Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Greatest Gaming Moment

Silva

Arcane
Can something surpass the first entry at UNATCO in Deus Ex?

Fuck these so called "role-playing" games. None of those ever gave me a stronger sense of being there, in this future earth, in the shoes of a badass special agent alter-ego, than that moment, and that music. It's the essence of what video gaming is. The Godfather in electronic form.

But go ahead plebs, cite something that surpass it. Amuse me.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Booting Unreal and seeing the castle flyby sequence for the first time. Most probably the thing that wowed me the most out of any game I've played. It's even better when the game itself is amazing.
Another that comes to mind is playing Thief 1's Cragscleft Prison for the first time. I mean, I was very impressed with Bafford and thought Thief was already a great game, but when I finished this mission I knew that game was in its own league entirely, far above everything else I played in terms of immersion.

Dyspaire

Cipher
You had to be there, but when Ultima Underworld was first released, those first few moments of moving around in the game world were pretty astonishing.

The fact that the game itself lived up to such a wondrous technological advancement was also pretty astonishing.

Beastro

Arcane
The Superman bug that hit a version of Battlefield 1942 that allowed you fly into the air, then parachute down. On the Berlin mao it allowed you to fall down into the burned out buildings right by the Allied spawn point and could mercilessly gun em down and collect their weapons to keep going.

The butthurt was legendary.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
You had to be there, but when Ultima Underworld was first released, those first few moments of moving around in the game world were pretty astonishing.

The fact that the game itself lived up to such a wondrous technological advancement was also pretty astonishing.

Played UU in 2011 my first reaction was "it was really released before the Doom? Wow". And I think that clunky control gave it more charm to the exploration, empowering the sense of "first steps in hostile and unknown environment".

Gotta agree with skacky - Unreal was out of this world experience, bite me for saying this but it was similar experience to Another World when you swim up and find yourself in an alien world...

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
Wolfenstein 3D with Soundblaster audio was something that blew my mind at the time. Seeing Myst for the first time on my friends Mac was also really impressive.

Master

Arbiter
Unreal had that moment when the lights go out in a hallway. Not the greatest moment ever but I can't think of anything else right now.

Prime Junta

First successful Mun landing in Kerbal Space Program ranks pretty highly for me.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Can something surpass the first entry at UNATCO in Deus Ex?

Entering 'The Glow' in Fallout 1 for the first time.

You could almost smell the dread,fear and remorse of the place.

maxresdefault.jpg

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
The release of Grimwah, obviously.

Ground trembled, clouds parted and golden rays of light struck the earth from the heavens as the Golden Baby descended to bestow the divine gifts of monocled entertainment upon mankind. The unwashed masses of Robert Sirotek fled before the the tsunami of incline as the 'Thal prophet issued his proclamation to humanity.

"Let there be incline.", and there was incline.

Uncle Skull

Educated
Entering the Valley of Mines in Gothic II, having played the first game beforehand.

Honorable mention: killing the C-consciousness ending of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I'm not a big story guy normally but the single most memorable moment for me has to be

Don't trust the skull.

Deathsquid

Learned
Uninstalling Oblivion.

Someone had to

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom