Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2017: Results & Cool Graphs

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Friendly reminder that when we made the Codex-only GOTY in 2016 and filtered results to only show oldfags, their results where the most popamole of all. :M

Morkar Left

Since it seems some people still have difficulty in defining what is an RPG, let me help you:

Divinity: Original Sin 2 - RPG
Prey - not an RPG
Battle Brothers - not an RPG
Expeditions: Viking: - RPG
Dominions 5 - not an RPG
Nier: Automata - not an RPG
ELEX - RPG
West of Loathing - RPG*
Nioh - RPG*
Spellforce 3 - not an RPG

In the future, please consult my expertise before making shameful mistakes.

*) See, I am not a grognard. I am a tolerant person with an open mind. I'll even allow some weaboo action games and markiplier-endorsed crap.

For future reference, X-Com is not an RPG. Jagged Alliance games are not RPGs. System Shock 2 is not an RPG. Warcraft 3 is not an RPG. Traps are gay. Hitler did nothing wrong. It was aliens.

Great! Finally someones spills it out.

Except JA2 is an rpg ofc.

Suicidal

Arcane
Since it seems some people still have difficulty in defining what is an RPG, let me help you:

Divinity: Original Sin 2 - RPG
Prey - not an RPG
Battle Brothers - not an RPG
Expeditions: Viking: - RPG
Dominions 5 - not an RPG
Nier: Automata - not an RPG
ELEX - RPG
West of Loathing - RPG*
Nioh - RPG*
Spellforce 3 - not an RPG

In the future, please consult my expertise before making shameful mistakes.

*) See, I am not a grognard. I am a tolerant person with an open mind. I'll even allow some weaboo action games and markiplier-endorsed crap.

For future reference, X-Com is not an RPG. Jagged Alliance games are not RPGs. System Shock 2 is not an RPG. Warcraft 3 is not an RPG. Traps are gay. Hitler did nothing wrong. It was aliens.

Great! Finally someones spills it out.

Except JA2 is an rpg ofc.

Why is Nier not an RPG and Nioh is, tho? Both are action games with samurai swords.

Ruzen

Savant
>Me wants to define RPG
>Character building
>Branching story
>Challanging world
>Relationships with party members
>Now I think the Sims series is the best RPG of all time.
:martini:

Lhynn

Arcane
Any of you fuckers played bionic battle mutants? didnt see it on the list, but maybe im blind and retarded. Either way i wanted to know what you guys thought of it.

laclongquan

Arcane
The Bayenessian average really show actual quality of this game. Look at the number and any (nonexistent) desire to play these games just evaporate out of me.
Just look at that column:

15982.png

Kitchen Utensil

Completely retarded results.
Probably has more to do with the games than with Codex though. It's tough to decide between different kinds of total shit.

ArchAngel

Arcane
The Bayenessian average really show actual quality of this game. Look at the number and any (nonexistent) desire to play these games just evaporate out of me.
Just look at that column:

15982.png
if we remove two non RPG from the top, Expeditions: Vikings gets its deserved spot.

sin

Educated
Those results are a little bit funny when compared to 2012-2016 GOTY. The points scale has been reduced which probably had some impact on the final scores, however let's just ignore that and incorporate the 2017 poll into previous one.
The last year's winner, D:OS2, would have been 26th, just slightly better than Shadowrun:Returns.
Second game, Prey, would have been 44th, taking the place of Tyranny.
And 3rd Battle Brothers would have been 69th, beating FFX/X2.

What a shitty year of pure decline indeed. Anyway, thanks for putting it together.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
And if we remove the top three non-RPGs, Nier: Automata is third.

Friendship ended with western RPG, J-action-RPG is now my best friend.

D:OS2 aside there were no RPGs this year that deserve an above mediocre rating, it had some MAJOR flaws though (armor system, bloat, sketchy scaling etc.), but despite those and a host of other, smaller issues it was still very much playable and enjoyable experience. West of Loathing was good for what it is.

Elex sucked absolute dick.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Those results are a little bit funny when compared to 2012-2016 GOTY. The points scale has been reduced which probably had some impact on the final scores, however let's just ignore that and incorporate the 2017 poll into previous one.
The last year's winner, D:OS2, would have been 26th, just slightly better than Shadowrun:Returns.

What a shitty year of pure decline indeed. Anyway, thanks for putting it together.

D:OS 2 has the same percentage of top and positive votes as Witcher 3. With a 1-5 scale it would be #1 or #2.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron

No, D:OS2 would've been second, losing only to The Twitcher 3.

You can't compare bayesian averages from different methods, but the % of people who played and of positive votes should be about the same.

sin

Educated
Yeah, you are actually right, I didn't really think it through. The scale change made easy comparison impossible, so what I did was as good as garbage collector simulator (aka Fallout 4), sorry! ;c

I, however, still believe that last year was rather terrible in terms of quality of new releases.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
D:OS2 aside there were no RPGs this year that deserve an above mediocre rating, it had some MAJOR flaws though (armor system, bloat, sketchy scaling etc.), but despite those and a host of other, smaller issues it was still very much playable and enjoyable experience. West of Loathing was good for what it is.

Elex sucked absolute dick.
Grimoire is the GOTY.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Probably it's wrong thread and I will be hated by everyone, but I still not understand why the fuck Witcher 3 considered by many people as RPG. Don't get me wrong I understand that all people have different tastes in games and Witcher 3 was definitely not bad game, but... I mean, common, there are no RP. In Witcher 3 there are only one role- Geralt, predefined character with name and class. It's similar to The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard, except Witcher games have open world and Redguard considered as action-adventure. Same question I have to Dark Souls series, which have even less RPG elements.

The whole idea behind this poll is a paradox. On one hand, the poll is named after a specific genre, implying that the contest is about a specific kind of games and excluses everything else. On the other hand, the definition of what constitutes this genre is made so loose that games as fundamentally different as Nioh and West of Loathing are both included. Which raises the question, why make the poll genre-exclusive in the first place? And more importantly, what do these results tell us? Which games of a specific genre are the most popular? Nope, all these games belong to different genres. Maybe they tell us which games are the most popular regardless of genre? Nope, because the candidates are arbitrarily selected. If that's the case... what was the purpose of this poll again?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Probably it's wrong thread and I will be hated by everyone, but I still not understand why the fuck Witcher 3 considered by many people as RPG. Don't get me wrong I understand that all people have different tastes in games and Witcher 3 was definitely not bad game, but... I mean, common, there are no RP. In Witcher 3 there are only one role- Geralt, predefined character with name and class. It's similar to The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard, except Witcher games have open world and Redguard considered as action-adventure. Same question I have to Dark Souls series, which have even less RPG elements.
Yeah, and Ultima VII is also not an RPG because you just play as the Avatar. :roll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom