Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mad Max game from Avalanche Studios

RuySan

Augur
But that beautiful desert... It trumps all those problems. That area on the east side of the map (the one with the underground church and airport) was fuckin amazing

Gorgeous game that wears a bit thin at the halfway mark once you've seen all the mission types. Zero replay value.

Felt like a promising start to a series, sequel could've expanded the scope with more interesting towns/npcs and sidequest variety. Lukewarm sales and critical reception makes it unlikely.

New Vegas with these landscapes :bounce:

Last edited:
:necro:

what a shitty game. horrible controls, uninteresting upgrades, 1/4th into the game you have unlocked everything worthwile, everything is so samey that in just the first region i explored the same ship at least three times in different places, fights are dull, boss fights are just one repeated with the same boss wearing different skins, the deformed hunchback is one of the most annoying characters ever who can't say that a dog is called "dog" but knows engineering and latin, the car handles worse than the mako, maps are mostly void filled with nothing, unlocking the same buildings over and over for all the strongholds make no sense, story is "grumpy dude wants a v8 engine and to get one he fights hordes of armies in the most irritating linear maps, dude with saw in brain keeps shouting and fighting, mutts get kicked"...
i just can't find a lone, single redeeming value to this carwreck (no trains, only cars. not even trucks, biggest you can have is a pick-up). less fun than crushing your fingers in a drawer.

Ash

Arcane
It's a typical example of the worst kind of modern open world AAA popamole.

Batman, GTAIV and Assassins Creed killed open world action games. Not that they were amazing to begin with mind you, but nowadays they're just so fucking mindless and lacking much of merit.

Play Dying Light to make up for lost time! the best modern singleplayer open world action game post-2007. And like...the only good one period.

Last edited:

Deathsquid

Learned
Hm, what makes it that good compared to most other open world games? Kinda skipped out on it.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Close combat and melee are aped from modern Batman games like arkham Asylum which instantly make them no-play for me, too much automation, these 3D Prince of Persia weren't that bad compared to this single button punchfest.

Ash

Arcane
Hm, what makes it that good compared to most other open world games? Kinda skipped out on it.

the gameplay.

-difficulty level higher than the modern AAA abysmal average. not old school hardcore, but it's better than the rest of these mindless AAA open world games. Even on normal difficulty.
-Very good skill-based platforming gameplay/innovative parkour done right, unlike that automated Ass creed crap. e.g there's a variety of parkour moves to master (or potentially die if you don't execute them when needed), to grab/mantle/climb things you have to look at the object/center it on screen each time, as opposed to merely holding a button and watch awsum animation, and the level design incorporates it very well. It's a skill-based affair that sometimes demands some level of skill above so-casual-your-grandma-could-play. skill based. Demanding, In a modern game. who would have thought.
-The first person melee combat is pretty enjoyable, again with a variety of cool moves to master.

that's about it really, but that's the core of the game. It's still very much modern open world though, with some modern design conventions (e.g not so good levelling systems), yet it is clearly a cut above the rest when it comes to gameplay, and was a lot of fun. Plain good old fashioned fun. Something missing in many corners of the game industry.

Close combat and melee are aped from modern Batman games like arkham Asylum which instantly make them no-play for me, too much automation, these 3D Prince of Persia weren't that bad compared to this single button punchfest.

Couldn't brofist enough. And people actually celebrate that garbage as some masterful innovation and the way forward, even some people that have played stuff like DMC3 or Ninja Gaiden prior :roll:

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

the gameplay.

-difficulty level higher than the modern AAA abysmal average. not old school hardcore, but it's better than the rest of these mindless AAA open world games. Even on normal difficulty.
-Very good skill-based platforming gameplay/innovative parkour done right, unlike that automated Ass creed crap. e.g there's a variety of parkour moves to master (or potentially die if you don't execute them when needed), to grab/mantle/climb things you have to look at the object/center it on screen each time, as opposed to merely holding a button and watch awsum animation, and the level design incorporates it very well. It's a skill-based affair that sometimes demands some level of skill above so-casual-your-grandma-could-play. skill based. Demanding, In a modern game. who would have thought.
-The first person melee combat is pretty enjoyable, again with a variety of cool moves to master.

that's about it really, but that's the core of the game. It's still very much modern open world though, with some modern design conventions (e.g not so good levelling systems), yet it is clearly a cut above the rest when it comes to gameplay, and was a lot of fun. Plain good old fashioned fun. Something missing in many corners of the game industry.

Couldn't brofist enough. And people actually celebrate that garbage as some masterful innovation and the way forward, even some people that have played stuff like DMC3 or Ninja Gaiden prior :roll:

Dying Light is good but the word is divided in 2 separate levels and the overall story is absolutely garbage.

Ash

Arcane
Dying Light is good but the word is divided in 2 separate levels

...so? Level-based games are bad now? I mean sure you can desire one cohesive game world for a couple legitimate reasons, but it's not really a point against the game.

and the overall story is absolutely garbage.

Yup, but who gives a shit. I am beyond caring about story when the state of modern gameplay is so bad. and there's not very much story to begin with anyways. It's a gameplayfag game.

...Well, I wouldn't say the story is absolutely garbage either, it's just standard mediocre video game story that does its job of setting the events, motivations and themes OK and something one should absolutely not invest themselves in beyond that.

Ash

Arcane
Still one of my favorite somewhat open world games? That Red Faction one that came out about a decade or so ago. THAT was a good one.

My Fav non-RPG open world action games:

Best:

Dying Light
STALKER series
GTA:SA/Vice City
GUN

Runners up/acceptable and better than the modern molepop standard but not great:

Mercenaries
Destroy all Humans 2
The Saboteur
Far Cry 4
Total Overdose
Dead Island

I'd just say ignore them all except those in the "best" category. Destroy all humans 2 is a pretty interesting case though and perhaps deserves a bump up. It's quite unique. You play as an alien and go around blasting people with anal probes and mind rays, abducting people to steal their DNA in exchange for weapon upgrades and shit, taking part in government espionage manipulating political world events and so much more, it's really quite cool and enjoyable, and better in play than it probably sounds on paper. An overlooked gem. Ignore the first, it's basically an alpha version of the sequel, and the third game in the series was released in the decline xbox 360 era and therefore as to be expected it was a let down.

I never did play Red Faction: Guerrilla Warfare or whatever it was though. Well, I did but only briefly and wasn't too impressed, but it wasn't long enough playtime to have any valid opinions or objective observations.
I'm also yet to play Mount and Blade: Warband, which is said to be good.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

...so? Level-based games are bad now? I mean sure you can desire one cohesive game world for a couple legitimate reasons, but it's not really a point against the game.

map_1100.jpg

map_1149.jpg

map_1156.jpg

If it's open world then let me go whenever I want from the start ... especially considering that I already finished the game. I don't want to play half the game again just because I want to visit the Old Town.

I don't expect you to agree with me but I would really like to have the entire world in one piece and not 3 gated levels. Normally it doesn't matter too much but it was the main reason why I did no replay the game.

Ash

Arcane
I get that may be something desirable, but I find it very unusual that it was a replay deal breaker for you, or any issue beyond "meh, what a shame". Plenty open world games have segregated maps that only open with progression, probably more open world games that do this than those that do not, and it makes a lot of sense as to why. Few come close to letting you go wherever right off the bat, and all those that do typically are RPGs.

Myself I've not replayed it yet because replay value overall isn't through the roof and it hasn't even been a year yet, but I intend to get around to it at some point because that parkour was just too fun.

RapineDel

Augur

If it's open world then let me go whenever I want from the start ... especially considering that I already finished the game. I don't want to play half the game again just because I want to visit the Old Town.

I don't expect you to agree with me but I would really like to have the entire world in one piece and not 3 gated levels. Normally it doesn't matter too much but it was the main reason why I did no replay the game.

I haven't played Dying Light but the whole "let me go anywhere from the start" is why we've ended up with so many copy/paste Ubisoft style games and Oblivion style RPGs.

Gothic did it perfectly, it makes you feel like you can go anywhere from the start without it realistically being possible unless you're an advanced player. That's the way to go as it allows for more variation in difficulty depending on where you go and ensures the loot and quest rewards aren't completely pointless like they are in most of these "go anywhere" games.

Ash

Arcane
Yeah people whined when New Vegas "didn't let you go north/wherever you wanted from that start" (even though it did if you were smart/dedicated enough), but I always thought that was a good thing for the sake of story and gameplay pacing. Open world games should have some direction and pacing too!

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
the car handles worse than the mako
Eh? The car's just fine.

Yeah people whined when New Vegas "didn't let you go north/wherever you wanted from that start" (even though it did if you were smart/dedicated enough), but I always thought that was a good thing for the sake of story and gameplay pacing. Open world games should have some direction and pacing too!
I honestly don't recall that being a common criticism.

Ash

Arcane
I think it was something FO3 fan-tards often said in attempt to maintain their dumb opinion that it is a superior game to New Vegas. "FO3 let you go anywhere right from the start[*], New Vegas didn't!"

*well, post-tunnel snakes rule vault party and all that highly engaging stuff :D

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Myself I've not replayed it yet because replay value overall isn't through the roof and it hasn't even been a year yet, but I intend to get around to it at some point because that parkour was just too fun.

Yeah. The gameplay is fun.

But the entire survival aspect of the game was a major let down. Mechanically they had all the elements for a great survival game but after a couple of hours the entire experience became a walk in the park. In fact, I was looking forward to gather as much zombies in one place and then kill them all with a trapped car or my super awesome electric machete :) Also I was zipping from building to building with that grappling hook. Nothing could touch me. Fuck Spiderman. Fuck Batman. Then the night experience became a joke ... and then I've started doing the motions.

Bottom line: It's a good game. I was raving about it on release but the overall story is sub-par. Yeah, even open word games need a story and pacing.

Modron

Arcane
what a shitty game. horrible controls, uninteresting upgrades, 1/4th into the game you have unlocked everything worthwile, everything is so samey that in just the first region i explored the same ship at least three times in different places, fights are dull, boss fights are just one repeated with the same boss wearing different skins, the deformed hunchback is one of the most annoying characters ever who can't say that a dog is called "dog" but knows engineering and latin, the car handles worse than the mako, maps are mostly void filled with nothing, unlocking the same buildings over and over for all the strongholds make no sense, story is "grumpy dude wants a v8 engine and to get one he fights hordes of armies in the most irritating linear maps, dude with saw in brain keeps shouting and fighting, mutts get kicked"...
i just can't find a lone, single redeeming value to this carwreck (no trains, only cars. not even trucks, biggest you can have is a pick-up). less fun than crushing your fingers in a drawer.
You should play Shadows of Mordor next and then the Saboteur :troll:.

shadows of mordor exhausted its content after 20 minutes, all the remaining hours are filler. i'm not saying that filler is bad per se, but at least give me something to let me fill that void myself, be interesting mechanics, puzzles, a captivating plot, a beautiful landscape... both this game and som have none.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom