Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Killed Maerwald, it was easier than I expected, I managed to burst him down quite fast. The phantom fight in the main hall almost ended my run, I was down to 1 guy and he managed to kill the last phantom.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Yeah, Maerwald fight is huge letdown - he's supposed to be the first mini boss, and it turns out you can mow him down without any strategy and without any reload, regardless of your party or difficulty.

PotD gets gradually easier once you get to Defiance Bay, the only things I would watch out on ironman are the druids and demalgan packs - always had to reload at least once when trying to clear Stormwall Gorge before getting to Defiance or Dyrford. Lions at the north-east end of Wooded Plains can be a pain too.

Is monk any fun to play in PoE?
It's the only class I never rolled with tbh.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Is monk any fun to play in PoE?
It's the only class I never rolled with tbh.

Not really. Since they can use weapons and armor, they feel like Fighters or Barbarians. I've never liked the class design in PoE, they feel very homogeneous and interchangeable. Now PoE2 suffers from that as well, since multi-classing is introduced, every class plays like any other.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I used a monk on PotD. Light Armor. Make him hit as fast as possible and make sure he has high accuracy. Build up wounds and dish out damage. I do admit that I had to babysit him, though. If anyone in my party fell, it was him.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i had a lot of fun giving Durance the Monk-Fist cross-class talent along with the Fighter-Recovery cross-class talent and also the Interrupting Blows talent and then dressing him up in Osric's Family Breastplate and having him run into melee and punch people while casting Priest buffs on himself/party and setting up 'Seals' like repulsing one as "traps" around himself.

Then again this was my most recent PotD playthrough which I posted about a few pages ago on this very thread and I intentionally set out to make as random and goofy party/talent combinations as possible while still being PotD-viable.

Was quite fun, and if anything at the very least it proved beyond any shadow of a doubt that the Priest class in PoE 1 is most definitely, most inarguably "OP". They truly lack for nothing.

if i remember aright I also made Aloth a direct-damage dealer and intentionally avoided using any CC spells while concentrating on making him an interrupter by giving him Interrupting Blows and Penetrating Shot and having him use fast-casting spells like Thrust of Tattered Veils, the various Missile ones and the Necro-Lance one; even gave Aloth the normally useless Grimoire Slam except it actually ended up being of acceptable usability with a sky-high interruption rating.

Interrupting Blows talent itself is an interesting one, and at least in 3.07 version of PoE 1 it is quite useful in many different builds/classes/situations. Of course though it is 'useful' it is not by any means 'optimal'. But like I said, I wanted to see how goofy I could make my PotD party without making the game a chore to play.

Ended up having a lot of fun by intentionally avoiding optimal strats.

EDIT: also made Sagani a two-handed Interrupting Morningstar-user using Eder's Unique Scale Mail armor, with dumped DEX, dumped INT, and maxed-out STR, CON and RESOLVE.

was surprisingly very fun to have Ituumak knock down enemies for Sagani to then Morningstar to death in one huge swing, heh.

Ranger's high natural Accuracy was the impetus for making her an interrupting two-hander along with prospect of having enemy occupied by animal companion.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Barb in PoE is kinda similar to rogue in a way - vulnerable melee DPS. The main difference is that the dmg is spread among few mobs, instead of concentrated on one.

This makes him less viable on PotD, at least at the beginning, where it's better to shred something fast and move to the next one, instead of chipping everyone slowly. Later on he's catching up - mailny due to 2H on-crit weapons.

Yeah, but that's not really true. Unless you build and equip him to be a glass cannon that is.
Rogue is low defense, low endurance & low health.
Barb is medium defence, highest endurance & highest health. And it's quite viable to use heavy armor and have moderately high defence, particularly while dual wielding, which can reach 0 Recovery anyway. There are even pretty good shield Barbarian builds (and OP retaliation Barb builds, although they have been nerfed, as I understand) .

Highest Health all the classes, combined with possibly high Strenght for healing effect boost, makes Endurance regeneration effects exceptionally potent on Barbarians. They have the Savage Defiance Talent. Coupled with other sources, like possibly Shod-In-Faith and Moon Godlike Silver Tide make the Barb almost unkillable - as long as his Health pool lasts. Good news is that his Health pool is the greatest of all the classes and with some Con it can become truly monstrous. I think he's actually a very good candidate for the Wound Binding Talent, to keep him rocking even longer between the rests. With high might and some health boosting talents he can restore over 1000 health in 1 use, I think.

So they do take damage (unless built to be tanky, which is viable), but can recover it rapidly as well. And dish out even more.
Only enemies they are kinda weak against are the major bosses with huge Deflection and Fortitude. They can be debuffed to be fought effectively by the Barb... but other classes do it better. Then again, most of them have minions... and the Barb really owns hordes of regular mobs. Even moreso if they have low Fortitude (or get Fort debuffed, which the Priest can easily do with Painful Interdiction). For example Llengrath went down so fast I couldn't believe it.

Last edited:

Piotrovitz

Savant
True to much extent, maybe I just always built him as a glass cannon and haven't consider anything else.

He has a bit higher endurance pool, but deflection is on par with rogue and priest, means the lowest possible. And on PotD you do not want to get hit.
You can pump him resolve/constitution and put medium armor so he can take some beating, but still, with low deflection he will go down every now and then, unless you build/gear him specifically.

Btw that's my usual priest portait you're having there lol

LizardWizard

Cipher
Barb weak ? :what:

Barb is probably the most broken melee class currently with the new deadfire dlc cannoneer belt. But never at any point were they not viable on potd. My biggest gripe about the class was back when Heart of Fury was per rest but now that it's per encounter you can pretty much delete the the entire the screen if you know what you're doing.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I like how this 5/10 mediocre game warrants multiple playthroughs and provides deep discussions about party compositions and character building :smug:

Piotrovitz

Savant
Barb weak ?

Barb is probably the most broken melee class currently with the new deadfire dlc cannoneer belt. But never at any point were they not viable on potd. My biggest gripe about the class was back when Heart of Fury was per rest but now that it's per encounter you can pretty much delete the the entire the screen if you know what you're doing.

No one said he's weak, except aweigh dude who compared him to gimped fighter (lol).
All classes and party builds are viable on PotD, and that's one of the beauties of PoE.

Haven't played with deadfire dlc yet, but last time I checked, most of the new items were OPd as fuck.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Haven't played with deadfire dlc yet, but last time I checked, most of the new items were OPd as fuck.
Yeah and not only that, they are also a bit.... Out of place? You suddenly dress up like pirates and it doesn't fit the context at all

Lacrymas

Arcane
I like how this 5/10 mediocre game warrants multiple playthroughs and provides deep discussions about party compositions and character building :smug:

Like I said, the combat is fine and it provides enough of a challenge to want to Triple Crown it. I don't read any of the text, nor "immerse myself in the experience".

Kaivokz

Arcane

Like I said, the combat is fine and it provides enough of a challenge to want to Triple Crown it. I don't read any of the text, nor "immerse myself in the experience".

Are you going for frozen crown? If so, watch out for the bounty on the far eastern side of the world map—after the first five hours, that’s the only fight that almost cost me my ultimate run.

Accuracy focused Wizard with ninagauths shadowflame & petrify will trivialize a lot of encounters, but it’s a little cheesy.

Undead Raedric drops some of the best plate armor in the game, so I’d say it’s worth killing him at some point.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Undead Raedric drops some of the best plate armor in the game, so I’d say it’s worth killing him at some point.
Not to mention he gives like 30k exp, which is fucking crazy.
On some of the runs I avoided him along with some bounties, just to not reach level cap too fast.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Never used IE mod before - can you adjust xp gain per each quest?

Level progression is mostly pretty balanced through the game, it's just those bounties and undead raedric quests that need to be toned the fuck down. The amount of xp they throw at you is obscene.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It's not balanced at all, you'll be max level way before you run out of stuff to do. You'll hit level cap at around the start of WM. I vaguely remember getting to max level in the mine at Stalwart, which means you'll be max level for the entire last quarter of the game, if not the last third.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
It's not balanced at all, you'll be max level way before you run out of stuff to do. You'll hit level cap at around the start of WM. I vaguely remember getting to max level in the mine at Stalwart, which means you'll be max level for the entire last quarter of the game, if not the last third.

I went to whitemarch at act 2 and got to act 3 with a maxed party then I level-scaled the content when it asked in twin elms. It felt p. balanced like that.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Sure you hit the cap long before the end game, but assuming you're not doing bounties, I'd say the levelling has pretty good pace most of the time. And the upscale option for WM1/2 has been implemented nicely, so you will still have some challenge, even with maxed out party. Not saying the system is perfect by any means.

The huge pro of level cap is that on the multiple playthroughs you can skip boring/tedious quests, knowing you won't end up underpowered. Lots of people seem to forgot about this while bitching about caps in RPGs.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
talking about poe XP caps and its balance or lack thereof without having used, or using the IE Mod is like:

- playing Gothic 3 without community patch
- playing Bloodlines without fan patch
- playing Kotor 2 without community patch
- playing ToEE without Co8 mod/patch

what i'm getting at is that the whole conversation is moot once IE Mod is utilized. continuing to argue or debate the matter (in this case reaching XP/level caps) without agreeing that it is a thought-exercise and nothing more, since it is a solved issue, is just...

...well, i guess it's just Codex standard behavior; arguing about something that is already 'solved' simply because the arguing parties are either too lazy to parse the 'solution' or have some axe-to-grind be it either concerning Mods/Patches in general or simply because they want to continue arguing about this massive flaw they have found in the game (the xp/level caps) while conveniently ignoring that someone else already fixed it for them.

Other things IE Mod helps 'solve' that are constantly discussed:

- (Personal favorite aspect of IE Mod) options to disable Visual FX for Modals, Stances and all Weaponry Enchantment.
- Additional toggle for disabling cloak graphics.

These two toggles help a ton with aiding/providing better visual clarity during combat.

What else does IE Mod assuage or solve in some way, be it partly or completely?

Go find out for yourself by using it!

Lacrymas

Arcane
So, lost the Chanter with an animat fight in Ondra's Gift, not really a big deal since I was already level 5 and could replace him immediately, but he's still 2k experience behind everyone else. Oh, well. I also lost Gaun's Share which was on his corpse, I looted everything and can't find it now, neither in the normal inventories nor the stash.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
This game is so buggy I can't even. Now I lost all my items on the Chanter, but they still show up as passive abilities he has and if I equip another item in their slot it's gone forever.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
use IE Md plus add/remve ittttttems and abiliies////////////////////alens

Lacrymas

Arcane
I want the achievement if I manage to do it, though :p

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom