Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Making progress in Soul Reaver (just killed Zephon, the arachnid vampire). It has been almost 20 years since the last time I've completed this game, so naturally I remember almost nothing. The puzzles are pretty good and there's no handholding at all. It's quite repetitive and a little tedious at times, though - and the combat is pretty shit with respawning enemies. However, the script is great, voice acting is superb and just the entire story arc is something on a different level than the vast majority of games. Worth replaying for sure.

Also, as a side note, this is probably one of the most technically impressive games on the PS1. That they've managed to do what they did with zero load times is nothing short of incredible, especially considering the hardware. Great atmosphere and soundtrack, too. I choose to play this particular game through the Beetle HW core in Retroarch, as when I originally played it was on the Dreamcast and it looked much better (also ran better). With this core, I can have perspective-correct textures, a higher resolution and no polygon wobble. Can't increase the very limited draw distance, unfortunately.

This is a decent middle ground between ok graphics, a passable framerate (overclocking the PSX core through emulation is a must in this game, otherwise you're going to spend half your time at 12fps) and perfect sound. I'm including some screenshots of the game running in the software Beetle core at the end.

lok-180127-01352803owg.png

lok-180127-155938u1qwk.png

lok-180127-160513yqqmp.png

Software (dithering, wobbly polygons and all):

lok-180126-1959155xo9d.png

lok-180126-200240eiolz.png

Thankfully, the PC version of Soul Reaver 2 is pretty much perfect (as far as I know) and I won't have to resort to emulation. Looking forward to it.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Gonna finish Deyoose Ehks: Visible War and later on Teef Triple: Lethal Lack-of-Light
speaking of teef tree:

PorkBarrellGuy

Finished IWD2, going back to fucking around in Grim Dawn and F:NV for a bit while I figure out what I really want to do next.

PorkBarrellGuy

Just beat BG:EE. Now playing its expansion, Siege of Dragonspear.
"Hi! I am a tranny!"
- scintillating dialogue from Siege of Dragonspear

You can kill s/h/it for ecks pees and absolutely zero rep hit, which is funny as fuck.

Torchlight 2
Playing as embermage and it seems alot easier game then when i played as outlander.

Embermage and Engineer are the two strong classes in TL2. Outlander is alright, and Berserker is the redheaded stepkid. Prismatic Bolt Embermage is retardedly easy to play, in particular.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Subnautica.

Played through it and did some extra stuff (saving sunbeam) and now there's really nothing left to do. It lacks any really deep or interesting systems to keep me playing.
'bout 30 hours worth of gameplay for me, but I did know mostly what I was doing from playing it in early access, so I guess 40-50 for most players?

Jason Liang

Arcane
Question to people who have played both:

Is New Vegas better than Arx Fatalis? I'm lookng at Arx Fatalis screenshots and it looks like New Vegas with magic spells.

UPDATE: OK nevermind. I decided I want to try a game with the Dark Eye rpg system. I'm a newbie so which one should I start with, Realms of Arkania, Drakensaang or Blackguards?

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane

Is New Vegas better than Arx Fatalis? I'm lookng at Arx Fatalis screenshots and it looks like New Vegas with magic spells.

UPDATE: OK nevermind. I decided I want to try a game with the Dark Eye rpg system. I'm a newbie so which one should I start with, Realms of Arkania, Drakensaang or Blackguards?
Realms of Arkania, but be prepared to cry if you want to make a decent starting character in Blades. The interface is... VERY old school.

Finished Soul Reaver, onward with my Nosgoth trip with Soul Reaver 2. I've just started, but so far it's been great. Thankfully, I don't have to resort to emulation as the GOG PC version seems to work perfectly.

It's a pretty big jump, graphically, from Soul Reaver 1.

sr2vaqfa.jpg

Cael

Arcane
OK. This is weird. I have been replaying Fallout Tactics using a bunch of sneakers with rifles and shotguns. Just completed the Springfield mission, but my reputation dropped from Shield of Hope to Betrayer. I couldn't pinpoint where, but it happened in that mission.

Anyone has any clues how that came about?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
OK. This is weird. I have been replaying Fallout Tactics using a bunch of sneakers with rifles and shotguns. Just completed the Springfield mission, but my reputation dropped from Shield of Hope to Betrayer. I couldn't pinpoint where, but it happened in that mission.

I briefly skimmed a walkthrough. Towards the end there's a villain who's supposed to give some kind of speech before attacking you, did that happen or did you pick him off from a distance?

Usually such a drastic drop in reputation arises from innocents getting killed, but keep in mind that the game is massively bugged.

Dux

Arcane
"The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it;
the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it.
When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee,
beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate,
but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee."

:5/5:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Realms of Arkania HD.

kris

Arcane
Back to playing Warband and the game of thrones mod. Maybe, just maybe I should have checked if it was updated before I started playing :butthurt:

Cael

Arcane

I briefly skimmed a walkthrough. Towards the end there's a villain who's supposed to give some kind of speech before attacking you, did that happen or did you pick him off from a distance?

Usually such a drastic drop in reputation arises from innocents getting killed, but keep in mind that the game is massively bugged.
That must be it. I started the final fight this time by sniping one of the bad guys and the chief nutjob didn't make his speech until all but one of his cohorts are already dead.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Finished Inside a platformer/puzzle game similar to the developer's previous game Limbo.Just like Limbo you are a young boy trying to escape a dark bleak world and like Limbo this is a sweet but short game,graphics,gameplay and what little sound there is are good but I finished it in 3 hours so unless you want to go for a replay to find all the secrets and unlock the alternate ending you wont get much replayability. All in all a good game but you should probably get in in a sale

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Aliens Versus Predator

:shredder:

The AI is rather stupid at times, though.

And the voice acting is annoying.

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
And the voice acting is annoying.
^Did you switch from shitty LARPing voices of the staff to the vanilla ones?

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/screenshot-thread.72409/page-449#post-3477944

@Topic:

Still dealing with Valkyria Chronicles 2, since...November? Fantastic japtactical game. :salute:

But recently I've tried something else, that is an interesting 'vania with strong puzzle component:

Liking it so far, plus reviews are encouraging:

OK, SIT YOUR ASS DOWN, STRAP YOURSELF IN, I'MA TELL YOU ABOUT ROBIN! NO, I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT THAT LITTLE GUY IN THE SPANDEX. MY GIRL ROBIN GOES KILL ROBOTS WITH A MOTHERFUCKING STUN GUN, IT'S LITERALLY THE FIRST THING YOU DO IN THE GAME. THEN SHE LIES TO SCARY GOVERNMENT AGENTS, BECAUSE FUCK DA POLICE, THEN YOU GO GALLIVANTING AROUND THE WORLD WACKING SHIT WITH YOUR GIANT GOLDEN WRENCH!
NOTHING CAN KILL THIS GIRL. YOU GET BLOWN UP, STOMPED ON, BURIED ALIVE AND THROWN IN JAIL TWICE AND YOU JUST COME BACK FOR MORE! ROBIN GOES ON A ONE-WOMAN QUEST TO FUCK SHIT UP, ALL OF THE SHIT, BECAUSE THE GOVERNMENT WOULDN'T LET HER BE AN ENGINEER! YOU GO GIRL!
THE STORY IN THIS IS SO OFF THE WALLS THAT I DON'T EVEN WANT TO COMMENT ON IT, YOU JUST HAVE TO EXPERIENCE THIS TRIP OF SHEER MADNESS FOR YOURSELF. LET ME JUST SAY YOU WON'T EVER THINK ABOUT WHITE STUFF COMING OUT OF PEOPLE'S BODIES THE SAME EVER AGAIN! ALSO PREPARE TO HATE THE COLORS BLUE AND PURPLE AND BRING OUT THE TISSUES WHENEVER ELRO IS ON SCREEN. IF THERE IS ANYONE WHO APPROACHES ROBIN'S LEVEL OF BADASSERY IT'S HER BROTHER ELRO. ALSO THERE'S WHITEHAIRED MAGES, PIRATE GIRLS WITH BODY ODOR ISSUES AND AN OVERPHILOSOPHIZING SEA CAPTAIN.
WHAT'RE YOU STILL READING THIS FOR, JUST FUCKING BUY THIS MASTERPIECE ALREADY!

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Finished Inside a platformer/puzzle game similar to the developer's previous game Limbo.Just like Limbo you are a young boy trying to escape a dark bleak world and like Limbo this is a sweet but short game,graphics,gameplay and what little sound there is are good but I finished it in 3 hours so unless you want to go for a replay to find all the secrets and unlock the alternate ending you wont get much replayability. All in all a good game but you should probably get in in a sale

Great game. But short. I finished it in three hours.

Baron Dupek

Arcane

I know you already pick something else but whatever - yes, FNV is better than Arx, despite being different games.
Arx is good if you crave exploration a'la Ultima Underworld. It have some flaws and problems. It's still worth playing (with mandatory Arx Libertatis patch).

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Im not playing. Im trying to get this mofo new build to farking install win 7 on an SSD! FAaaaackkk fack fack

Sent from my SM-A320F using Tapatalk

Cael

Arcane
Fallout Tactics :argh:

*creeps up to 3 guys hiding behind a barricade*
*get detected and shot by an AK47 on full auto*
*fires back with a SHOTGUN from a range of about 5*
*MISSES*
I can imagine the conversation after that.
"WTF? Miss???"
"Yep."
"This is a SHOTGUN! I was at point blank! I had 95% chance to hit!"
"You missed."
"BULLSHIT!"
"More or less. Yeah."
"Fuck this!"
*flips to full auto and pulls trigger*
*all three bad guys do the dance of death with guts flying everywhere*

:argh::argh::argh:

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Rise of the Tomb Raider. I'm actually enjoying it a lot more than I thought and the story, while nothing super-special, is definitely driving me on. The AI awareness to stealth tactics seems to vary wildly. Sometimes I feel practically invisible, then other time it's like they can fucking smell me from a mile away. It's a little strange. The gameplay is standard third person fare but done very well so no complaints.

It's not the Tomb Raider I knew and loved but it's pretty fun, and I'm glad Lara isn't just fading away like it seemed she had.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom