Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2017: Results & Cool Graphs

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Agree, I don't want to know what some people outside of Codex think about this or that, that's just irritating.
I think, if you create annual poll for everyone, you need to pair it with poll for Codexer only.
And then compare.
We had that already, D:OS 2 won with ELEX and Grimoire sharing the #2 spot.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
All that bitching on DOS2 is ridiculous. The game is great. DOS1 was a nice tactical RPG burriend under shitty world design and weird plot (especially that idiotic psychobilly zombie quest that lasted half the game). DOS2 improved on virtually every aspect. The combat is great, sure it can become a serious quagmire of status effects, but anyone with attention span longer than ADHD kind on covfefe should manage that, because firstly, in most cases you are fighting major magical abominations and it's meant to be messy, and secondly such combat means actual commitment to planning it out, instead of a generic popamole trash mob mop up. They ironed out the obvious exploits of DOS1, like spamming backstabs, and ill balanced skills. The armour soaking can get pretty absurd with some enemies, but I can live with it. At the same time I also like the ARPG loot system, because it makes everything actually worth checking and/or killing, although I admit I'd prefer it was more about random properties, than the constant tiering and devaluation of old gear. The plot won't be winning any prizes as again, the atmosphere is totally inconsistent, bouncing between forcibly hilarious and slaughterhouse morbid, but it does a solid job of stitching the combat encounters together with enough reason to not fall asleep. Plus they had to tailor it so it fits the stupid co-op bullshit that got kickstarted, so... Dialogues are well structured, and often meaningful, even though the tag system weighs too heavily on "scholar". Level design is pretty good, adding much needed verticality to what DOS1 had and rewarding exploration. The visuals, for my standards are beautiful, because they are far better than needed. The music is simply wonderful. One thing I didn't like the most, were the characters. I get they all have long dialogue lines, and unique stories behind them, but quite frankly, except for maybe Lohse, I didn't really care to learn more about them. The pirate dwarf was fun to watch interacting with others, alright. The Lawrence of Arabia beau mercenary. The edgy assassin. The transcendent undead. The evil bigot lizard. All boring. Compared to MotB, Tyranny even, they seemed laughably thin and set up to address certain audiences. The romances? I couldn't give a lesser fuck about them. If I wanted that, I'd go and play a visual novel and got some hentai as a bonus. All in all, not a perfect game, but still the best one last year.

You just described a pretty terrible game...

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Since it seems some people still have difficulty in defining what is an RPG, let me help you:

Divinity: Original Sin 2 - RPG
Prey - not an RPG
Battle Brothers - not an RPG
Expeditions: Viking: - RPG
Dominions 5 - not an RPG
Nier: Automata - not an RPG
ELEX - RPG
West of Loathing - RPG*
Nioh - RPG*
Spellforce 3 - not an RPG

In the future, please consult my expertise before making shameful mistakes.

*) See, I am not a grognard. I am a tolerant person with an open mind. I'll even allow some weaboo action games and markiplier-endorsed crap.

For future reference, X-Com is not an RPG. Jagged Alliance games are not RPGs. System Shock 2 is not an RPG. Warcraft 3 is not an RPG. Traps are gay. Hitler did nothing wrong. It was aliens.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I thought Spellforce was pretty heavy on the RPG side of things. Never played it though.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Agree, I don't want to know what some people outside of Codex think about this or that, that's just irritating.
I think, if you create annual poll for everyone, you need to pair it with poll for Codexer only.
And then compare.
We had that already, D:OS 2 won with ELEX and Grimoire sharing the #2 spot.

I think we can all agree that the results of the Google™ poll should be null and void. The official results of the Codex-only™ poll that included only TrueRPG's™ should be seen as the actual GOTY results.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Still, this poll shows something quite well... It shows why democracy doesn't work.

It doesn't work when the voting system sucks (downvotes are possible) and when illegal aliens can vote as well (non-Codex members).
So you guys bitching about "SJW" game, but eager to do the same that many social media did? I mean many internet social media removed downvotes, because bunch of fucktards from SJW (and others) was afraid that their precious posts would be downvoted. Seems fanaticism fried your brain and you started contradict yourself. Democracy working fine, just degenerates like you can't bear others opinions and want to silence anybody who doesn't fit your agenda ( again remind me about SJW, lol).
And you can't even describe good game. I have seen you shitting on other games in different subforums, but you never can come up with something more than your arrogant opinion about "how gaming industry should fit MY view on things".

I know, I should be smarter than this and forget to trying use logic on reason on people who decided playing little bitch on gaming forum for rest of their lives, but sometimes you remind me religious fanatics, who want reinforce their view on others and I don't want this forum to become another shithole where people get banned for their opinion.

I thought Spellforce was pretty heavy on the RPG side of things. Never played it though.
It's definetely more RPG than Prey, but it still strategy with rpg elements.

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Still, this poll shows something quite well... It shows why democracy doesn't work.

It doesn't work when the voting system sucks (downvotes are possible) and when illegal aliens can vote as well (non-Codex members).
So you guys bitching about "SJW" game, but eager to do the same that many social media did? I mean many internet social media removed downvotes, because bunch of fucktards from SJW (and others) was afraid that their precious posts would be downvoted. Seems fanaticism fried your brain and you started contradict yourself. Democracy working fine, just degenerates like you can't bear others opinions and want to silence anybody who doesn't fit your agenda ( again remind me about SJW, lol).
And you can't even describe good game. I have seen you shitting on other games in different subforums, but you never can come up with something more than your arrogant opinion about "how gaming industry should fit MY view on things".

I know, I should be smarter than this and forget to trying use logic on reason on people who decided playing little bitch on gaming forum for rest of their lives, but sometimes you remind me religious fanatics, who want reinforce their view on others and I don't want this forum to become another shithole where people get banned for their opinion.

It's definetely more RPG than Prey, but it still strategy with rpg elements.

I never said i had a good taste in games, i love playing on consoles, i love jrpg's, i love playing dumb action adventure games like Uncharted as much as i love playing Underrail... that still doesnt change the fact that i, personally, think that Larian is an overrated developer and the shit that they have been churning out for years is just that... shit.

Dead Guy

Cipher
The ELEX butthurt this year is even more delicious than when Underrail beat AoD. I honestly didn't think it was possible.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
All that bitching on DOS2 is ridiculous...
Yea, it pretty much sums up my impressions of DOS2 as well. Game is not masterpiece, but good for what it is. Considering romance stuff, I told some hunter faggot to fuck off and it was all romance that I experienced in the DOS2. Not finished it, though, stopped when you almost leave the island.

Last edited:

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
All that bitching on DOS2 is ridiculous...
Yea, it pretty much sums my impressions of DOS2 as well. Game is not masterpiece, but good for what it is. Considering romance stuff, I told some hunter faggot to fuck off and it was all romance that I experienced in the DoS2. Not finished it, though, stopped when you almost leave the island.

And that's the secret of D:OS 2 Codex GOTY in a nutshell.

All this Jasede and Co DOS2 trolling kinda reminds me of those people who cried about Zevran romance in DAO, or that what was his name - Anders? - forced them into buttsex romance in DA2, or people saying that they just was trying to be nice with characters in ME and that led to a sex scene, etc. Granted, DAO was only good for what it is, and DA2 was shit, but even Bioware didn't force the player to fuck someone, and it was entirely possible to play the game without engaging in romance. And we are talking about Bioware, who made the romance their staple feature. In DOS2, at least when playing with friends, romance isn't forced on anyone. The game has one of the best turn-based combats in recent RPGs. It's not perfect, it's not a Gold Box RPG, or ToEE, but it can be challenging, entertaining and can be won in a wide variety of ways. Moreover, while writing often is nothing to write home about, it's way more tolerable and less cringey than in DOS1. But even if we won't grade on a curve, writing is serviceable, and game world's interactivity, very good combat and non-linear quest solutions make the game worthy of being a GOTY. Of course, it wasn't a very good year and DOS2 doesn't really have enough competitors, but still - it's a good game.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The game has one of the best turn-based combats in recent RPGs.

It's not perfect, it's not a Gold Box RPG, or ToEE, but it can be challenging, entertaining and can be won in a wide variety of ways.

each time i read 'it's not perfect like in x but' i want to stab someone, and reading it in close proximity to 'has one of the best x' only intensifies that feeling

The game has one of the best turn-based combats in recent RPGs.

It's not perfect, it's not a Gold Box RPG, or ToEE, but it can be challenging, entertaining and can be won in a wide variety of ways.

each time i read 'it's not perfect like in x but' i want to stab someone, and reading it in close proximity to 'has one of the best x' only intensifies that feeling
Well, watchugonnado, we live in Decline.

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Expedition Viking is my most played recent RPG after Underrail. I enjoyed the mechanics, the writing,
the setting and the graphics. It took my a bit at first, I did even bounce from it first, but I did that
too with Fallout 2 and the beloved Temple of Trials. I ended replaying Viking three times in row.
It is not good for what it is. It is good.

As for Divinity, after playing Vikings I found it just tedious. After all the positive feedback
I thought, well, it must be good. After forcing myself to play it for some hours, I didn't return
to it. It felt like a chore. Like reading the first 100 pages of a book, and deciding, if to continue,
in the hope that it will get more interesting, or discard it, deciding it's not worth your time.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I mean, I can understand why some might not like the combat or writing, but what exactly is wrong with a bit of gay skeleton sex? If anything, I thought this feature would be met with enthusiasm in these very prestigious halls.

In fact, it makes a lot of sense to me that Jasede's ire towards D:OS2 has to do with the fact that the game features romancable lizardmen, but not furries. It's ok Jasede, I'm sure that if you provide Larian with your honest feedback, they will accomodate you in D:OS3.

imweasel

:whatho:

What a joke. Codexia must be accepting too many refugees from shithole countries (i.e. the polls were open to all).

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Someone filter the votes to show what the results are if only 10+ reg. date oldfags voted.

:what: >>>>>>>> :dead: >>>>>>>> :rage:

What is this .... I don't even... ah the codex is done, I need to find a new place to discuss RPGs. You people voted for an RPG with kid humor and all the gravitas of a belch joke, and some crappy action game with female droids? Over ELEX? And most of you didn't even play ELEX? And most of you played like 1 rpg the whole year, and voted for that 1 rpg and didn't see the problem with that? There needs to be some filtering for people who actually play RPGs, the rest should just stick to GD/Shoutbox.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
i'd laff if the top 3 was dos2, battel bruvas and elex tho, because then it would be like a distorting shitmirror version of 2009 goty with dergon age, kotc and risen

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom