat to that RNG nonsense) due to how varied the different enemy encounters are and how many different builds you can make for your characters.

Is there maybe a similar game that has normal combat without cards and maybe even party members that join you along the way?
Not quite rogue-like but may be of interest to you:
Darkest Dungeon
KeeperRL

Darkest Dungeon is more like a budget X-COM than a roguelike tho. Never heard of the other one, I'll check it out.

Suicidal

Arcane
Darkest Dungeon is more like a budget X-COM than a roguelike tho. Never heard of the other one, I'll check it out.
In what way is it like X-COM?

Recruit a squad of soldiers, send them to a randomly generated mission to kill shit, bring back stuff to upgrade your base and soldiers with. The only difference is that there is a lot less of everything and that the combat is shit, that's why I said "budget" X-COM.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Suicidal You may take a look at Towers of twilight but I can't affirm it's what you're looking for, because characters' customization is basic, I think you just upgrade one stat on level up, the fun part being that it depends on where you sleep or something, I can't remember exactly. Combat is decent, with different skills, spells, enemies, weather also taking a important part as well as "number" (if you outnumber the enemies you can prevent them from using strong actions such as dragon's breaths) as well as (very systemic) non-combat interactions with the world, like different ways to make new NPCs join your party, and party size is unlimited I guess, but once again if it's deep free characters' customization you're looking for then it's not the right game.

PrettyDeadman

I remember seing a very promising tactics combat roguelike which looked absolutely amazing, but I can't find it anymore or remember how it was called.

While I try to remember, take a look at this:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Oi4bJC7.jpg

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Searched the thread and didn't find it. So here it is

The second game of the genre I liked for long enough to complete. The first was Rogue Legacy. Anyway there are two classes in this, a third one will be added since it's still in early access. You don't actually explore the world but you go from encounter to encounter, choosing paths. The encounters can be monsters which come alone or in groups, a trader and some other surprises.
You don't fight yourself but you use cards from your deck. You start with few and you add more by killing enemies, buying them. You can also upgrade each card one time. There are cards for actions like attacks or blocks, cards for powers you get the gist.
It has three levels, at the end of each is a boss. Can be very challenging if you are unlucky or build your deck without synergies. You also find relics that give you passive traits for the rest of your run but after you finish it you lose them.
Overall a worthy game in my opinion.

Just bought this after watching Rich and Jake play it for a couple of days. Which is odd, because I also usually have zero interest in either roguelikes, card games or early access games, and yet I couldn't stop myself from buying this.

My first run was abysmal, died fairly quick, then my second run:

xqkgrC3.jpg

Holy shit dude. Am I supposed to get this far yet?

And with a 20 card deck, when you're supposed to be reducing you deck:

XydzfCK.jpg

Right then, final boss... drumroll pls...

IlwC5GV.jpg

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, it gave me impervious and reaper on the first turn *rage*.

pAdufc0.jpg

Fuck.

No, wait, it's not over yet, you can try some savescumming in this game, albeit not ideal...

9CwszUb.jpg

Fuuuuuuck.

tUpxjWo.jpg

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

GRmJPPc.jpg

Wait, wot, I've got him! I've got him!

No... wait...

KHohgAw.jpg

It respwans to full health, hahahahahahaha... gotta try and kill it all in one turn now...

6ZRq5aP.jpg

Damn. So close.

Oh well, it wins, even with savescumming, guess I'll have to take my chips and eat them for this run.

Ooo... unlocked some good cards now...

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Well... after 16 hours... 16 HOURS! of mostly dying either at the first floor's boos or half-way up the second floor, I finally got the hand of my dreams:

oKqsRMg.jpg

And slayed the spire:

UZ3HfTF.jpg

l8zov9m.jpg

That was just with the fighter class though. Still got two more classes to do it with yet... and I haven't even unlocked the third class yet...

The highs and lows of this game are quite extreme, you swap between fist pumping and sticking the finger up at it in almost equal measure. I don't think it needs to be in early access, it seemed pretty complete to me, unless they're just putting the final touches on some more floors. Dunno if more floors would be overkill though.

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't think it needs to be in early access, it seemed pretty complete to me, unless they're just putting the final touches on some more floors. Dunno if more floors would be overkill though.

Early access has been bastardized for a while now into a rolling release model where developers can promise greater and greater additions and perfections to the game. It has come to the point that some games are effectively dead after they "launch" out of Early Access (e.g. Gnomoria) because what was addicting the players was not the real game per se, but the promise of a greater one.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
You can check up on what they plan on doing next and the near/faraway future here: https://steamcommunity.com/games/646570/announcements/detail/2921010811520962350

It's a fun game for sure, actually managed to win on my second run with the Silent, and couldn't do it again for another 5-10hrs. Once you get the hang of it and know how to build your deck, getting repeat-wins isn't that hard anymore though, even on Ascension 15. Still worth the money I payed for it, looking forward to the third character aswell as the daily challenges/endless mode.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Advice : If you have got a savegame in CastlevaniaRL don't make another character with the same name. :M

Codex Year of the Donut
You can check up on what they plan on doing next and the near/faraway future here: https://steamcommunity.com/games/646570/announcements/detail/2921010811520962350

It's a fun game for sure, actually managed to win on my second run with the Silent, and couldn't do it again for another 5-10hrs. Once you get the hang of it and know how to build your deck, getting repeat-wins isn't that hard anymore though, even on Ascension 15. Still worth the money I payed for it, looking forward to the third character aswell as the daily challenges/endless mode.
I've won multiple times with the Silent but I get my ass kicked as the other character tbh.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

I've won multiple times with the Silent but I get my ass kicked as the other character tbh.

Just concentrate on Strength modifiers, health, extra energy with zero curses. My last go with an Ironclad I defeated the last boss with a strike card with an attack value of 258 (strength was 252) and even then my health had dropped from 128 to 56 before I was ready for the killing strikes. I've tried all kinds of non-strength builds, but they all fall short against the end-game big-hitters, which only seem defeatable by dealing with them as quickly as possible (5 or 6 turns'ish). I keep thinking there's a decent block build in there somewhere, but with the big 40 block card being an exhaust, even with Barricade you just can't build up enough block to stop 20+ damage every turn.

[Though I still have 3 cards to unlock, maybe one of those is a block multiplier...? ]

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
The only block builds I've gotten to work with Ironclad are based on the power that grants 6 block per exhausted card- it really gets wildly out of hand in the right sort of deck. I haven't gotten it to work since I started doing ascension runs though, because you really need very specific pieces and they're too rare to reliably chase with lower resources. Entrench is a trap btw- if you can get enough block reliably enough for it to be good, you don't need it anyways. I'd also avoid getting both limit break and demon form in the same deck- they both do the same thing more or less and don't interact all that well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom