Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh: Feudal Era Dark Souls

cruel

Cipher
The deep mechanics in this game still amaze movie. Very good video on nunjitsu mechanics, again I wasn't aware of some of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2RtWyBn4X8

Inventory system may be annoying, but this is the good part about it - all those optimizations. Probably will play a full ninja some time.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
How many of the missions do you need to do to advance to the next NG difficulty level? I assume you can't just go straight to the final mission the moment you advance to a new difficulty level. But I also assume that you don't need to complete every sub-mission to advance, correct?

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I spent way too much time on Way of the Strong, not realizing that all of my shit will just be out leveled the instant that I advance to the next difficulty. I have all of my armor crafted with ninjitsu damage modifiers, but I'm too poor to soul match it now (I'll probably have to go back to way of the strong to get lower level gear if I want to hold onto it, or just start from scratch with reforging).

Advice to anyone playing this for 100% achievements: rush through NG. The playstation version has different achievements (and is more difficult to 100%, from what I've read), but in the steam version, NG+ (Way of the Strong) is the only difficulty you need to 100% all of the missions and sub-missions to get 2 completion achievements (or nearly 100%, honestly I'm not sure how much you need to complete for the final levels unlock). However, once you finish the main portion of "Way of the Strong," don't waste your time with the DLC just yet (the DLC is a massive difficulty spike with not much additional reward). Instead, finish the main missions on Way of the Strong, then immediately rush through Way of the Demon and Way of the Wise as quickly as possible. Because of the way experience works in this game (you get more if characters are higher level than you), if you rush the difficulties and just kill low level enemies on a higher difficulty, you can advance 50+ levels in an hour and get tons of high level gear. Especially if you do a twilight mission (if it's too difficult for you, just summon a co-op partner).

Anyhow, I basically just have the 20th level of the Abyss Achievement and Holy Trinity (I have the two items, but I still need to farm for the Kusanagi Tsurugi). I also still need to get to Way of Nioh to unlock the last 5 levels of the Abyss (edit turns out the higher levels of the abyss unlock at a lower difficulty, you don't need way of nioh).

I'm kind of getting sick of playing the same levels over and over. Luckily, with catwalking and Suppa scrolls you can rush most main missions in 5-10 minutes. Although, a couple levels are designed to be a fucking pain and can't be easily rushed (Holy shit am I sick of that water level where you have to light 3 torches to make the boss manageable).

Last edited:

newtmonkey

Arcane
Finally got this and it's awesome. I prefer it to DS3 at this point (and it is of course far and away better than any of the other DS clones [i.e. Lords of the Fallen and The Surge]).

I am getting some awful performance from this thing. I've got a "gaming" laptop with a GTX 1050 TI (I know, but I use this thing for work, so I had to sacrifice power for portability and battery life). However, this is the only game I have yet to play on it that I can't pretty much max everything out. In fact, I need to set the rendering resolution to LOW to maintain 60 fps. Changing what little graphics options that are available basically does nothing- whether I set everything else to min or max, the frame rate is the same. Pretty crazy, cuz the game does not look that great.

Oh well, it plays well enough that I don't mind (too much). I'm only a couple of hours in, but am loving it so far.

[edit] Shadow settings are definitely messed up, must be some incompatibility with my card (though I have read of people having issues with this game using a GTX 1080 also). Setting shadows from "low" to "medium" actually BOOSTS the framerate considerably, possibly 5-10 fps higher.

Anyway, I am 5 hours into this game and loving it. When I got bored of DS3 a few hours in, I figured I had had enough of this kind of game... but no, playing Nioh is like playing DS1 for the first time again, and I can't wait to finish work each day and put some more time into it.

Last edited:

cruel

Cipher
To be honest, it's hard for me to imagine a Souls fan not enjoying Nioh. Difficulty, learning curve, atmosphere, some of the bosses, fantastic combat. Lore and enemy variety is of course worse, but still - I would put it below Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne, but higher than Dark Souls 2.

Also, I really admire the creativity for challenge in some of the sub missions. In one of the DLC missions, Onryoki + Namahage + Archer firing arrows from above at the same time. Some time before twin Raven Tengus, or mummy Lady + Tengu. Onryoki + monk playing music / summoning Revenants, closed inside a cage you cannot reach, also fun. All of this sometimes annoying, but sooo satisfying when you're done.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Emmanuel2
Thank you for the link. I changed the settings and gained a few FPS, but nothing drastic unfortunately.

HOWEVER, I discovered something big just now.

Until now, the only way I could maintain constant 60 fps was by setting "rendering resolution" to LOW—regardless of any other settings. Of course, doing this setting forces the game to render internally at 960x540 and then scale up to 1920x1080.

So just now I tried setting the game to 1280×720 and all other options to HIGH/ON (including "rendering resolution"), and the game now runs at a solid 60 fps with all settings maxed—and it looks much much better than LOW "rendering resolution" at 1920x1080.

Granted, it is ridiculous that I cannot run this game at 1920x1080 with my hardware.... oh well.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
To be honest, it's hard for me to imagine a Souls fan not enjoying Nioh. Difficulty, learning curve, atmosphere, some of the bosses, fantastic combat. Lore and enemy variety is of course worse, but still - I would put it below Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne, but higher than Dark Souls 2.

Also, I really admire the creativity for challenge in some of the sub missions. In one of the DLC missions, Onryoki + Namahage + Archer firing arrows from above at the same time. Some time before twin Raven Tengus, or mummy Lady + Tengu. Onryoki + monk playing music / summoning Revenants, closed inside a cage you cannot reach, also fun. All of this sometimes annoying, but sooo satisfying when you're done.

Those fanboys are afraid and are with butthurt because a new game with similar formula is in par with their unbeatable, perfect Souls series. To me, is a great game that I love like Souls games, and I ever consider that it is superior to Souls series in some regards.

I don't fucking care these dick measures and I enjoy everything as possible, simply as that.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So I decided to try it out.

And yikes! 79 GB download, followed by 29 GB patch.... what's wrong with those devs?

I'm yet to "get it". At least the axe feels nice and heavy.

Ezekiel

Arcane
As a Souls fan, I don't enjoy it. It's too hard. I'm sick of getting killed by rapid, stun-locking attacks. It was interesting for a while, but I've barely played it since I reached the giant toad boss like a month ago. I mean, I'm sure I could beat him if I kept trying, but I know afterwards there will just be another boss like this. Also, the environments lack the variety of the Souls games.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
6a2.jpg

Ezekiel

Arcane
Oh, and rapid attacks where the first one takes pretty much all your HP. I'm using my precious few healing items when my health isn't even one third depleted, because I know I'm gonna be one-shot by something. It's not fun. The four Souls games always gave me the motivation to keep going.

Last edited:

Suicidal

Arcane
But isn't Dark Souls the hardest game ever made as I've been told multiple times by esteemed members of the gaming press?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
As a Souls fan, I don't enjoy it. It's too hard. I'm sick of getting killed by rapid, stun-locking attacks. It was interesting for a while, but I've barely played it since I reached the giant toad boss like a month ago. I mean, I'm sure I could beat him if I kept trying, but I know afterwards there will just be another boss like this. Also, the environments lack the variety of the Souls games.

I'd say it's much easier then Dark Souls.
Its easier as you are given waaay more tools to handle any situation then in a DS game. Some crazy OP tools. And you're able to stack ridiculous multipliers from many different sources to deal sick damage and/or have huge defense. Also items get crazy powerfull... and it's not all RNG, because if you throw money at the Blacksmith, you can get pretty much get any mods you wish. Plus if you play online (why shouldn't you on a PC), the Revenants of other players often drop sick equipment.
Dark Souls is way more... balanced.

I love the bosses in general and love that human ones operate on similar rules as you do.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Combat is great and for me it's on par with DS. There is a lot more moveset variety and available options at any given time.

Also character building plus itemization is way more impactful then in DS. And while on the surface itemization is random, you have a lot of tools to control the randomness by throwing (in-game) money at that huge re-forging and Soul Matching sink. Plus there are lots of player revenants you can defeat and loot.

It just might be my favorite random itemization system.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Well, I must say I'm impressed. Never expected this game to keep me playing for so long. I practically never do NG+ stuff or such. In Nioh I recently started Way of the Demon (3rd difficulty). Of course, the DLC "shortcut" helped a lot (beating most of the DLC content on 1st difficulty will unlock all content on 2nd difficulty - including the final mission).
And I keep getting access to new stuff, new item properties/types. Strong enemies got huge buffs and abilities and the game is great fun again.

Also, I don't consider myself a loot whore.... but let me tell you Diablo has nothing on Nioh's itemization & loot. You constantly discover new ways to upgrade and optimize your gear. At the same time, it doesn't really become obsolete fast but stays relevant for a looong time if you upgrade it.

Suicidal

Arcane
This game surprised me too. Before it came to the PC I didn't think much of it and it didn't strike me as anything special from the few gameplay vids that I've watched. But when I got into it I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did.

I uninstalled all Dark Souls games immediately after I've beaten then (not because I disliked them or anything, just didn't feel the need to play them again any time soon), but Nioh is still on my PC and once I'm done with a few RPGs I'm planning to revisit it and go through the campaign on a higher difficulty or 2.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
It's a double pain for me because I download to my storage drive, which is external (USB)... which means the install is from an external onto my internal drive, taking twice as long.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Btw. For first and second difficulty it helps a lot to play online. You can spawn revenants from graves of other players and get a chance to loot their equipment. Which is often at least somewhat optimized.

Jinn

Arcane
It's a double pain for me because I download to my storage drive, which is external (USB)... which means the install is from an external onto my internal drive, taking twice as long.

A bitch, for sure. But definitely worth the wait.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom