Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Somewhat off-topic, but due to the release of Zwei I want to point a game I swear was inspired by the original PS2 release: The Lost Angelic Chronicles of Frane: Dragons' Odyssey

It might be an old MSX/PC-98 genre, but an Action RPG involving a two person warrior/mage mechanic. I dunno, it's oddly familiar.

Last edited:

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Did I mention that this game looks pretty? Because damn, it does!

7w9bB9I.jpg

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Dunno, man! I mean, I get what you're saying, but even the Sequel has it's charm, in the Megaman Legends- sort of way.

Look a shit ton better than stuff like Cold Steel, that's for sure.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I love the way both games look, they represent different parts of games I enjoy growing up. Namely PS1 and PS2. Granted it was 2009 but for a budget release (clearly) I can't exactly complain.

Cold Steel is definitely a matter of preference, but I enjoy the world/environmental design of the Trails games too much that I'm willing to look past the rather generic character designs. Seriously, Scherazard is already a more interesting looking character than just young adults in uniform. Nothing is more boring than high school uniforms. Nothing. That's literally the point of a uniform, conformity and sameness.

Machocruz

Arcane
PS1, PS2 level 3D do have their own charm. Just look "muddy" in comparison because of primitive geometry and low res textures.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
More perversions that disguised as turn-based strategy/RPGs on Steam, from a Japanese doujin team called "Japan War Game Development."

No English support, fortunately or unfortunately depending on your sexual propensity I guess.

ss_ed471b14076fb84cdc6bbb1bfcdf42444f9d7dbf.600x338.jpg

ss_818aa53949c1d5d8866cda93d332134677c66dc2.600x338.jpg

ss_74ace2537e621024ad9c25d3d9c9cab1ada8cb27.600x338.jpg

It seems like Steam is becoming a viable marketplace for Japanese-only "doujin" games.

lightbane

Arcane
FUCK YES!! FINALLY!! Metal Max is the Japanese edition of Fallout that never declined, but never left Japan unfortunately enough. Hopefully this changes at long last.

Eh, it's Metal Max. Who cares about the characters? Vehicles (aka tanks) are the protagonists.
Metal-Max-Xeno_2018_01-29-18_004.png

Now that's a true beauty.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Ahhh... A bit of a shame to read that, as Tom proved quite a few times that he's a stand-up fella when it comes to these kinds of things.
https://imgur.com/a/4KzTA
If I were him, I'd say fuck censorship, fuck self-censorship, fuck trying to avoid offence, and be done with it.

That said, Xseed are pretty much the best you can get in the west about these sorts of things.

Imagine how the whole "Paradise" scene in Trails 3rd would roll out if NISA were the localizers.

EDIT:
https://af.gog.com/forum/general/in...d_marketing_part_1_93300/post55?as=1649904300

[replying to me]
Doesn't sound like you disagree with me at all! Check my replies in this thread for clarifications -- particularly my lengthy reply at the end of page 2 of the comments.

Also, I gotta say, it warms my heart to see so many people speaking out so passionately against censorship in these comments, and it doesn't bother me at all that you're all being so critical of my words -- it's important to hold developers and publishers alike accountable for behavior that you feel runs counter to freedom of expression, and it's nice to see that even I'm not immune to that, despite my very vocal anti-censorship stance. I hope I've been able to clarify my point of view sufficiently to show you guys that I really, truly am on your side here -- but if not, I'm sure you won't hesitate to let me know. ;)
lengthy reply in question:
Wow, OK. It seems in the short time I was gone from this forum, my words were quite heavily misunderstood!

I don't think you guys and I are on such opposite sides of the coin as you seem to feel we are; I think I'm just not quite making my points very clearly.

Allow me to clarify to the best of my ability.

No matter how you may feel about controversial content in games, you have to admit that on occasion, content comes up that -- if someone asks, "why is that in there?" -- the only real explanation anyone can come up with is, "for the hell of it." It doesn't fit the mood or feel of the game in any way, and seems to have been included solely for the sake of stirring the pot.

Now, there may be a deeper reason for its inclusion, which is part of why I feel it's necessary to always honor this content in localization. A lot of times, though, it's there before the creator didn't know any better -- maybe he/she saw it somewhere once and thought it was neat-looking, so he/she included it in the game without any further research whatsoever as to the possible subtler meaning behind it.

However, I believe more often than not, the real reason it's there is because the creator simply wanted to see how much he/she could get away with.

In other words, it exists as a DIRECT CHALLENGE to censorship culture. It's there because the creator knows all of his/her content is at risk of being altered or removed, and wants to see just how far he/she can push things before that happens.

What I want to see is a world where there's no need to test the waters like this; a world where creators know their content is never going to be altered or removed due to its offensive or salacious nature, so they no longer feel the need to add little things like that just to see if they can get away with them. Basically, I want a world where creators feel comfortable adding controversial content to their work whenever they feel it's appropriate to do so, without worry.

...And it would also be nice if creators educated themselves a bit more about stuff they don't understand, so they stop throwing in symbology without knowing what it actually represents. That way, if they still choose to include it, they do so with full awareness of its meaning, and can effectively defend it should the decision to include it be challenged.

That's basically all I'm saying here. I hate dealing with games that include "scandalous" content just for the sake of having it, because I hate that it's even necessary for game developers to do this; however, even in those cases, I will always defend that content, despite personally not liking it.

If that still offends or upsets anyone, I am sorry. But that is my personal view on this matter. I can't help it if I'd rather play (and thus also rather work on) games like Zwei, Brandish, and PopoloCrois -- those games are awesome, and can be localized without the constant fear of being told from above that some of their content needs to be changed.

Also, just to note: the reason I'm not mentioning any specific games or incidents by name is because most of them are from non-XSEED titles, and I don't feel it's in my place as an industry representative to blast other people's work. I just feel it would be professionally inappropriate for me to do so.

I'm sure you can all think of examples, though, where content was seemingly included "just for the hell of it," so please assume I'm talking about those titles in this discussion.
Yeah, I just can't be mad at the dude. He's precious.

Last edited by a moderator:

senhua1980

Literate
That's way IMO if Japanese games is your jam. The best way you can do is "START TO LEARN JAPANESE" because in the future we will see the more and more shitty localization for Japanese game by western publisher who want to "INTEGRATE THEIR WESTERN VALUES INTO JAPANESE GAME".

I love Japanese culture and games and I want to play the game as the creator originally intended for JAPANESE AUDIENCE but until today I cannot read Japanese, so yeah I still need of their localization for now.

Oh man cannot wait to drop NISA, NOA, KONAMI or any other shitty localization company forever.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
CyberConnect2 (Tail Concerto, .hack games, Naruto games) is opening a new studio in Montreal and developing several self-published titles for Steam, PS4, Xbox One: http://gematsu.com/2016/04/cybercon...-shooting-action-game-opening-montreal-studio

The first game is a "shooting action" game with the feel of Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.

I'm glad they're working on their own games other than licensed games. Hope they get a chance to make more exploration focused games.

https://gematsu.com/2018/01/cyberco...ects-fugue-battlefield-tokyo-ogre-gate-cesile

The latest issue of Weekly Famitsu has feature on CyberConnect2 that reveals the company’s “Next Plan” project looking forward on the next 10 years. That includes three new titles that are part of a new “Revenge Trilogy” line.

Those three titles are:
  • Fugue of the Battlefield – War x Revenge x Beasts – Shares a world view with Tail Concerto. Setting is similar to Solatorobo.
  • Tokyo Ogre Gate – Schoolgirls x Revenge x Steampunk. An action game where the scroll direction changes.
  • Cesile – Goth loli x Revenge x Witches. A 2.5D horizontal scroll action game.
According to CyberConnect2 president and CEO, the company plans to add 100 staff members over the next two years in order to work on the new line.

Revenge Trilogy

DQC32eZ.gif

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Huh, now DLSite, the Japanese digital "doujin" marketplace, is starting to publish selection of doujin games on Steam: (Japanese) https://www.gamespark.jp/article/2018/02/06/78290.html

This is the first game for the initiative:

ss_0f6c1146ab2ab480740301ee191d0acc08d2e56c.600x338.jpg

ss_75805e7bb114a4508faaed9b39affaa7bb82db88.600x338.jpg

While this game is apparently Japanese only (at least right now), they plan to add English support to games they publish.

Playism, Degica, Fruitbat Factory, and now DLSite itself. Gaijins rejoice, I guess?

vonAchdorf

Arcane
While I refrain from saying if it's good or bad, it's certainly an interesting idea to do a nearly 1:1 (content wise) recreation of the console game on mobile. The art style is obviously different and the areas are smaller, but so far the game and the cutscenes (inclusive the VO) are identical. The combat is more "convenient" than on console because you don't have to hold a button and can basically just watch it - at least in the easy fights ;)

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Ghostlight's next (potential) PC release is "a rather interesting looking dungeon crawler": http://blog.ghostlight.uk.com/post/whats-new-at-ghostlight--february-2018

What's new at Ghostlight – February 2018

Hi everyone. Between sales on Steam & GOG, and the GOG release of Way of the Samurai 3, there has been quite a bit happening here at Ghostlight so far in 2018, and it certainly hasn't been any less busy this past week, as there have been a couple of quite exciting developments.

First of all, a new build of Tokyo Xanadu eX+, which we developed for our friends at Aksys Games has very recently gone live on Steam. This version includes the option to play with Japanese text, for those of you who prefer to. It was also good practise for me, as I'm still learning the language, although sadly my time spent on this version revealed my Japanese still isn't that good. :(

In other news, I've just been given the first PC build of one of our upcoming releases: a rather interesting looking dungeon crawler. While I'm still waiting to be able to talk to you more about it, I am really enjoying it so far, and I'm sure you all will too. :)

More will be revealed as soon as we're able to do so!

Obligatory: aweigh

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
oh myyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom