Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Streeto Fighta V: Vicious Vengeance Vodeville

Jason Liang

Arcane
I saw some Evo Japan SFV coverage and I was wondering:

Why is Bison now called Vega. What happened to Vega Vega?

Who is Urine and why is he naked/ wearing a diaper.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron

Boxer is called M.Bison in Japan. Clear reference to Mike Tyson. Claw is Balrog, and Dictator is Vega. To avoid being sued when moving the franchise to the west they decided to do a switcheroo between the three of them. Thus, in the west Boxer is Balrog, Claw is Vega, and Dictator is M.Bison. If you like to avoid confusion in international events you call them Boxer, Claw, and Dictator.

In the Street Fighter lore there's like one guy who has many clones or something like that and all of one of them but one wears a diaper.

latest

urien-3so.jpg

sf4x-abel.jpg
latest

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
You can throw Abigail out of his VT2 during almost any point of its animation. You can even time it well enough to throw Abigail out of a moving VT2 dash.

Besides throwing:

- Ryu/Akuma/Sakura/Ken/Ed/etc's vertically-moving EX-Reversals, such as an EX-Shoryuken or the like, will clear Abigail's VT2 dash.

- Cammy can simply horizontally "drill" right through Abigail's VT2 dash, no EX-bar expenditure required.

- Chun-li can amusingly enough "heel-stomp" her way up and over Abigail if done fast enough.

Either way, regardless of the fact that it is possible to avoid Abigail's VT2 dash, Abigail is currently indisputably "OP". Word on the grape-vine is he's getting hit soon with nerfs in an Abigail-specific update.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Personally speaking, though, I think MENAT is a much more dangerous online opponent than Abigail. Just go watch Infiltration's MENAT vs Daigo's GUILE in the recent EVO Japan 2018...

Absolutely disgusting.

Colour Spray

Educated
I think Menat will be strong because her v-trigger 2 seems to be like Rose's Ultra-2 in that it shuts down so many of your opponent's options, gives her more front and back mix-ups and threatens free damage. Her zoning seems stronger than Rose, too, who was already pretty beastly in that regard; although I'm less certain that's unwarranted, because there are far fewer characters in 4 who just get in for free. I was watching Storm_Kubo play against Angrybird yesterday and he was getting blown up by Akuma, so while I agree that the character is really swingy, overreacting with nerfs too early could end up just making the character completely irrelevant. Especially when characters winning or losing can be nothing more than a mix-up into stun in this game, regardless of who they are.

I'm biased though, my character usually has pretty favourable match-ups against grapplers.

Colour Spray

Educated
Justfog is completely unflappable; really solid defence. Ryu kinda reminds me of Chun-Li from 4 in this. Your blocks have to be perfect because having to use an EX to get the other guy off you cuts you off from super, which is the one of the only ways both of those characters get big damage in. I'd be really surprised if M.Bison wasn't a dark horse this season, also; that walk speed buff is huge and he gets so much frame advantage from his normals. He's kinda like Akuma, in that he can just keep pressing buttons in your face and force you to deal with it or get trapped in a pressure loop.

vota DC

Augur

Boxer is called M.Bison in Japan. Clear reference to Mike Tyson. Claw is Balrog, and Dictator is Vega. To avoid being sued when moving the franchise to the west they decided to do a switcheroo between the three of them. Thus, in the west Boxer is Balrog, Claw is Vega, and Dictator is M.Bison. If you like to avoid confusion in international events you call them Boxer, Claw, and Dictator.

Bison for the boxer make sense, but why they used the Tolkien fire demon name for a spanish clawman and a spanish name for a dictator with a spinning fire attack?
Even the boxer deserves the name Vega more than the dictator, at least he lives in Las Vegas.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Watched most of the EVO Top 8. Infiltration won quite convincingly with Juri, no? Abigail seems a lot more dangerous than Zangief (why the fuck does a spinning piledriver do like... 20% damage only?), but SF's gameplay has always been biased towards shotos and zoners. (Unlike KoF, where a grappler anchor won the EVO Championships last year) Why nerf a fairly viable grappler?

Menat seems like a cheesey character that will beat you unless you're accustomed to playing her, same with Rashid. Like when Infiltration played Juri, I could tell that was skill. But when he's playing Menat, it doesn't seem like he needed to use much skill.

Colour Spray

Educated
There was at least two other really good players using Menat in this tournament, Go1 and Sako, and they both went out far earlier. Infiltration has been putting in a lot of time to make Menat as difficult to deal with as possible, and it shows. Although, sfv in general makes heavy pokes represent so much potential damage, so maybe the character has her share of cheese. She's certainly not as bad as Sagat was in the release version of sfiv; just because the dearth of invincible reversals makes it much harder to get back to neutral, and which is why Rashid gives this type of character fits, even if it's unusual to be able to convert to so much damage on a counter-hit, and you would assume this would favour a character with such a strong neutral game.

Funnily enough, everybody was expecting that Kolin would be the break-out character.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Colour Spray
pakoito
Jason Liang

i definitely disagree with menat being less broken than vanilla sf4 sagat, but otherwise the rest of your post is accurate.

crush-counters, (what you refer to with 'heavy pokes' comment), is the #1 cancerous thing about sfV and it is why its footsies and neutral game is so hobbled and lopsided, especially when compared to the elegant footsie battles one could witness in usf4.

edit: more specifically crush-counter and the unique PRIORITY SYSTEM they are a part of in sf V.

the sf V 'priority system' is completely new is why, for example, a standing heavy normal will "crush counter" a sweeping medium or light low-poke whereas traditionally it has always been the other way around in any other SF or any other fighting game.

this is why you see, for example, a Urien player mashing standing HP fishing for a crush-counter... because the Urien player knows that thanks to SF V's PRIORITY SYSTEM, that Urien mashing a standing HP will out-footsie 90% of his opponents buttons.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I barely watch SFV, I cannot have a good opinion here. I didn't even watch the GF, just Diego v Infiltration.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
The normal priority system that the game currently has is the same that was present in Street fighter 3: Third strike. Is a system created to avoid lp/lk mashing to get out from pressure situations, and encourages the study and use of frame traps and stuff like that.

There's more controversial things in SFV than this. Like how free jumping attacks are, the nerf of dragonpunches in season 2 (Losing their I-frames in startup in their normal versions) and the anti air jabs.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I'm not an expert on SF either, but I do have a question, why does it seem so difficult to play defensively in SFV? During Daigo vs Zangief, Daigo's Guile would punch Zangief's Zangief in the face with a straight jab and the commentary called it a "guard breaker" or something? So characters have non-throw moves that can't be blocked at all? How is Zangief supposed to win that match up then? Zangief must get close and as soon as he gets close Guile can smack him with the "guard breaker."

I get that SFV isn't combo-based fighting, but it seems the general problem is that there's too much emphasis on un-defendable/ difficult to defend moves, especially moves that some characters can't defend at all.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Jason Liang
why is it so hard to play defensively in sf5?

honest answer is: capcom wanted to make the game faster, flashier and 'punchier' than sf4 so that it would look more appealing when viewed by non-fighting game aficionados during eSport events.

there are a ton of technical reasons why, and i outlined a few in previous posts breaking down sf5's style of play, and the video of the priority system posted above further showcases the design philsophy by the design team to have (in theory) matches become much less about 'set play' and 'knockdown vortex' (i.e. SF4 meta-game) and more about what is simplified as "rushdown" play.

the fact that it has a huge buffered input delay, as i mentined in a previous post when we were talking about how sf5 is so 'slow', also makes it much, much harder to play Defensively specifically because it is much harder to play in a "Reactionary Style", i.e. literally harder to react in time to your opponent's bullshit be it a jump-in from them or be it them spamming one f their heavy pokes.

I assume you've also noticed SF5, in general, everything does a lot more damage-per-hit, right? that also has to do with it.

it is simply a better risk/reward ratio to attempt to jump at you 5 times in a row, because if even if you anti-air me 4 of thse 5 times then the 1 time i manage to land a jump-in combo on you will allow me to inflict 45-55% damage, sometimes more.

simply put: thoughtless offense nets a bigger reward than inscrutable defense in sf5.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
ugh.....

last thing sf5 needed was blanka, but whatever. I imagine online ranked is gonna be chock full of blankas for at least 1 or 2 months after his release.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
pakoito Great Deceiver Jason Liang TheHeroOfTime Colour Spray sspray vota DC

Seboist

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Video no.1 showcases the absolute all-around best RYU PLAYER I have personally had the pleasure of makig friends with via SF5 / Steam Friends; yes he absolutely destroys and obliterates me every Battle Lounge session but I come out of those sessions much wiser, plus he is giving great advice:

Video no.2 is a clip from another of our matches this time the entire match. Pay close attention to the 2nd round where Ponchuffy demonstrates that while it is very much so a skewed risk and reward ratio governing Projectile Zoning in SF5; here (and in many other of his replays online) he demonstrates simply: shut the fuck up cos Ryus chuckig plasma. Beech.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following two videos are simply short footage clips I captured showing me:

a) Practising a corner combo utilizing the new Donkey Kick given to Ryu; if you knock someone into a corner with a STANDARD Donkey Kick, no EX then you immediately do an OVERHEAD with Ryu and it will hit the opponent so meaty itll be juicy

b) Practising or rather more specifically coming up with new frame-traps and meaty strigs for both of the new RESETS given to Ryu in season 3 of SF 5: the reset given with the WALL BOUNCE from his ne DONKEY KICK in EX and also another smaller reset that is new with Ryu V-TRIGGER 2 (two) after you PARRY an enemy

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Is it me or are SFV animators getting lazier and lazier ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom