Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

But really, the biggest thing I would want from CKIII is making multiple government systems work from the beginning.
As it is, the game began as pure European High Middle Ages. Later on we got Iqta, Republics, Tribals, Hordes, etc. That's good, but the fundamental problem is that its all built on top of the original system.

For example, the Charlemagne scenario is anachronistic as hell, Feudalism didn't even exist in the Charlemagne era, Feudalism came to exist with the disintegration of the Carolinglian Empire. Castles came to exist in the 9th century, etc.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
That's why any earlier startdate doesn't really work, unless you want to play as raiding pagans during the viking era. I wonder how the mods set during the fall of rome works out, like When world stopped making sense works. Playing as falling rome could be interesting.

oscar

Arcane
Been playing WTWSMS (as Soissons, a Gallo-Roman holdout state in Northern France) it's very cool actually (had to fiddle with the portraits myself though as I couldn't get the BLG sub-mod to work with it). Quite a lot of work has gone into it and lots of interesting starts.

Been playing WTWSMS (as Soissons, a Gallo-Roman holdout state in Northern France) it's very cool actually (had to fiddle with the portraits myself though as I couldn't get the BLG sub-mod to work with it). Quite a lot of work has gone into it and lots of interesting starts.

Do they have a version that works with Jade Dragon already?

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
What is it with Paradox modders and overly long names? "WTWSMS"? "MEIOU and Taxes"? Dass stoopid.

Beastro

Arcane
What is it with Paradox modders and overly long names? "WTWSMS"? "MEIOU and Taxes"? Dass stoopid.

Most like to use historical sounding names for their mods, then new successor mods get built on top of them.

In the latter case they originally chose to spin an old Hapsburg motto for the original mod, then the successor got it's own added on to distinguish it from the old EU3 mod. In MEIOU's case it worked originally because the motto was an acronym and often said on it's own without breaking it down into each of it's individual words.

Concert of Europe for Vic2 suffered from the same problem by dying with the revival now having it's own subtitle added to it, so it's now officially Concert of Europe: Il Gloria even if it's just called CoE still, even by the modders.

When the World Stopped Making sense though is a terrible one and I've never liked it. When it first came out it reminded me of old low budget movies or crappy novels desperate to ape better ones that thought a name like that would improve it's quality.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
I want to like When the World Stopped Making Sense so much, but so much of it is a what-if scenario of made up history. I want to play the actual history, not what some amateur who read a Wikipedia article wishes happened.

Beastro

Arcane
I want to like When the World Stopped Making Sense so much, but so much of it is a what-if scenario of made up history. I want to play the actual history, not what some amateur who read a Wikipedia article wishes happened.

How does it play out? I gave up on CK2 around when it first came out.

Name always felt like the title someone who hated the Middle Ages would pick to me.

oscar

Arcane

Do they have a version that works with Jade Dragon already?

Works just fine on even my removed-from-inventory one-patch behind version of Jade Dragon.

"I want to like When the World Stopped Making Sense so much, but so much of it is a what-if scenario of made up history. I want to play the actual history, not what some amateur who read a Wikipedia article wishes happened.

'Real' history often goes drastically astray within six months of unpausing within CK2. It also seems no more 'made up' than the 769 or 867 starts (actually perhaps less so). It also seems like the beta (dynamic or historical) Rise of Islam events could be very interesting.

Really scratches the itch for a more Roman/'Classical' world but without Lux Invicta's autism (where no state on the map is larger than about six provinces what inevitably means you can easily become a world superpower within a single ruler's life as you tend to be a more efficient blobber than the AI). This you already start with superpower Sassanids, Eastern Rome, very deadly Ostrogoths etc.

You also have some fun potential conflicts already set up out of the box (Arians vs Nicene Christians, Sassanids and Byzzies once they get past all the buffer states, Vandals a potential powerhouse but usually collapsing due to their religious and cultural differences to their populace).

Lux Invicta also arguably went overboard on the religions with every duchy seeming to have their own religion and sub-sub-sub culture. Here there's a lot more variance than vanilla but still within historical reason.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Sooo, been a while again since I last played; did they confirm Jade Dragon to be the last DLC or what?

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

We don't know a lot outside of Eastern Roman Empire and Sasanid lands cause it was beginning of Dark ages with lot of records which some how survived Germanic and then Arab invasions being burned and looted by Vikings. So for West we know only what last Romans and Monks noted and for Barbaricum its archeology and Scientists guess only. Actual History moreover is always what victors write down and what current generation re intersperse take V century Britania for example: you have some welsh myths, and Gildas and Bede as only chronicles cause even Gaulo-Romans were to busy avoiding Huns, Vandals, Visigoths and Franks to investigate what happened north of channel; hence they write that Britannia was overrun by Saxon. Gildas and Bede being Monks wrote that decadent Britons were punished by God for their sin and that Anglo Saxons are new Israelites who purged Romano British with fire and sword. Now when the paradigm has changed again and you are no longer supposed to be proud of your ancestors manly deeds they have new theories about Britons basically turning Saxon voluntarily despite that it never happened in continent in order to make it all less epic and I guess prevent Welsh for claiming some kind of reparations too.

Good that the mod is done by amateurs btw those are much more honest and less ideologically biased than academia nowadays.

A new little dev diary:
Greetings!

We’re working away, and we’ve been working away for quite some time now - it’s just much too early to go into detail on what we’re doing yet, but rest assured that we have a lot of interesting stuff going on!

Without spoiling the theme of the upcoming expansion, we want to give you something to look at and discuss. In addition to all the theme-specific features we’re making, we’re also slowly working our way through some of the more neglected areas of the map, correcting mistakes and increasing the granularity of the playing field. Here’s one such area, Poland:
index.php

Code:
- Map Update to Poland
   - General overhaul to the De Jure territory of the Kingdom of Poland
   - Vistula (major) river tweaked to be more geographically accurate
   - (Minor) river Oder tweaked for more geographical accuracy
   - (Minor) rivers Warta and Bug added
   - 6 new provinces, mostly improving granularity in Mazovia and Lesser Poland
   - All old provinces moved and reshaped for more consistency
   - Some updated provincial Coats of Arms

Later this spring (date yet TBD) we’ll release a bug-fixing patch, so remember to head over to the bug forums and report any issues you find.

Please note that the time between Dev Diaries will be irregular, as we’re very early in the development cycle.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...k2-dev-diary-78-polishing-up-the-map.1067226/

Polishing up indeed

Sranchammer

Arcane
Vatnik

We don't know a lot outside of Eastern Roman Empire and Sasanid lands cause it was beginning of Dark ages with lot of records which some how survived Germanic and then Arab invasions being burned and looted by Vikings. So for West we know only what last Romans and Monks noted and for Barbaricum its archeology and Scientists guess only. Actual History moreover is always what victors write down and what current generation re intersperse take V century Britania for example: you have some welsh myths, and Gildas and Bede as only chronicles cause even Gaulo-Romans were to busy avoiding Huns, Vandals, Visigoths and Franks to investigate what happened north of channel; hence they write that Britannia was overrun by Saxon. Gildas and Bede being Monks wrote that decadent Britons were punished by God for their sin and that Anglo Saxons are new Israelites who purged Romano British with fire and sword. Now when the paradigm has changed again and you are no longer supposed to be proud of your ancestors manly deeds they have new theories about Britons basically turning Saxon voluntarily despite that it never happened in continent in order to make it all less epic and I guess prevent Welsh for claiming some kind of reparations too.

Good that the mod is done by amateurs btw those are much more honest and less ideologically biased than academia nowadays.

People don't realize how chaotic those times were - lots of things could have happened to make our timeline unrecognizable.

mbv123

Arbiter
Who gives a fuck? Vanilla is completely outdated and you still need like $300 $140 (50% sale) worth of dlc for the game to be completely patched and playable with latest mods.

But now that I think of it, will getting it give me access to paracocks mod forums? Might be worth bothering with it in that case.

Okagron

Prophet
You only have to pay $200 worth of DLC to have the complete Edition plus years of new DLC updates.
I just had to check if that was true. I saw only 3 dlc packs at first glance, but then i saw 1-3 out of 28 and clicked to show the rest.

Oh.

Okagron

Prophet
You only have to pay $200 worth of DLC to have the complete Edition plus years of new DLC updates.
I just had to check if that was true. I saw only 3 dlc packs at first glance, but then i saw 1-3 out of 28 and clicked to show the rest.

Oh.
WTqZ3hC.jpg
Wait, that's not the same game. DLC for Crusader Kings 2 is currently on sale but it's still 141 bucks. Meaning without being on sale it's about the same cost as that game's DLC.

LizardWizard

Cipher
A good chunk of CK2's DLC can be skipped and in fact makes the game better by not using it. Eu4's is practically pay to win at this point

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom