Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2017: Results & Cool Graphs

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Oh god, I just can't argue with people at ResetEra... they are literally arguing that they don't like weighted votes because they just want to know what's more popular.

I mean, and let's be honest here for a second, that's precisely what overwhelming majority of GOTY awards are all about. It just so happens that most popular games are at least usually competently made or, may Allah forgive me, decent. Considering the wide net they're casting to get the mythical mainstream audience said production values are the primary bait you use for those.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Oh god, I just can't argue with people at ResetEra... they are literally arguing that they don't like weighted votes because they just want to know what's more popular.

:dead:

What did you expect coming from the cum stain leftovers from NeoGaf, not even devs seem to touch these freaks anymore, especially knowing that anyone with a used buttplug shoved deep inside their mouth can start a crusade asking for their heads because they offended the rare queer albino niggachu.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So after 10 pages:
For me this poll is a beacon of light in this cesspool. Apparently there are a lot of people who enjoy good games in here without whining constantly, they're just not so vocal as the ones that do.
Best remember that whenever y'all bash on stuff in here thinking you have some moral high ground. Apparently not even your own "audience" agrees with you. And I'm NOT talking about Roxor, at least not only about him. He at least articulates his opinions rather than saying all the time "what a shit game, decline, shit year, cuck cuck SJW"

Monty

Arcane
It's your own fault... why the fuck would you go promote this list to that shithole of all places?

Although "anime is a losing battle" does have a bit of potential as a future tagline for the site

xof1I7.png

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Love the smell of butthurt in the morning!

Only reason DOS2 won was 2017 being a shitty year for "real RPGs(TM)" .
I only figured how much I got bored of DOS2 after playing ELEX and having real goddamn fun, even after its all shortcomings.

Let's hope 2018 to be better.
It won't

:negative:

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I see the GOTY top 3 but I see no Grimwah.

Incline's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by a popamoler, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Cause its clearly an heir of system shock , that was the best rpg on 386-486 pc
I love System Shock to pieces, but pray tell me when it became an RPG? Hacker doesn't even have stats.

Last edited:

Mark Richard

Arcane
Expedition Viking deserved more votes. Not enough RPGs let you kill children nowadays.
I'd suggest using non-lethal mode, but there is nothing non-lethal about a malnourished street urchin going up against a hulking 280 pound Norse Berserker.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
West of Loathing should have won this, with EV coming in a close second. Therefore I declare this voting fixed and thus invalidated.

Mortmal

Arcane
I love System Shock to pieces, but pray tell me when it became an RPG? Hacker doesn't even have stats.
Many rpg elements in system shock , good story,and writing, good exploration and puzzles it defines the action/rpg subgenre. Better have a wide definition of rpgs as the only title close to a pen and paper session and qualifying this year would be divinity original sin 2.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Many rpg elements in system shock , good story,and writing, good exploration and puzzles it defines the action/rpg subgenre.
It's FPS/Adventure with RPG-elements. RPG elements were Citadel Station design, made as interconnected, elaborate and beautifully done dungeon, on par with Ultima Underworld and Legacy, and puzzle design.
Should we consider Cadaver an RPG too? FPS/RPG hybride was System Shock 2.
Better have a wide definition of rpgs as the only title close to a pen and paper session and qualifying this year would be divinity original sin 2.
Just look at recent roguelike craze. When every game is roguelike, no games are roguelikes. Better to have exact definition (with some leeway) than overbroad one. Calling some game not-RPG or hybride is not diminishing it, it just a question of taxonomy.
Also you forgot about Grimoire.

Mortmal

Arcane
Many rpg elements in system shock , good story,and writing, good exploration and puzzles it defines the action/rpg subgenre.
It's FPS/Adventure with RPG-elements. RPG elements were Citadel Station design, made as interconnected, elaborate and beautifully done dungeon, on par with Ultima Underworld and Legacy, and puzzle design.
Better have a wide definition of rpgs as the only title close to a pen and paper session and qualifying this year would be divinity original sin 2.
Just look at recent roguelike craze. When every game is roguelike, no games are roguelikes. Better to have exact definition (with some leeway) than overbroad one. Calling some game not-RPG or hybride is not diminishing it, it just a question of taxonomy.
Cadaver is an action adventure hybrid and a truly exceptional game on the amiga. As for grimoire, how could you call that a RPG ? its strictly combat with very few dialogues.Clearly not anything close to a pen and paper session...

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Cadaver is an action adventure hybrid and a truly exceptional game on the amiga.
But it has "good story,and writing, good exploration and puzzles"! Even NPCs in The Payoff! :M
As for grimoire, how could you call that a RPG ?
Easily. Just how I call Wizardry 7 or Wizard's Crown an RPG.
its strictly combat with very few dialogues.Clearly not anything close to a pen and paper session...
Typical PnP session starts with "so, your valiant band of misfits found a dungeon" and ends with "huge fat ork is dead, everyone gets 300 xp, you have found 50 gp, and, by the way, who ate all salami?"

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
Clearly not anything close to a pen and paper session...

You've never heard of PnP dungeon crawls?

Typical PnP session starts with "so, your valiant band of misfits found a dungeon" and ends with "huge fat ork is dead, everyone gets 300 xp, you have found 50 gp, and, by the way, who ate all salami?"

Not at all, those are primitive things of the past ,this is a pen and paper rpg :

Clearly not anything close to a pen and paper session...

You've never heard of PnP dungeon crawls?

Not at all, those are primitive things of the past ,this is a pen and paper rpg :

In Nomine Satanis/Magna Veritas is a French role-playing game, created by Croc. In Nomine Satanis ("In Satan's Name") was the Demonic player's guide and Magna Veritas ("The Great Truth") was the Angelic player's guide.

In Nomine Satanis/Magna Veritas (often abbreviated as INS/MV) was first designed by the French company Siroz, as of 2003 available in its fourth edition. The French edition of the game was stopped in 2006, with the publication of the sourcebook On Ferme ! (meaning "We close!"). The game relates the events told in the Bible in a somewhat parodical fashion, and explains the existence of other religions and magic with a sense of humor. The backdrop for the game is the modern world, but one where angels and demons incarnate themselves in human bodies in order to fight for good or evil.

The game is somewhat akin to a superhero game, with player characters (PCs) having supernatural powers (fueled by power points) and abilities usually far beyond those of a human. A typical adventure includes a lot of inquiry, detective work and roleplay, sprinkled with a few conflicts followed by a big, final showdown. PCs are supposed to keep secret the existence of supernatural entities, so, in their human guises, have a somewhat "normal" existence. This is often downplayed, however, as many players don't wish to roleplay their character's human guise of (for example) an accountant.

The system is based on a "666-sided" dice, the designers' name for three six-sided dice interpreted as follows: the first and second dice read as the tens and units, are used to determine success or failure, while the third die determines the degree of success. Modifiers are applied to the dice depending on the difficulty of the task at hand. A result of 111 counts as a critical success for angels, while 666 is a critical failures; the results are the opposite for demons.

Each character has an angelic or demonic superior, from which he gains some abilities and a general outlook, and which he can try to summon for help. They are also subject to a hierarchy to which they must report to, and which controls the characters' improvement.
:hmmm:

Also Mage: the Ascension is way better than Ars Magica.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom