Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2017: Results & Cool Graphs

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Agree, I don't want to know what some people outside of Codex think about this or that, that's just irritating.
I think, if you create annual poll for everyone, you need to pair it with poll for Codexer only.
And then compare.
We had that already, D:OS 2 won with ELEX and Grimoire sharing the #2 spot.

Point me at this prestigious poll.

Also, this isn't what I suggested.
I suggest - next time create POLL in two parts.
First part - close-up, wide format, big letters - poll for everyone like this.
Below that - with more humble font, letters are smaller - poll ONLY for codexers.
And all this - in ONE post, not "this is poll for all and you motherfucker search for yourself poll fro codexers only" because I obviously won't search it, forum is huge and I have no time nor desire to dig it up if I can find something meaningful while i'm not native English speaker.

And if next poll will be like that, maybe for next poll after it we could deal with problem should we or shouldn't include RPG or not only RPG games in it, all problems step by step as they say.

Last edited:

Gecos

Learned
I'd like to thank the dear prestigious voters for getting me close to religion. I don't recall invoking Jesus so much at any time before than in the moment when I saw DOS2 topping the list...

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Probably it's wrong thread and I will be hated by everyone, but I still not understand why the fuck Witcher 3 considered by many people as RPG. Don't get me wrong I understand that all people have different tastes in games and Witcher 3 was definitely not bad game, but... I mean, common, there are no RP. In Witcher 3 there are only one role- Geralt, predefined character with name and class. It's similar to The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard, except Witcher games have open world and Redguard considered as action-adventure. Same question I have to Dark Souls series, which have even less RPG elements.
Yeah, and Ultima VII is also not an RPG because you just play as the Avatar. :roll:
Did you just compared Ultima to Witcher? I have no words. I don't want a start arguing in your thread, just think one more time about differences between AVATAR (you know, guy who literally YOUR projection in game) and Geralt from Rivia, ( written character from book)

P.S. Some people so sensitive on forum, they spam "retarded" ratings on any post which offend their precious feelings. I bet they don't even know what word "retarded" means, they just use it in silly attempts to "degrade" opinion which they don't like. And I didn't even said something hateful about game.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Probably it's wrong thread and I will be hated by everyone, but I still not understand why the fuck Witcher 3 considered by many people as RPG. Don't get me wrong I understand that all people have different tastes in games and Witcher 3 was definitely not bad game, but... I mean, common, there are no RP. In Witcher 3 there are only one role- Geralt, predefined character with name and class. It's similar to The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard, except Witcher games have open world and Redguard considered as action-adventure. Same question I have to Dark Souls series, which have even less RPG elements.
Yeah, and Ultima VII is also not an RPG because you just play as the Avatar. :roll:
Did you just compared Ultima to Witcher? I have no words. I don't want a start arguing in your thread, just think one more time about differences between AVATAR (you know, guy who literally YOUR projection in game) and Geralt from Rivia, ( written character from book)

P.S. Some people so sensitive on forum, they spam "retarded" ratings on any post which offend their precious feelings. I bet they don't even know what word "retarded" means, they just use it in silly attempts to "degrade" opinion which they don't like. And I didn't even said something hateful about game.
You are getting retard-voted because your points are bullshit, not because you'd insult any game.

In an RPG, among other things that makes something an RPG, you have to play a role.
For that part of the definition to be fulfilled, it is simply not relevant if that role is predefined or not.
If you don't like the role you've been given, well... tough luck. But that doesn't make the game less of an RPG.

What does make the game less of an RPG is the action combat, since player skill plays a vastly more important role than character stats.
But an action-RPG is still some part an RPG, hence it appears on all those lists...

Mortmal

Arcane

People just use the buttons to insult, look i just wrote that grimoire is not a rpg cause its strictly combat, its "subtle" second degree, but far too much for 2018 codex apparently. I even got people coming out of retirement, like sceptic who took time to stop sucking Ubisoft dick to rate my post.

Mortmal

Arcane
look i just wrote something completely retarded and people insulted me

whodathunk
Why so much aggressivity roxor ? Thats it ! i wont brofist your reviews anymore ! Well its not as if you will be allowed to write reviews with the recent change in management...

V_K

Arcane
What does make the game less of an RPG is the action combat, since player skill plays a vastly more important role than character stats.
But an action-RPG is still some part an RPG, hence it appears on all those lists...
While I agree with that in principle, what annoys me are the people who claim Prey or SS2 aren't RPGs but are ok with Twitcher, even though the former two give a lot more opportunities for actual roleplaying.

cruelio

Savant
Can't believe Viking made it into top 5, even in a shitty year for CRPGs. Anyone who voted for it positively is absolutely cucked for voting for a game that was released as a paid alpha with multiple progress stopping and save game corrupting bugs (looking at the recent patch notes one of the corrupting bugs was only fixed almost six months after release). Imagine a forum that complains about the "decline" of an industry and then votes for a game that embodies one of the industry's most abusive practices.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
While I agree with that in principle, what annoys me are the people who claim Prey or SS2 aren't RPGs but are ok with Twitcher, even though the former two give a lot more opportunities for actual roleplaying.
Yeah, that's quite inconsistent.
I would put none of them as pure RPGs.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
You are getting retard-voted because your points are bullshit, not because you'd insult any game.

In an RPG, among other things that makes something an RPG, you have to play a role.
For that part of the definition to be fulfilled, it is simply not relevant if that role is predefined or not.
If you don't like the role you've been given, well... tough luck. But that doesn't make the game less of an RPG.

So you disagree with my opinion, but instead of using "disagree" rating you used "retarded"? It's already shows how you value other opinion, you prefer insult opinion just for existence. Personally I disagree with your opinion (yes it's just opinion, not absolute truth), but I will be never use "retarded" in case discussions about RPG genre since definition of RPG become more vague after so many years from releasing first tabletop game.

look i just wrote something completely retarded and people insulted me

whodathunk
Define "completely retarded".

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
I would put none of them as pure RPGs.
Well this thing on which we can have agreement.

24470.jpg

So you trying imply that person who draw this picture is retarded or that fictional character is retarded? Last time, when I checked they both don't suffer from mental illness(not sure about fictional character tho). Besides I see your nickname is not similar to Darth Roxor, so I don't remember that I asked you to define something. Oh, and quit this shitty behavior being choir boy bodyguard, I am pretty sure Darth Roxor can write his own definition without any help from person with intelligence of duck. He wrote many reviews after all.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron

So you disagree with my opinion, but instead of using "disagree" rating you used "retarded"? It's already shows how you value other opinion, you prefer insult opinion just for existence. Personally I disagree with your opinion (yes it's just opinion, not absolute truth)
You confuse facts with opinions.
What you claim has nothing to do with opinions, it is on the same level as claiming that 2+2=5.

RPG, role playing game. You play a role. Any role. It is not PRPG (predefined) or CYORPG (choose your own).
It is in the fucking words. No assumption is made on the nature of the role. By pure language.
You can not disagree on that, you can only either be right or wrong.

Your "opinion" that RPG needs to have the option to create your own character is on the same retardedness level as that one guy on the Watch who claimed that only fantasy games can be RPGs :lol:

It is amusing, though, so go ahead.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite

your spelling
Spelling does not define person as mental ill - it's a fact in medicine, person with bad spelling more likely had bad education or not native speaker. In my case I represent both cases, since in my country only small amount of people using English on daily basis and especially in my region, not to mention that education system is bad in term of teaching to foreign languages. All things which I learned, I learned in Internet and gaming. As you can say from your comments (where you wrote i instead of I) not all people, who using Internet have proper grammar (you included), so yeah results not best. But I trying to improve it (if only people who rating my post "bad spelling" was able to mark my mistakes, it would be great). However, your silly attempt to insult my grammar clearly show that you had no arguments besides your claims and just an arrogant person, who think that he somehow superior to me only because his date of joining to forum and bodyguards choir boys.

Mortmal

Arcane
Can't believe Viking made it into top 5, even in a shitty year for CRPGs. Anyone who voted for it positively is absolutely cucked for voting for a game that was released as a paid alpha with multiple progress stopping and save game corrupting bugs (looking at the recent patch notes one of the corrupting bugs was only fixed almost six months after release). Imagine a forum that complains about the "decline" of an industry and then votes for a game that embodies one of the industry's most abusive practices.

I also stopped playing it cause of too many bugs, and a save corruption as well, you had to be brave to play this at release. Also fights were either trivial or impossibly hard, i got bored of it fast.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

your spelling
Spelling does not define person as mental ill - it's a fact in medicine, person with bad spelling more likely had bad education or not native speaker. In my case I represent both cases, since in my country only small amount of people using English on daily basis and especially in my region, not to mention that education system is bad in term of teaching to foreign languages. All things which I learned, I learned in Internet and gaming. As you can say from your comments (where you wrote i instead of I) not all people, who using Internet have proper grammar (you included), so yeah results not best. But I trying to improve it (if only people who rating my post "bad spelling" was able to mark my mistakes, it would be great). However, your silly attempt to insult my grammar clearly show that you had no arguments besides your claims and just an arrogant person, who think that he somehow superior to me only because his date of joining to forum and bodyguards choir boys.

yes

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
god damn you are fucking retarded Rinslin Merwind
everything you say borders in between autism and retardation, you write these fucking boring walls of text about shit that no one cares about because people gave you some banter about stupid stuff and everyone is laughing at you and the worst part of all is that you keep replying
just stop posting

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I love these guys who bitch and moan about negative ratings. When they say, "guys, I'm not really retarded?" what do they expect to happen?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom