Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your favorite RTS games Poll

What are the best rts games that you have played ?

• Missed: Myth III: The Wolf Age - 2001

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Missed: Codename: Panzers, Phase One - 2004

• Missed: Colony Wars - 1997

• Missed: Ground Control II: Operation Exodus - 2004

• Missed: Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord - 2000

• Missed: Plants vs. Zombies - 2009

• Missed: AI War: Fleet Command - 2009

• Missed: Gene Wars - 1996

• Missed: Gender Wars - 1996

• Missed: Act of War: Direct Action - 2005

• Missed: Empire Earth II - 2005

• Missed: Blitzkrieg - 2003

• Missed: American Conquest - 2003

• Missed: Combat Mission 3: Afrika Korps - 2003

• Missed: Empires: Dawn of the Modern World - 2003

• Missed: Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends - 2006

• Missed: Medieval Conquest - 2004

• Missed: Arena Wars - 2004

• Missed: Theocracy - 2000

• Missed: Anno 2070 - 2011

• Missed: Orcs Must Die! - 2011

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Unwanted

logan

Unwanted
Too many missing titles here for me too vote. Either list everything, or break it down into multiple polls somehow. AoE II is still the greatest RTS of all time though.

I cant list everything there a limit of poll choices

Unwanted

logan

Unwanted
:what:

I think it's plainly obvious that you don't see the issue with abusing language, but these are all blatantly not RTS games and people are unlikely to vote for them regardless of whether they are good games or not simply because they do not belong on an RTS list. According to your fool logic, I suppose Lemmings is a real-time strategy game too, and Worms would be a turn-based strategy game. But if you were to advertise them as such any sane person familiar with those genres would be rightly pissed at you for misrepresenting what kind of game it is.

None of those are RTS games. Don't be a fucking idiot.

Okay,now according to your fool logic: Civliziation games arent Turn-Based because they are part of the 4x subgenre.Jagged alliance arent turn based because its part of the Turn-based Tatics Subgenre.

nobre

Cipher
Voted for AoE, AoEII, M:TW, R:TW, Red Alert and Red Alert 2, Tiberian Sun, Warcraft II and Cossacks. Would like to vote for Shogun: Total War and one, maybe two of the Sudden Strike games, but they aren't listed.

Absinthe

Arcane
Okay,now according to your fool logic: Civliziation games arent Turn-Based because they are part of the 4x subgenre.Jagged alliance arent turn based because its part of the Turn-based Tatics Subgenre.
Stop acting like an idiot attempting to score "comebacks" and start using your head instead. Now...
  1. Learn to spell, capitalize, and punctuate properly. I'm sure you do actually know how to write properly so stop writing like a fucking idiot unless you want to be treated like one. We do in fact discriminate against bad writing and shitty posts here on the RPG Codex, so get your shit in order already.
  2. Your logic is shit. Civilization falls under both 4X and TBS genres, so it's obviously valid to call it a TBS and to call it a 4X. The logic isn't "if there's a specific term you can't use the general" it's that "everyone operates under a specific definition of these phrases so stop playing semantics to twist them into meaning other shit."
  3. Jagged Alliance is indeed not a TBS because it's a turn-based tactics game which is a different genre. If you can't handle applying conventional meanings and have a compulsive urge to act stupid and play semantics instead, you are still fucking wrong because even semantically, tactics is not strategy. Tactics is small-scale planning while strategy is large-scale planning. Managing a skirmish would be tactics. Managing a war would be strategy. So games like X-COM and JA are still turn-based tactics games, not turn-based strategy games.
If Syndicate Wars is an RTS, then Cannon Fodder is as well.

Will the 2018 newfags make us nostalgic for 2017 newfags?
In this case at least, the answer is yes. Man, I missed that he listed Syndicate Wars. Oh well, list's shit. We already knew that, but the question is if he'll try to understand why it's wrong instead of spinning a bunch of excuses and whining that he has to be right. So far the signs are no good.

Cael

Arcane
Just a note: X-Como was never billed as a strategy game. It has always been classified as a squad-based tactical game, even by its creators. It is in the same genre as D.R.A.G.O.N. Force, Fallout Tactics and Incubation.

ArchAngel

Arcane
And I think you are a retard.

Random insult on internet ? how old are you ?
This is not random spot on Internet.
THIS IS CODEX!!!!!!!!!
giphy.gif

Unwanted

logan

Unwanted
Stop acting like an idiot attempting to score "comebacks" and start using your head instead. Now...
  1. Learn to spell, capitalize, and punctuate properly. I'm sure you do actually know how to write properly so stop writing like a fucking idiot unless you want to be treated like one. We do in fact discriminate against bad writing and shitty posts here on the RPG Codex, so get your shit in order already.
  2. Your logic is shit. Civilization falls under both 4X and TBS genres, so it's obviously valid to call it a TBS and to call it a 4X. The logic isn't "if there's a specific term you can't use the general" it's that "everyone operates under a specific definition of these phrases so stop playing semantics to twist them into meaning other shit."
  3. Jagged Alliance is indeed not a TBS because it's a turn-based tactics game which is a different genre. If you can't handle applying conventional meanings and have a compulsive urge to act stupid and play semantics instead, you are still fucking wrong because even semantically, tactics is not strategy. Tactics is small-scale planning while strategy is large-scale planning. Managing a skirmish would be tactics. Managing a war would be strategy. So games like X-COM and JA are still turn-based tactics games, not turn-based strategy games.
If Syndicate Wars is an RTS, then Cannon Fodder is as well.

Will the 2018 newfags make us nostalgic for 2017 newfags?
In this case at least, the answer is yes. Man, I missed that he listed Syndicate Wars. Oh well, list's shit. We already knew that, but the question is if he'll try to understand why it's wrong instead of spinning a bunch of excuses and whining that he has to be right. So far the signs are no good.

All right,ok,you win,that make your life feel better ?

Now about my english,nothing i can do about it,i am not a native english speaker and translaters suck.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nostalgia goggles are strong in this thread :lol:

upyours.png
Up Yours x 1
clear.png
rating_retarded.png
retadred x 1
:lol: catfood GrainWetski
Come on, guys, let's be real for a moment.

Dune II?
Nobody argues the importance of that game. Or that it has that incredible oldschool charm.
But the clunkiness, the UI, the "flow" of the game... just look at it.
Nobody would play a game with gameplay like that today for any reason other than nostalgia.
We played it back then because there was nothing better - and only few games from back then we still play today because there still is nothing better (see the old XCOMs/OpenXCom, or AoE3, or the HD remakes of AoE2 & 1).

But I bet almost everyone would rather play the latest installment of C&C (as in the latest that didn't suck) than Dune II.
Or even Emperor: Battle For Dune to stay in universe ;)

Of course, the poll said "your favorite", so nostalgia is valid here, too.
Just denying that nostalgia is the only reason some games get a vote in that list is pretty silly.

You have my permission to retard-vote me for this, though. I know the truth hurts.

Last edited:

passerby

Arcane
Missing: Original War - I'd vote for it, would rate it somewhere at the end of the first 10.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
My first RTS was AOE2 and it's still my favorite, although if 0 A.D. gets finished that might be a worthy true successor to AOE2, it has a lot of great ideas but at the moment the game is essentially unplayable due to the poor performance.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Commandos is not an RTS either. Good game, but wrong genre. Plants vs Zombies is not an RTS either. This list needs help.

I Disagree,Commandos games plays in real time and its requires strategy ! tatics games are also strategy games,RTS dont need to be "collect resource raise army crush enemies" type of games.Same for Plants vs Zombies tower defenses games requires strategy too !

Not RTS the litteral words, RTS the genre. Goddamnit.

passerby

Arcane
With this mod D2 controls like C&C1 and is overall better game than that (worms, sand, base building on scarce rocks formations, atmosphere, artstyle ) and you don't complain about people voting for C&C.

I mean objectively it doesn't belong in top10, but is still far from the worst game on the list.
While most of us, who played it as their frst RTS, never had this much fun with an RTS ever again.

Last edited:

Suicidal

Arcane
Poll is missing Command & Conquer 4.

So that people who vote for it could be permabanned.

Freddie

Savant
My vote for other went to Homeworld: Cataclysm, which IMO is notable for being better game than actual sequel Homeworld 2.

SniperHF

Arcane
I always liked the first Battle for Middle Earth more than the second one. The second one had the freed up base building but I didn't think the mechanics supported the increased scale. I liked the more distilled first game better.

Too bad both are in some sort of rights hell regardless.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom