Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Battlefront 2 and Andromeda failed because of poor marketing, word of mouth, and memes (aka consumer-fueled anti-marketing).

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Battlefront 2 and Andromeda failed because of poor marketing, word of mouth, and memes (aka consumer-fueled anti-marketing).
Both game did have a big marketing push behind them mate. It seems that the consumer is becoming more jaded and have levelled up his internet skillz. Another good example is wolfy and how it flopped even with all those 10/10 shitty reviews. Luck is very important thing....smarts also helps.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Wouldn't expect it to be a big hit if I were you. Medieval settings without fantasy are kind of a hard sell.

In the UK, Assassin's Creed debuted at number one, knocking Infinity Ward's Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare from the top; the majority of the debut sales were on the Xbox 360, which claimed 67% of the game's total sales.[46] The Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 releases of Assassin's Creed each received a "Platinum" sales award from the Entertainment and Leisure Software Publishers Association (ELSPA),[47] indicating sales of at least 300,000 copies per version in the United Kingdom.[48] On April 16, 2009, Ubisoft revealed that the game had sold 8 million copies to date.

Setting doesn't matter.

Sentinel

Arcane
Wouldn't expect it to be a big hit if I were you. Medieval settings without fantasy are kind of a hard sell.

In the UK, Assassin's Creed debuted at number one, knocking Infinity Ward's Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare from the top; the majority of the debut sales were on the Xbox 360, which claimed 67% of the game's total sales.[46] The Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 releases of Assassin's Creed each received a "Platinum" sales award from the Entertainment and Leisure Software Publishers Association (ELSPA),[47] indicating sales of at least 300,000 copies per version in the United Kingdom.[48] On April 16, 2009, Ubisoft revealed that the game had sold 8 million copies to date.

Setting doesn't matter.
You're right bro, a game with a millionaire marketing budget part of a decade-old well established successful franchise with braindead gameplay is totally comparable to a new IP made by literal whos whose marketing tactics are posting screenshots on twitter and gameplay videos where the dialogue animations are being compared to Oblivion's terrible animation work.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Wouldn't expect it to be a big hit if I were you. Medieval settings without fantasy are kind of a hard sell. Mount & Blade only got "huge" because it's sold at 3€ and has an incredible mod community.

I think you give the masses too much credit. Do people really like Skyrim because it has dragons and fireballs? Any time casuals talk about it, they love that it’s an immersive hiking simulator. “Much immersive, so trees!” They may well love Kingdom Come: Deliverance for all the wrong reasons. If this game ends up being a blockbuster it will be because it’s got great foliage.
How much do you like historical novels? Would you prefer them over fantasy novels, or SF novels?

This game would face the same problems. It's easy to play a reprimanded officer commander Sheppard who was elected to honorable position of galaxy council assassins called Specter, because nobody was able to agree on any candidate and he was the least problematic choice, and received honor to get training as first Specter of his species. Council seen his species was without Specter official too long. It's unknown if council thought he'd fuck up and we would weaken position of that species in the council was the real reason for his election.

Then there was a story full of throwing people out of window, doing nasty stuff, and shooting them into their head, and story with actually capable Specter that was brainwashed by enemy and Sheppard was forced to kill. With ending, that somehow reminded of invader Zim when he reported back he arrived to destination and is able to conduct his mission, where he was accepted as full Specter because he actually proven himself to be capable.

Ray Musica knew what character he wanted to play. When he left the company, the story went down.

Now of course, it remains to be seen how a blackmith son story would looks like, and if it would be as enjoyable and funny. I'd prefer an option of enabling certain stuff, similar to Fallout NV option of weird wasteland. But of course I wan't hired to participate on design.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Wouldn't expect it to be a big hit if I were you. Medieval settings without fantasy are kind of a hard sell. Mount & Blade only got "huge" because it's sold at 3€ and has an incredible mod community.

I think you give the masses too much credit. Do people really like Skyrim because it has dragons and fireballs? Any time casuals talk about it, they love that it’s an immersive hiking simulator. “Much immersive, so trees!” They may well love Kingdom Come: Deliverance for all the wrong reasons. If this game ends up being a blockbuster it will be because it’s got great foliage.
How much do you like historical novels? Would you prefer them over fantasy novels, or SF novels?
The fuck is a history novels ??? I do read historical books/sources and do enjoy them,also i do like to read ancient and medieval books. But i don't know what the fuck is history novels. Also history beats modern fantasy shit everyday. Most of the modern writers are total shit like that one....Georg Martin or what ever his name was,the one with game of shit books.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Try to ask without word fuck when you responding to a nice post.

Have you heard about Alexander Dumas?
Or Memoirs of a Geisha?
I actually wanted to say something about Umberto Eco, but then I remembered what would happen to normal people when they read his books.

Stuff like that. An invented story that's happening in Ancient, or Medieval ages.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
You're right bro, a game with a millionaire marketing budget part of a decade-old well established successful franchise with braindead gameplay is totally comparable to a new IP made by literal whos whose marketing tactics are posting screenshots on twitter and gameplay videos where the dialogue animations are being compared to Oblivion's terrible animation work.
And don't forget that time when he hired a historical fencer team...

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Try to ask without word fuck when you responding to a nice post.

Have you heard about Alexander Dumas?
Or Memoirs of a Geisha?
I actually wanted to say something about Umberto Eco, but then I remembered what would happen to normal people when they read his books.

Stuff like that. An invented story that's happening in Ancient, or Medieval ages.
Mate,don't be offended by a tad bit of vulgarity,it is not as if i was insulting you. People do use vulgar words. Also it is amazing that you have spend half a decade in the codex and expect code of conduct.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

The Name of the Rose is absolutely fantastic, if you can get over the hyper-intellectual masturbation. Foucault's Pendulum is...interesting. Everything is else is unreadable.

Also the best historical novel, as well one of the best books ever written, is The Egyptian by Mika Waltari, preferably in the wonderful English translation.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

if only we had Xi Jinping smiley :mrpresident:

e15-507.jpg

Mark Richard

Arcane
There's little evidence to support that claim considering there aren't any pure medieval RPGs on this scale. Surely if the success of the supposedly niche Divinity: OS2 taught or reminded us of anything, it's that many games industry taboos have become self-fulfilling prophecies. In the most extreme cases entire genres have been wiped out based on erroneous reasoning, until someone came along with a vision. I think what'll really affect Kingdom Come's success is whether the streamers adopt it. There's not much else competing for their attention during the release window.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Some of the things i expect this game to fail at (such as dialog, no way the writing isn't gonna be Witcher levels at best) is not something the average gaymer either cares or has any understanding of. The foliage will sell this thing to the masses, most definitely.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Some of the things i expect this game to fail at (such as dialog, no way the writing isn't gonna be Witcher levels at best) is not something the average gaymer either cares or has any understanding of. The foliage will sell this thing to the masses, most definitely.

the writing and dialogue will be top notch.

citation: mafia 1 & 2

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
Yeah the common dialogue scenes are probably the weakest part, presenation-wise. It is very inferior to Witcher 3, but understandable given the less than quarter of a budget it had.
I do hope they are still polishing those right until the release though.
God, I hate these comparisons to Witcher 3. Least of all is it a matter of budget. I'm not gonna comment on the resulting quality of our dialogues. You be the judges. It's gotten much better in the last months but it will never be Witcher 3. Bear in mind that 99% of all dialogs in Witcher 3 have predefined placement in the gameworld, sometimes even game time (or it's suddenly forced). This allowed the devs to:
- adjust lighting for different conditions (time of day, weather)
- prepare the stage for custom actor movements (Ciri is sitting on this chair, then while geralt is saying B, Ciri will stand up, pick an apple from the table right there and lean against the wall just to the right)
- use a wide variety of prebaked basic stances (again heavily dependent on surroundings) where each comes with a "gesture variation"
All of which results in "cinematic feeling". In other words - every dialog in Witcher 3 is a cutscene.
Cutscenes come with some shortcomings of course. The biggest one is that every NPC with important dialog can be interacted with only in predefined places where they stand 24/7. The NPCs cannot move around or if they do they are confined to a small place and their exact placement is not taken into account anyway (Tris is sleepsin a room during the night or sitting on a chair next to the bed during the day, and if you trigger the dialog, none of that matters). You cannot have a dialog with them at a place of you choosing. The relevant parts of the world are static and inert as fuck, just like in Morrowind. The rest is generated extras. These can move, they don't matter. TTL 20 seconds.
It's not like we couldn't do the same with our dialogs (ignoring limited workforce on our part). Cryengine has very similar tech to the what they've built for their dialogs. We didn't do that for one crucial reason - the core concept of our game is in clash with this.
Just like in Bethesda games 99% of dialogs in our game are tied to NPC who can and do move through the world and you can trigger the dialogs at any time and any place. Be it in the kitchen in the middle of the woods during high noon or on the way between the pub and their home after sunset. Cameras must be placed dynamically, shots must be cut dynamically, it is impossible to tailor lighting to the situation at hand, dialogs cannot take the surroundings into consideration (there's no table with an apple nor a wall to lean against). In that regard I think we nailed the system quite well. Similar to us is Bethesda's Fallout 4 which has taken the lazy route and is simply placing the dialog cameras on either of skeleton bones which are just behind the actor shoulders or defaults to first person. Which results to boring shot reverse-shot cameras and if the actors is jerking due to physics, camera is jerking with them. We have much more complex system which allows for truly dynamic camera positioning independent from actors' state (but computed from it). It should be noted that some dialogs in Witcher 3 can be executed anywhere as well so the game also features a similar but much simpler system and you will notice when it's triggered - the results are most of the time horrible (but it doesn't matter because it's rare).
Many people have expressed wishes along "hopefully Bethesda will learn from CD Projekt and will up their game (and tech) so we could get the next TES more cinematic-y!". No, unless Bethesda rolls back their formula to Morrowind era of static NPCs they will not. Even the almighty and super rich Bethesda can't go down this route. And the thing that Witcher 3 does the same way we and Bethesda do CD Projekt does way way worse (so they should up their game too! :-P).

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
Witcher 1 was not a flop, it sold 600,000 copies in first three months, before major discounts.

Where is this number from? I've always thought W1 was a flop on launch and they only made a bundle with the Director's Cut.
I recommend the Noclip documentary o Youtube. It goes deeeep

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom