Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Wellspring: Altar of Roots - tactical RPG inspired by JRPGs (formerly Bevontule)

MTG_Derek

Multithreaded Games
Developer
Thanks, friend! We're off to a really good start and hopefully we can sustain the momentum!

Last edited by a moderator:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Can I send you guys money directly via PayPal? I don't use Kickstarter directly anymore. I'm expecting a no, so I'll wait for the PayPal option once you have enough money. For now, I will share the campaign on as many places as I can.

MTG_Derek

Multithreaded Games
Developer
Can I send you guys money directly via PayPal? I don't use Kickstarter directly anymore. I'm expecting a no, so I'll wait for the PayPal option once you have enough money. For now, I will share the campaign on as many places as I can.

We really, really, REALLY appreciate the sentiment, but I'd prefer to wait and ensure that we're funded, at which time we'll almost surely run a 'post-funding campaign', where you would be free to donate via Paypal. I really appreciate the shares and constant updates, btw.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Count me in. I don't know if and when I'll play because life is becoming very busy but I loved the premise immediately

*I always pronounced the game bevontUle not bevOntule :p

MTG_Derek

Multithreaded Games
Developer
Count me in. I don't know if and when I'll play because life is becoming very busy but I loved the premise immediately

*I always pronounced the game bevontUle not bevOntule :p

Haha, don't worry, you're not alone! I feel like we may have possibly picked the least phonetic name in existence :salute:

MTG_Derek

Multithreaded Games
Developer
So this is like Divinity:Original Sin but better?

Btw I'm a backer

This is the game that inspired D:OS!

I actually had a chance to play that for the first time a few months ago (I know, git gud, scrub) and wow... what an experience. Didn't really make it too far outside of the starting town, but I can't wait to jump back into it once things become a little less hectic!

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Update #1

Feb 1 2018

Bevontule Miniboss Challenge!

Greetings, everyone! We've surged past the 20% funded mark after just a few days, which should give us some amazing momentum heading into the weekend and beyond! A huge thanks to all of our backers for your support--we've been incredibly humbled by the response so far! We've also burned through a large portion of our Early Bird tiers--if you'd like to scoop up Bevontule at a discounted price, we still have around 50 or so left!

If you've tried our pre-alpha demo (available from GameJolt or itch.io), you may have noticed this cuddly guy flying around the beach area:

cfacf389c4e3003c8516b894c606082b_original.jpg

The Voltaic Whelp
Naturally, there's a decent bounty for killing this fella--not just an in-game bounty, however, but a real, physical bounty! Give us proof of yourself slaying this indomitable foe and we'll give you 5 entries into a drawing to win one of our cloth maps of Onich, signed by both Andy and myself!

To sweeten the deal, we'll also hand out 2 entries for anyone that slays the 'bosses' of our Kickstarter Demo, the fearsome Kundalinis:

cb469d3d697686ea640eebf0c298408f_original.jpg

A Song of Ice and Fire... Kundalinis
How does it work?
After defeating either the Kundalinis or the Voltaic Whelp (or both!), simply press Print Screen on your keyboard to save the rewards screen that displays after combat! You can then paste the image into Paint or something similar and save it. Once you've done that, either tweet at us on Twitter (@Bevontule) or mention us on Facebook (Bevontule) and attach one or both pictures to your post, while using the hashtag #bevontulechallenge! After we see your post, we'll confirm your entry--that's all there is to it!

If you post on both social media platforms and defeat both bosses, that'll give you 14 entries into our contest! We'll be giving away 3 separate signed cloth maps, displaying the continent of Onich on which Bevontule takes place! The drawing will take place next Friday, on February 9th and in the interest of fairness, we'll record a video showing the process and post it!

1c83ae763fe5fc63351bda8c924b325d_original.jpg

Onich, in all its glory!
A few pieces of advice...
  • While the Flame Kundalini is immune to Firebomb's burning effect, the Frost Kundalini is not.
  • Either focus all characters on one Kundalini, or have Apolith tank one while Moroch and Bodom attack the other.
  • Apolith can withstand the Frost Kundalini's Coiled Strike knockback by equipping the passive skill Steadfast.
  • The Molten Pendant, found in Atonia, will provide immunity to the Flame Kundalini's Burning Path burning effect.
  • For an easier time, it's advised to be at least Level 3 before engaging the Kundalinis.
  • Without one or more Archon's Pendulums, the party has no chance of defeating the Voltaic Whelp. At least one can be found on the steppe--as a reward for defeating the Kundalinis.
  • The Voltaic Whelp will always open with Paralyzing Discharge, effectively 'stopping' the entire party. He'll repeat this skill every so often during the course of combat.
  • The Voltaic Whelp's Storm Surge skill strikes random targets within the effect radius, but will distribute the damage when more targets are affected.
  • Degauss will remove all buffs from affected characters, including Stealth.
  • Tail Strike will one-hit KO almost any character, save from Apolith. As it has a longer charge time, try to get out of the way if possible!
  • For the highest chance of success, your party should be at max level (5) before attempting this fight and should have most active and passive skills learned and equipped!
Feel free to post your strategies and feedback in the comments below! Happy hunting!

MTG_Derek

Multithreaded Games
Developer
Codexians show some love for this game. It's party based turn based RPG with Mordheim-y combat!
Infinitron can't we promote their KS a bit?

It's on the front page and our Twitter, not sure what else we can do...

Who's ready to start selling their bodies??! Nah, really though, we really appreciate the promotion and support that you guys have offered! But, seriously, who has the best body here?

Fuck this looks gud. Might back i will see in the end of the month if i can spare some money

Appreciate it! :)

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Ok so more people need to back this like now. It's slowly getting there but could need a serious injection. If you pledge and it doesn't succeed you haven't lost anything. And if you pledge and it goes beyond the target you can always withdraw your individual pledge before the campaign ends, that way you don't have to pay either and the game gets made.

But as we know, to be successful the campaign needs a lot of pledges and it needs them in the early stages. And if it gets them it will attract more in a lovely synergy. So if you pledge now it will surely attract more backers and that's the goal! Also, I've never understood why people wait till the end of the campaign, your contribution will be much more worth in the beginning since it helps to attract additional backers.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Update #2

Feb 5 2018

Bevontule Skill System

Greetings, all! We've managed to race through all of our Early Bird pledges and we're well over 300 backers at this point! A big thanks to everyone who's supported us so far--let's keep climbing even further!

For this update, we wanted to take a closer look at Bevontule's skill system, focusing on a few skills that have already been implemented in our Kickstarter demo as well as skill upgrades and field skills, both of which are planned and in active development!

Skill Tree
Skills in Bevontule are arranged in a tree-like structure, where each character has access to a unique set of abilities. While the available skills in our current demo are by no means representative of the final number offered by the full game, this does provide a glimpse into how skill learning and equipping currently work. Note that the demo only provides some active and passive skills and neither upgrades or field skills are present.
ae6c816dc6ac4b957857988f1fe25b2a_original.jpg

A portion of Moroch's skill tree
In order to unlock a skill, it must be adjacent to another unlocked skill and the character must have the required amount of AP (Ability Points), which is obtained through defeating foes, via special items and sometimes as quest rewards. Once unlocked, each skill additionally requires a certain number of EP (Equip Points) before it can be equipped. EP is granted upon level up, and via incredibly rare items that can provide permanent boosts. Unlike AP, EP is not expended when used and skills can be equipped and unequipped as often as preferred, although a player will not be able to equip every skill in the game.

Active Skills
These are skills that can be used only in combat and often possess a wide variety of effects, damage ratios, charge times, SP costs and targeting zones. Each character in Bevontule can be built in a variety of ways--Moroch, for instance, excels at healing and disruption skills, and can specialize fully in either, or mix the two.
8bd3db2c97acc85f018e3682db4730de_original.gif

Moroch, ever the altruist
Passive Skills
These are skills that are present during combat, but cannot be executed in the same manner as active skills. These can consist of simple attribute boosts or more nuanced skills, such as the ability to recover SP when using basic attacks against foes. In this example, with the "Counterattack" passive skill equipped, Apolith exacts revenge on an enemy when certain conditions are met.
1fbbb46b88bfdc311e1bf737e07ef427_original.gif

"Smack me, will ya?"
Skill Upgrades
Not only will characters possess a large number of active and passive skills, but each active skill will also contain 3 - 12 unique upgrades. These are treated just like other skills, in that they must be unlocked and equipped before they take effect. They are unique, however, in that they are tiered, and each skill may have 1 - 4 tiers of upgrades. Only one upgrade from each tier may be equipped at once--in this manner, characters can further customize their combat effectiveness.

For instance, Bodom may choose to spend all of his EP on his Fade skill, which will make him a force to be reckoned with while stealthed, capable of one-shotting many enemies and slipping in and out of combat mostly unharmed. He'll be at a severe disadvantage when not stealthed, however. In the example below, his skill Blade Toss has been outfitted with the Overpenetrate upgrade, which allows it to pass through multiple targets in a line.
9f01d3b53d7c244a0153f7159333dff8_original.gif

"I can also throw a 95 MPH fastball"
Field Skills
These are skills that can be used outside of combat on the field and may take many different forms. These skills are unlocked similarly to other skills, with the caveat that only one may be equipped per character at once. Unlike combat skills, field skills have time-based cooldowns that prevent the user from constantly spamming them and may be subject to other conditions as well.

For instance, Moroch can equip a skill that reveals all collectible materials within a certain radius, while Apolith can equip another that allows him to charge forward, granting a combat bonus aginst any enemy he comes into contact with. In the following GIF, Bodom utilizes the Sneak skill, which allows him to avoid enemies on the field for a brief amount of time.
ba0085d7d8e783947329d00137177477_original.gif

"Now you see me..."
Overall, this is just a small glimpse of what we have planned for the final version of Bevontule, and hope you'll try our demo to find out what skill combinations you prefer! Also, don't forget about our Bevontule Miniboss Challenge--we look forward to seeing how you, the player, decides to best Onich's many foes!

Another exciting Kickstarter project!
We also wanted to mention another turn-based RPG project on Kickstarter we thought you might like: “AVARIAvs.” It’s like Final Fantasy but PvP! It’s a 1v1 competitive game where players create their own party of 3 heroes to battle against another player’s party. The game is currently 65% funded with 10 days to go, and has loads of potential! Check it out!

MTG_Derek

Multithreaded Games
Developer
Ok so more people need to back this like now. It's slowly getting there but could need a serious injection. If you pledge and it doesn't succeed you haven't lost anything. And if you pledge and it goes beyond the target you can always withdraw your individual pledge before the campaign ends, that way you don't have to pay either and the game gets made.

But as we know, to be successful the campaign needs a lot of pledges and it needs them in the early stages. And if it gets them it will attract more in a lovely synergy. So if you pledge now it will surely attract more backers and that's the goal! Also, I've never understood why people wait till the end of the campaign, your contribution will be much more worth in the beginning since it helps to attract additional backers.

Really appreciate that. And you're totally right--we definitely fell off a little harder than anticipated. Even with the clout of a PR company, we're having a considerable amount of trouble making inroads with press and streamers/youtubers, even ones that had covered us and/or played our previous demos. Not entirely sure what's going on, but we certainly aren't anywhere close to giving up! I've seen many a campaign hit incredible surges towards the later parts of their crowdfunding periods, and I have no doubt that we'll pull through in the end!

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
This is feedback from the combat demo.

1. Movement both in battle and overland map seems slow and sluggish. Not sure if this is just an animation issue - maybe they could be sped up. Party turns very slowly on overland map especially and it is little weird that camera does not turn with the party figure. Instead I have to use RMB to rotate camera. I would recommend having camera pan/pivot with keyboard movement commands.

2. Save menu. There are too many clicks required to save. Currently I need to run to the save crystal (they really need a texture to better fit in), then click the crystal, then click Save button, then click save slot, then click Yes to pop-up window and final click to dismiss Game Saved pop-up. After I need to press Esc or Tab once to go back to Save/Delete selection, second time to go back to Main Menu/Inventory screen and a third time to get back to game. While this isn't a hassle once, it will become annoying in the full game. Instead, running into Save Crystal should automatically take player to Save Slot selection and after selecting the slot, just one click to Confirm overwriting an existing save (no need to confirm saving into an empty slot). The Game Saved message should flash for 1 second and then disappear, and game should return to overland map view immediately on its own.

3. Camera sensitivity. This is too far too low. The default setting of 5 is like the camera is sunk into quicksand. Turning it up to 10 makes it bearable but nowhere near fast enough.

4. Game menu. The game menu slides into view from left to right and bottom to top. It's a useless effect. Better to just have it snap into place instantly when pressing Tab. Granted, it's nowhere near as bad as the Pipboy in Fallout4, which is probably the worst GUI decision ever made, but again, as player racks the hours in the game, they will appreciate the menu being quick and responsive.

5. Enemies in world map. I like that some are following the party while others are just patrolling. Hopefully some enemies will also run away from the player.

6. Combat. Animations are frustratingly slow. It's the same problem as in the new XCOM games. It's fine to have slow cool animations if the player is only seeing them once or twice. But in a combat heavy games, player will have to see them hundreds if not thousands of times. It's better to have them fast, or at least do like original Fallout and give player the config option to speed animations up to instantaneous level. The movement sphere and ranges are a cool idea, and I like that if my character hasn't moved in combat, attacking doesn't automatically end their turn and they can still move. Being able to move while having attack or skill selected is also really nice. I like that enemies seem to target wounded/weaker party members. Hitboxes/physical boxes of characters are too small. There is little point in positioning because characters getting in the way of each other is impossible and you can move endlessly inside your movement range. Downside of this enemy smartness though is that Bodom's backstab is useless - enemies almost always target him over Moroch and Apolith, meaning that since there is a delay between deciding to use a skill and the actual attack, the enemy most likely has turned towards Bodom. Using Apolith to taunt the enemies first can work but takes far too long. At least in the demo battles it seem to be always be better to just slaughter one enemy as quickly as possible without any finesse.

7. Keyboard shortcuts. You need them for combat menu at least. Have numbers 1-9 to select menu items so that I don't have to click them all the time. Similarly, make Tab or Esc go back from Skill / Item / Attack menu to the main combat menu. Having enter confirm a combat option is useless - it's too far away from WASD to be used with left hand, so you might as well use right hand and mouse click the button.

8. Graphics, sounds and music are all serviceable. Nothing amazing, they do their job.

9. Autorun button. Very important to add.

All in all, it's not a bad game, just needs polishing. You guys would probably have been better served to release a combat demo from later in the game, with more skills and more varied enemies available, to really showcase the system. The first area(s) / hour(s) of pretty much every RPG usually sucks.

MTG_Derek

Multithreaded Games
Developer
Thanks for the incredibly detailed and well-reasoned feedback--rare to get that, and I very much appreciate it. Going through your points:

1. Movement both in battle and overland map seems slow and sluggish. Not sure if this is just an animation issue - maybe they could be sped up. Party turns very slowly on overland map especially and it is little weird that camera does not turn with the party figure. Instead I have to use RMB to rotate camera. I would recommend having camera pan/pivot with keyboard movement commands.

This is defintiely doable. Movement speed is currently tied to animation speed, so it's trivial to increase that. Out of curiosity, would you prefer the control scheme in combat to remain the same, IE, the player has control over the rotation of the camera and it doesn't automatically follow the character?

2. Save menu. There are too many clicks required to save. Currently I need to run to the save crystal (they really need a texture to better fit in), then click the crystal, then click Save button, then click save slot, then click Yes to pop-up window and final click to dismiss Game Saved pop-up. After I need to press Esc or Tab once to go back to Save/Delete selection, second time to go back to Main Menu/Inventory screen and a third time to get back to game. While this isn't a hassle once, it will become annoying in the full game. Instead, running into Save Crystal should automatically take player to Save Slot selection and after selecting the slot, just one click to Confirm overwriting an existing save (no need to confirm saving into an empty slot). The Game Saved message should flash for 1 second and then disappear, and game should return to overland map view immediately on its own.

This is something we've discussed internally and I can certainly see the benefit to speeding this entire process up.

3. Camera sensitivity. This is too far too low. The default setting of 5 is like the camera is sunk into quicksand. Turning it up to 10 makes it bearable but nowhere near fast enough.

This is also addressed in a patch that just came out--depending on when you downloaded it, it should be much quicker in the current version.

4. Game menu. The game menu slides into view from left to right and bottom to top. It's a useless effect. Better to just have it snap into place instantly when pressing Tab. Granted, it's nowhere near as bad as the Pipboy in Fallout4, which is probably the worst GUI decision ever made, but again, as player racks the hours in the game, they will appreciate the menu being quick and responsive.

I wouldn't entirely disagree with you here, but we can definitely speed it up. Are you opposed to all menu transitions or just the one that brings the menu into focus?

5. Enemies in world map. I like that some are following the party while others are just patrolling. Hopefully some enemies will also run away from the player.

We have a variety of additional enemy actions planned, including ones that will flee and others that will charge the player (instead of just following.)

6. Combat. Animations are frustratingly slow. It's the same problem as in the new XCOM games. It's fine to have slow cool animations if the player is only seeing them once or twice. But in a combat heavy games, player will have to see them hundreds if not thousands of times. It's better to have them fast, or at least do like original Fallout and give player the config option to speed animations up to instantaneous level. The movement sphere and ranges are a cool idea, and I like that if my character hasn't moved in combat, attacking doesn't automatically end their turn and they can still move. Being able to move while having attack or skill selected is also really nice. I like that enemies seem to target wounded/weaker party members. Hitboxes/physical boxes of characters are too small. There is little point in positioning because characters getting in the way of each other is impossible and you can move endlessly inside your movement range. Downside of this enemy smartness though is that Bodom's backstab is useless - enemies almost always target him over Moroch and Apolith, meaning that since there is a delay between deciding to use a skill and the actual attack, the enemy most likely has turned towards Bodom. Using Apolith to taunt the enemies first can work but takes far too long. At least in the demo battles it seem to be always be better to just slaughter one enemy as quickly as possible without any finesse.

This is also something that we've received a lot of feedback about. Having a slider that increases the overall game speed as well as the battle speed (as well as an option that could ignore animations altogether in combat) is on our to-do list. I'm not sure that I would agree that there is little point in positioning, since dodging and avoiding enemy attacks is a large part of later combat scenarios. Additionally, using the chain system is an integral part as well, which can keep enemies 'locked' in place, while your characters execute their queued up skills. That being said, we have contemplated the idea of having 'selectable charge times.' So instead of Backstab always taking 2 turns (just as an example) it could be configured to take 1 - 3 turns with 1 turn doing the least damage and 3 turns doing the most. This would also allow far more 'chaining' opportunities. Enemies would most likely not have this capability because it would add a level of randomness--and quite frankly, would be a bitch to program. I will also add that once you've unlocked all the skills for all characters, more tactical scenarios emerge--for instance, Bodom can 'stealth', which prevents him from being attacked altogether. Moroch can 'kick' enemies into position. There are many more status effects and synergies planned as well.

7. Keyboard shortcuts. You need them for combat menu at least. Have numbers 1-9 to select menu items so that I don't have to click them all the time. Similarly, make Tab or Esc go back from Skill / Item / Attack menu to the main combat menu. Having enter confirm a combat option is useless - it's too far away from WASD to be used with left hand, so you might as well use right hand and mouse click the button.

I agree wholeheartedly, and we'll get keyboard shortcuts into a future update. Escape should already cancel from the current menu, unless I'm misunderstanding your feedback? We tried to design the game so that it can be played with only the KB if desired--so in theory, you could have a left hand on WASD and the right hand on arrow keys/enter. If you're talking about just using one hand, however, I'm not sure how that could work. It seems like you either need one hand on the mouse and one on the keyboard or both on the keyboard? We also have XBOX360 controller support, but I've been yelled at occasionally for even suggesting that (please be gentle, kind sir.)

9. Autorun button. Very important to add.

Noted! You can, currently, hold both the left/right mouse button to force your character to run. Now that I think about it, this will keep the camera locked behind the character as well (since you're also rotating the camera), so maybe this is the direction we should head in (no pun intended.)

All in all, it's not a bad game, just needs polishing. You guys would probably have been better served to release a combat demo from later in the game, with more skills and more varied enemies available, to really showcase the system. The first area(s) / hour(s) of pretty much every RPG usually sucks.

I appreciate it! That being said, we're running a crowdfunding campaign precisely because we want to continue funding development, and the new areas/enemies that come with that. We're a two man team, after all, and have largely bankrolled the development ourselves. Anyhow, I do very much appreciate the feedback, and I look forward to any other constructive criticism you might have!

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
The combat camera works well as it is. Turning the overland camera to always work the way it does with both mouse buttons pressed would probably be the best. I see what you mean about skills and positioning in combat - I'm sure that later in the game that's true. Unfortunately in the combat demo part it isn't and that's the bit that people will see!

Thanks for reading my feedback!

MTG_Derek

Multithreaded Games
Developer
The combat camera works well as it is. Turning the overland camera to always work the way it does with both mouse buttons pressed would probably be the best. I see what you mean about skills and positioning in combat - I'm sure that later in the game that's true. Unfortunately in the combat demo part it isn't and that's the bit that people will see!

Thanks for reading my feedback!

No problem! Honestly, as a game dev, it's really rare to get so much concentrated feedback, so kudos for that. If you happen to give it another spin, I'd be more than happy to look over any other feedback you had!

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
I'm going to ask you a question that I hoped that I wouldn't have to ask: What happens if you don't get funded?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom