Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

POLL: Games that you wish would get a Sequel or Remake

Which of the following renowned games will EVER receive an official sequel or remake?

• Total voters

Jason Liang

Arcane
If you think of a game not listed, just post it and I shall add it (if worthy). I'm pretty open, but it needs to be a game that had enough success or cult success that a remake or sequel is feasible. No one thinks Arkista's Ring will ever get a sequel.

An official "spiritual" sequel can count as a sequel. Also allow semi-official "spiritual" sequels like Tides of Numeria.

System ports, translations, remasters and re-releases do not count as a remake. Sid Meier's Pirates!, The Gabriel Knight, Master of Orion, and Jagged Alliance 2 remakes are all examples of what count as a remake. DLC Expansions (like Age of Mythology) do not count as a sequel or remake.

UPDATE: Changed the title of the thread to be more broad. Thread is for discussing the games that you wish would get a modern remake or sequel, as well as discussing existing remakes (and demakes) in general, but POLL is still ONLY which games you predict WILL get a remake or sequel.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
You can't even get the fucking names of the titles right, bring up obscure titles without explaining why they should deserve a sequel/remake in the first place, and your definition of "remake" is all over the place.

I know how things are on your end, but that's no excuse to not do things properly.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Wait, what name did I get wrong?

And that's why there's a thread, so we can discuss the issues.

A remake means completely remaking the game or near to it, like the Master of Orion remake or the Pirates! remake.

Ok, I see, THE Battle OF Olympus. Anything else?

Most of these games were either popular or critically aclaimed on release, developed a cult fanbase, or have been rumored to have sequels or remakes. Many were popular enough to have been ported to several platforms or recently remastered or rereleased on modern systems. Not sure which ones you consider "obscure." Jackal, The Battle of Olympus and Crystalis are considered three of the best games released on the NES and the original publishers (Konami and SNK) or designer (The Battle of Olympus) still exist or are still alive. Crystalis's characters have even appeared in SNK's The King of Fighters games.

Arcanum, Darklands, Steel Empire, L.A. Noire, Skies of Arcadia, Primal Rage and Chaos Overlords all had sequels in development at some point. Primal Rage 2 was alleggedly finished, although it was never officially released. But there's supposed to be a working ROM of the game the can be run on a modified MAME emulator.

Also, it's worth noting that a lot of these "should have had sequels but didn't" games were published by Br0derbund, including The Battle of Olympus and The Last Express (which I considered for the poll). WTF happened to Br0derbund anyway, they made like a zillion dollars off of Myst.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
There was an official sequel to SMAC. It was called Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth. :troll:

Also, Grim Fandango already did get a remake.

Jason Liang

Arcane
There was an official sequel to SMAC. It was called Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth. :troll:

Also, Grim Fandango already did get a remake.

No it did not. It got a remaster.

Beyond Earth is NOT a sequel to SMAC. And you know it.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron

Fine, but why are you listing games that clearly won't benefit from a full-on remake in any way? There is no reason to ever do a full remake of Grim Fandango, and it's very unlikely to happen even if there were a reason, since it's recently been remastered.

Beyond Earth is NOT a sequel to SMAC. And you know it.

No, but it's representative of the best we could possibly expect from such a sequel, so you might as well go ahead and be just as depressed as you'd be if it were a direct sequel.

Jason Liang

Arcane

Fine, but why are you listing games that clearly won't benefit from a full-on remake in any way? There is no reason to ever do a full remake of Grim Fandango, and it's very unlikely to happen even if there were a reason, since it's recently been remastered.

Because fans have wanted a sequel? It's on top of nearly every list of games that deserve to have a sequel.

Jason Liang

Arcane
A TON of old games have been remade in recent years. A good example is Wonder Boy 3. Who would have thought someone would remake a Master System game like Wonder Boy 3?

214066.jpg

MEKAcastle.gif

So anything is possible, especially with kickstarter campaigns.

Another example, Duck Tales.

6.jpg

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Well, virtually any game could qualify for this list, so really this thread is "Discuss all these games Jason Liang listed for whatever reason." Probably not going to generate too much interest without a narrower focus.

Anyway, SMAC might get a sequel, but it wouldn't matter because it'll just be Civ 7 on a weird-ass planet.

Jason Liang

Arcane
If you have some games you think should be added to the poll, I shall add them if they're reasonable.

And I already considered some more recent games like Age of Decadence. Too edgy.

With SMAC, I think we'd all be MORE THAN HAPPY with a remake. Updated graphics, sound, GUI, multiplayer support and AI. Maybe a DLC with new factions and storyline (perhaps expanding gameplay to colonize Nessus and Pholus, or return to reclaim an irradiated Earth - potential Fallout crossover!).

Last edited:

Deathsquid

Learned
I'd like a sequel to Unreal. It was a good game and I'm not sure why they never made a second game and just focused on spin-offs.

mbv123

Arbiter
I'd rather get fucking nothing rather than a disgusting pile of shit that passes as a "remake" or "spiritual successor" or whatever the fuck they call it now.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'd like to see Space Marine 2. I still reinstall SM1 every now and again and play it for a while. I think they nailed the setting and the gameplay is fine, if nothing really special.

Also, they should make a Gorkamorka game

Jason Liang

Arcane
JA 2 did get a fairly recent remake: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action.

Unreal also did have a sequel, Unreal II. Magic Candle actually had TWO sequels.

With franchise properties like Warhammer 40k, it's hard to know where to draw the line. For example, the new Battletech game is going to essentially be a spiritual sequel to Mechcommander, and although there won't be a true sequel to Temple of Elemental Evil, one day we are going to get another turn-based D&D rpg that's going to follow ToEE's blueprint.

The reason that I put KOTOR 2 on the poll is that I'm stunned that Bioware never made a KOTOR 3 given the success of the first two games. So while yes, I'm sure that we will get more Star Wars computer games and even more Star Wars RPGs, the question is will we ever see another Bioware Star Wars RPG?

jagged_alliance_back_in_action.1920xauto.jpg

ff2d374a-be12-4a73-b1fe-fafbf4a7b22f.jpg

screen800x500.jpeg

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
Yes but Firaxis was smart enough NOT to claim Beyond Earth as an actual SMAC sequel.

Still I don't understand why the fuck Firaxis doesn't actually remake or sequel SMAC/ SMAX. Imagine what they could do now with current technology and graphics. Underwater and underground maps. Actual different bases for each faction - Hive bases that tunnel beneath the Earth like boreholes. Gaian bases that slowly grow from trees. Nautilus Pirates being a roving, mobile armada. Data Angels having no actual bases, but embedded and infiltrated in every other faction. FMV faction leaders! You don't even need to use a keyboard to play the game, control the whole game by voice command! "Open up a channel to that bastard nigger jew." That'd be awesome.

Ivan

Arcane
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - I miss that particular feeling of dread this game evokes so effortlessly through audio and visual effects

Mark of the Ninja - still my favorite stealth game to ghost

Red Faction Armageddon - one of the most entertaining TPS games I've played. great arsenal.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I hope for new remakes of Baldur's Gate 1 EE and Baldur's Gate 2 EE. Beamdog's version of BG1 EE is hardly more than a patch, and I doubt their version of BG 2 EE is any better.

Yes but Firaxis was smart enough NOT to claim Beyond Earth as an actual SMAC sequel.

Still I don't understand why the fuck Firaxis doesn't actually remake or sequel SMAC/ SMAX. Imagine what they could do now with current technology and graphics. Underwater and underground maps. Actual different bases for each faction - Hive bases that tunnel beneath the Earth like boreholes. Gaian bases that slowly grow from trees. Nautilus Pirates being a roving, mobile armada. Data Angels having no actual bases, but embedded and infiltrated in every other faction. FMV faction leaders! You don't even need to use a keyboard to play the game, control the whole game by voice command! "Open up a channel to that bastard nigger jew." That'd be awesome.

or... or they could come up with "beyond earth".

Xzar

Augur
From these - only LA Noire, preferably set in SF during the same era. This game can be continued much like Sherlock Holmes games from Frogwares, structure is there.
From others - I want Golden Axe and Streets of Rage reboot, Witcher-like game in Conan setting with Arnie likeness and voiceover, remasters or faithful remakes of Silent Hill 1-3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom