Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2017: Results & Cool Graphs

Sentinel

Arcane
Two games with Chris Avellone writing are in the top three, not such a surprise, the affinity between the Codex and MCA is still strong.

PS
D:OS2 is meant to be played with your girlfriend, since when Codexers have friends, and girlfriends at that?
None of Avellone's writing is in DivOS2. Fane was written by Larian staff, designed/conceptualized by Avellone.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
ELEX was surprisingly popular - the third most voted game in the poll. It had a lot of positives votes, but like Nier it was held back by filthy casuals who don't understand the glory of janky games.

This is why all ELEX belongs to the hybrid. U don't deserve it.

Anyway, I haven't played anything within the TOP 3 though. Still, DivOS 2 got a hefty bunch of positive rates despite the mixed feelings.

Perhaps I should give it a try......

B- but the writing is so good...

:negative:

> fully voiced verbose descriptive text in dialogue.
> idle 3D models behaving like a pair of animated sprites.
> erotic writing on par of cheap smut for bored housewives.

hmm na, I'm good.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
What, you don't love this bold, inclusive writing? Having gay sex with lizardmen and skeletons is the reason we began discussing Fallout in the first place. Always have we dreamed of an RPG that gives us what we deep down really want. Fuck solid combat or interesting encounters, screw good writing or an interesting plot -- give me the lizard dicks!

Zerth

Arbiter
AFAIK Divinity OS 2 sold over 500k. The future of TB Rpgs is gonna be led by a lizardman boner, how ominous.
:deathclaw:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I can picture it now:

Announcing: Divinity: Original Sin 3: You thought you saw Everything. We had Lizard Cock. We had Skeleton Sex. But this, for the Ultimate in Role-Playing Games, will blow your mind: Sex with SKELETAL LIZARDMEN LESBIANS!

Larian: We put the holes into Swiss cheese with your boners.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
What, you don't love this bold, inclusive writing? Having gay sex with lizardmen and skeletons is the reason we began discussing Fallout in the first place. Always have we dreamed of an RPG that gives us what we deep down really want. Fuck solid combat or interesting encounters, screw good writing or an interesting plot -- give me the lizard dicks!

Do lizards even have dicks? I had an iguana as a kid and I’m pretty sure it had no discernible genitals because we couldn’t tell if it was a boy or a girl. maybe it just didn’t live long enough to hit lizard puberty.

I guess the same could be said about the skeleton.

But why should it have to be believable? The only video game romance that ever seemed credible to me was Miria/Davin from Fallout 2.

Azarkon

Arcane
Top 3 of Real RPGs™

1. Divinity: Original Sin 2
2. Expeditions: Viking
3. ELEX

EDIT: lol no I'm not

The Codex top 3 seems to align with Metacritics User Score quite well.

According to Metacritics User Score, the three top Codex choices would rate like this:

1. Divine Divinity: Original Sin 2 8.7
2. Expeditions: Viking 8.1
3. ELEX 6.8

But Torment has a higher rating on Metacritic User Score than it does on the Codex. Besides that and the absence of JRPG worship, which is a consistent problem with Metacritic User Scores, it all matches up.

RPG Codex: JRPGs and Brian Fargo need not apply.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I think this song perfectly encapsulates the current rpgcodex community, mentality, level of intelligence, and quality of thinking. Also mental age of liking kid shit. Your welcome codex! Enjoy!

SniperHF

Arcane
Wouldn't the obvious solution be next time to include an RPG-ness poll right next to each game and you can rate it's RPG qualities from 1-4 too? I mean what good is this forum if you can't have data to back up what is an RPG arguments :lol:

Have to agree with the idea that Viking never got enough credit. It's got problems like everything does, but at least on par with ELEX. Maybe a little better since apparently PB forgot how to design maps and enemy placement on them. Hell even Risen 2 was better at that and Risen 2's separated map scheme was shit.

Tides of Numenera got screwed by the move to 1-4. Considering that 2/4 got the most votes, I believe a lot of people would have ordinarily voted it 3/5 but couldn't, and 3/4 pushed it too far into positive. :M

Would have voted 3. Gun to my head it's a 2, mostly on its issues at actually being a game.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Agree, I don't want to know what some people outside of Codex think about this or that, that's just irritating.
I think, if you create annual poll for everyone, you need to pair it with poll for Codexer only.
And then compare.

ColCol

Arcane
As for curiosities, Unexplored proved it's worth a look - this exotic roguelike had the highest % of positive votes in the poll: 84%!
I'm more surprised at how many votes it got, I thought me and ColCol were the only people here who actually played it.
But it's certainly worth checking out, even for people who aren't roguelike fans (as am I, for example), it's much more of a top-down Ultima Underworld than anything else.

Seconded, this game is woefully ignored.

Dexter

Arcane
Top 3 of Real RPGs™
It's got RPG elements™.
It is an RPG of the year award. Felipepepe just prefers to err on the side of inclusion when it comes to genre hybrids. And why shouldn't he? Let's gather as much data as possible. You can always exclude games from the result and create your own "Real RPG" ranking, like I did in my first post in this thread.

This is fucking retarded. Something "Adventure"Gamers or RPGWatch or whatever shithole site would have pulled 5+ years ago and everyone else would have had a good laugh about it. The title of "prestigious magazine" should also be henceforth revoked for the new EiC™ making fun of RPGs by contemptuously calling them "Real RPGs™".

You have brought grave dishonor and should Rename the site to either "It's got RPGelementsCodex" or "Just prefers to err on the side of inclusion when it comes to genre hybridsCodex" until this can be rectified a year from now.

SHAME!

Also D:OS sucks.

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
I can picture it now:

Announcing: Divinity: Original Sin 3: You thought you saw Everything. We had Lizard Cock. We had Skeleton Sex. But this, for the Ultimate in Role-Playing Games, will blow your mind: Sex with SKELETAL LIZARDMEN LESBIANS!

Larian: We put the holes into Swiss cheese with your boners.
I hate necromancers as much as you, but your furry self hatred is too much.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
All that bitching on DOS2 is ridiculous. The game is great. DOS1 was a nice tactical RPG burried under shitty world design and weird plot (especially that idiotic psychobilly zombie quest that lasted half the game). DOS2 improved on virtually every aspect. The combat is great, sure it can become a serious quagmire of status effects, but anyone with attention span longer than ADHD kid on covfefe should manage that, because firstly, in most cases you are fighting major magical abominations and it's meant to be messy, and secondly, such combat means actual commitment to planning it out, instead of a generic popamole trash mob mop up. They ironed out the obvious exploits of DOS1, like spamming backstabs, and ill balanced skills. The armour soaking can get pretty absurd with some enemies, but I can live with it. At the same time I also like the ARPG loot system, because it makes everything actually worth checking and/or killing, although I admit I'd prefer it was more about random properties, than the constant tiering and devaluation of old gear. The plot won't be winning any prizes as again, the atmosphere is totally inconsistent, bouncing between forcibly hilarious and slaughterhouse morbid, but it does a solid job of stitching the combat encounters together with enough reason to not fall asleep. Plus they had to tailor it so it fits the stupid co-op bullshit that got kickstarted, so... Dialogues are well structured, and often meaningful, even though the tag system weighs too heavily on "scholar". Level design is pretty good, adding much needed verticality to what DOS1 had and rewarding exploration. The visuals, for my standards are beautiful, because they are far better than needed. The music is simply wonderful. One thing I didn't like the most, were the characters. I get they all have long dialogue lines, and unique stories behind them, but quite frankly, except for maybe Lohse, I didn't really care to learn more about them. The pirate dwarf was fun to watch interacting with others, alright. The Lawrence of Arabia beau mercenary. The edgy assassin. The transcendent undead. The evil bigot lizard. All boring. Compared to MotB, Tyranny even, they seemed laughably thin and set up to address certain audiences. The romances? I couldn't give a lesser fuck about them. If I wanted that, I'd go and play a visual novel and got some hentai as a bonus. All in all, not a perfect game, but still the best one last year.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom