Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
While I'm enjoying MGSV well enough, this project of playing through all of them has proven once and for all that MGS2 is my favorite game in the series. I just like the puzzle nature of its smaller maps, or maybe i'm just getting burned out by MGS. Regardless, the franchise is worse off without Fukushima.

Gameplay in MGS3 is some of the best in the series (until MGSV) and the story is so much different than the previous two games it stands out as my favorite, but MGS2 has the story twists I really crave in the franchise. I find it hard to pick a favorite out of the first three games. Going back to MGS on the PSX the controls are a little quirky, so that holds back some of the fun factor on that one. If they stopped at MGS3 it would have been legendary. It is a shame Fukushima gets almost no credit aside from the hardcore fanbase.

oh shit, sup tO. if you want to go back to MGS1, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/metalgears..._full_release_metal_gear_solid_1_integral_pc/

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
:roll: Calm down you dumbass no one is stalking you. Once you comment on a thread, you automatically watch the thread and get notifications.

I know it how works in terms of the forum software. Imagine you've moved from playing one game and posting in its megathread to playing a second game and posting in its megathread, but then the same guy who was spewing nonsense about the last game shows up right alongside you and continues spewing nonsense about the new one. It's like Pariah Dog, forum edition.

I don't have a problem with subjective differences of opinion, but when people are actually full of shit regarding factual information, then I do get slightly annoyed. According to you, all (beg pardon, most of) the areas in Afghanistan have sand, limestone buildings, weathered wood scaffolding, and flaking paint, and they're all staffed by Soviet soldiers. Therefore, they're exactly the same. Fuck you. That's nothing more than an intellectually bankrupt smear campaign.

If you want the rest of my DS3 opinions, you can scroll back to the DS3 page and read my opinions on it when I played it.

What I wanted was your rebuttal to my criticisms of the game, instead of avoiding them at all costs. I never got it, though, and I don't care anymore because I'm totally done with the game.

Fixed in the HD release for PS3

HD Snake Eater was one of the very few games that induced me to eventually buy a PS3.

Series best game. It could have been MGS2, but Kojima had been reading too many manga in the early 2000s and bait-and-switched Snake with spiky blonde hair anime ninja faggot. I've come to accept Raiden since then, since he's otherwise well portrayed, but replace Snake? Shit, I'm still butthurt about it. I still played the shit out of that game, though.

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
spiky blonde hair anime ninja faggot.

Never really got the whole uproar about Raiden. If you ignore the og MG games, Snake was only in one game before MGS2, so I dunno why people were so attached to him. I could see it now, after half a dozen games spanning over two decades, but back then?¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, I really can't get over how silent Snake is this time around and how fucking weird it is to not hear David Hayter's voice

sullynathan

Arcane
What I wanted was your rebuttal to my criticisms of the game
I rebutted what I wanted to rebut. I didn't completely disagree with the other 2 points you had so why waste my time especially when I had already expressed my thoughts on Souls 3?
Plus what I did rebut, I was correct about.

I don't have a problem with subjective differences of opinion, but when people are actually full of shit regarding factual information, then I do get slightly annoyed. According to you, all (beg pardon, most of) the areas in Afghanistan have sand, limestone buildings, weathered wood scaffolding, and flaking paint, and they're all staffed by Soviet soldiers. Therefore, they're exactly the same.

They feels the same when you've gone through the exact same area dozens of times over. I play games in a completionist manner. If I went through a canyon once in a side op, I scour the area thoroughly and take down every enemy in different ways while making sure I get almost all resources, destroy all comm centers & radio towers and unlock all doors. This is not as fun nor is it as interesting when you do it multiple times again.
That's not even the end of my criticism towards the open world.

Wulfstand

Prophet
I want to give the game a go, is it worth grabbing the 'Definitive Version', or should I just grab the standard TPP edition? I've already finished GZ. Have there been any good missions added to the game via dlc, or am I not missing anything of value?

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I want to give the game a go, is it worth grabbing the 'Definitive Version', or should I just grab the standard TPP edition? I've already finished GZ. Have there been any good missions added to the game via dlc, or am I not missing anything of value?
Just play the regular version they added nothing of real value.

Also, Sam, come visit faggot.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
While I'm enjoying MGSV well enough, this project of playing through all of them has proven once and for all that MGS2 is my favorite game in the series. I just like the puzzle nature of its smaller maps, or maybe i'm just getting burned out by MGS. Regardless, the franchise is worse off without Fukushima.

It's not so much even the puzzle-like nature of the older level design of the series, more it being non-stop engaging gameplay (if you skip the cutscenes) and attention to detail + more points of interest per area rather than literal square miles of space with nothing much of interest in them, and constant riding horses to the next objective marker.
Same shit that has happened with open world games in general, e.g vice city and san andreas vs GTAV. Morrowind vs Skyrim etc. they were smaller worlds, but were more compact with actual engaging content. I play games for the gameplay first and foremost, as should any sensible individual, so the cinematic walking sim nature of many modern games is a real bummer.

There's also the fact that MGS5 just ain't particularly challenging, what with being able to take an absolute battalion of shots, then regen your health by hiding behind a rock and sucking your thumb. among other things. People saying MGSV has the best gameplay in the series deserve a slap. Better controls. Yes. Better gameplay to cutscene ratio, yes. Other than that it's let down by the typical modern shit like bland level design and popamole game mechanics that the older games never suffered from.

I ranted about this shit in the other Kojima's Cucks thread before but someone above wrote how MGSV has the best gameplay of the series and I got autistically triggered.

Ash

Arcane

Suck your thumb behind a rock regen health? awsum slow time powerz? Riding horses to the next objective marker rinse and repeat?

Pretty sure San Andreas was big as fuck and much larger than previous GTA games combined.

Big? Somewhat, though still notably smaller than the average modern open world game and more importantly they still managed to fill it with meaningful content.
Modern open world games suffer from "wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle" syndrome.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
I feel like most of the complaints about level design are actually complaints about mission/objective design... which is kind of meh, not even counting side-ops here. GZ had more imagination in its side-ops than 75% of main missions in TPP. I think an explanation of this was the focus on the base-building/management aspect, making most missions a variation of "extract this" (even if the contract was to kill the target, but I guess everybody tried to extract first, specially with ocelot pestering you on how it would be a shame to kill the talented targets). Also most of the optional objective were pure fluff that added little to the experience. I enjoyed replaying the missions just to try different approaches but not for the optional objectives.

Also they could've designed interesting scenarios that don't involve infiltrating in enemy outposts. MGS 3 didn't have many interiors (which is what people claim the spirit of MGS is) but you had lots of infiltration in the wilderness (kinda like that mission in V where you have to extract the containers from the jungle, why not make more missions using the actual landscape?). And before I forget, the open world was very underutilized in main missions as well, you either had to operate in a small portion of the terrain or just travel for a minute in linear ways to the next base. The Backup Back Down mission was an exception to this, from the moment you start you have to make decisions about where to go, how, and when, and being constantly in the move. You couldn't also cheese it in replays by going to "special spot to finish the objective" like other missions that tried to use the open world (like Traitor's Caravan)... well, you could just eliminate a single armored vehicle, but you would get a shit ranking in the process. Now that I mention it, this is another way in which the game could have been improved, instead of having a ranking system with universal rules, make it so that each mission has special requirements to get the S-Rank. In a nutshell, they could've done a lot more to make the game more interesting without altering the level design. It's a shame because I really like the mechanics and variety of playstyles that the game offers.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
They really did need another big interior infiltration spot though. Even if they just reused the Ground Zeroes map.

sullynathan

Arcane
Suck your thumb behind a rock regen health? awsum slow time powerz? Riding horses to the next objective marker rinse and repeat?
You've had object markers since San Andreas. GTA 4 introduced GPS because in real life, we have GPS.

Big? Somewhat, though still notably smaller than the average modern open world game and more importantly they still managed to fill it with meaningful content.
Modern open world games suffer from "wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle" syndrome.
San Andreas is bigger than many modern open world games, like MGSV for example. Meaningful content like?

mission/objective design
They go hand in hand

Ivan

Arcane
MGSV does have the best gameplay of the series. There just aren't enough handcrafted levels in the game to take advantage of it.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
I am enjoying Ground Zeroes. Don't care about the story since the only Metal Gear I've played before is Revengeance. Actual stealth mechanic is a joke, but the map is interesting so I had fun playing cat-and-mouse with the enemies, especially since there is no unrestricted save.

Mission and side-ops are fun, it's true you're very powerful for a stealth game characters but you have to plan entries and escape carefully, since mission targets will usually make it hard for you if you just go all out. It makes for a cool action movie scenario where you find the target without being detected and hid them inside a truck then drive away to somewhere safe (While being fired at by enemies), where you hid for a while before calling in your helicopter.

The regenerating health is of course a decline on paper but in practice I'd only notice it if I'm running straight to the objective with enemies on my tail, so it's kinda OK. Slow-mo is almost useless, in this kind of game it is only useful to take out enemies before they call help, but it would only do that if you happen to have a suppressed primary weapon... which degrades like a rusty pipe. Tranq pistol takes time to work, so non-lethal weapon isn't OP.

Overall it should be a generic action game on paper, but the map, the missions, the player's arsenal, and the restricted save made it one of the best generic action game I've ever played.

... Oh, but it seems the main game itself had very few of what made GZ good, from what I read on this thread.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Considering that GZ it’s actually an episode of TPP sold separatedly, the main game has what made GZ good and more.

Only those who jumped in the TPP hate bandwagon will say that GZ is superior to the main game, with “muh camp omega design” and stuff.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
I'm not wasting my bandwidth and money for TPP until next semester so that has to wait.

Also, now that I remember it, I remember doing the same escape plan scenario stuff on the Ubisoft's Far Cry games, but they are less memorable.

Ocelot

Learned
Yep, Ground Zeroes is actually one of the best missions/levels in stealth history.

A pity the full game is a half-finished mess.

Phantom Pain should have been two entries IMO. The first one should end at chapter 1, then have bonus/subsistence missions only. The second one should have the few events that take place during chapter 2 plus the "Kingdom of Flies" chapter to properly finish the story. I don't get why Kojima didn't end Phantom Pain at chapter 1 instead of trying to fit literally everything into one game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom