Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Brancaleone

Liturgist
The bow is a peasant’s weapon. The English war bow required immense strength to use. Ergo, 14th century English peasants were plenty strong.

A self-made crude bow can be a peasant weapon, yes. Innumerable other types of bow, including military longbow, no. Many English longbows were made of Italian or Spanish yew (English yew was not that good for bows in comparison), which was imported and pretty expensive, plus high-poundage longbow required training from young age, to the point that logbowmen tended to develop bone spurs for added attach-surface of the specialized muscles.

Ergo, any malnourished 14th century peasant had very little to do with battlefield longbowmen.

Last edited:

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
I think Dr. Tobias Capwell has said quite a lot on longbows/longbowmen, their effectiveness or lack thereof in some instances and actual battlefield tactics/employment etc... Never got around to watching his videos in-depth though.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Anyway, the 1h+shield combat looks rather bizarre. More like showfighting with it's 5-6 angles of attack and wide swings and whatnot.
With plate armor/coat of plates/brigandines and plate-based protection of the limbs in the game, I hope there'll be a good number of two-handed weapons... It's already strange that 2 fully armored guys go at each other with swords in a regular grip meant for unarmored fighting.

I gave Vavra my money because he seems like a good dude, but was hoping he'd push the envelope a bit more in terms of the fighting tbh. Banging on people's helmets with the blade of your arming sword until they get bored and surrender or keel over from the noise looks silly. You can already do that in m&b etc.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Anyway, the 1h+shield combat looks rather bizarre. More like showfighting with it's 5-6 angles of attack and wide swings and whatnot.
With plate armor/coat of plates/brigandines and plate-based protection of the limbs in the game, I hope there'll be a good number of two-handed weapons... It's already strange that 2 fully armored guys go at each other with swords in a regular grip meant for unarmored fighting.

I gave Vavra my money because he seems like a good dude, but was hoping he'd push the envelope a bit more in terms of the fighting tbh. Banging on people's helmets with the blade of your arming sword until they get bored and surrender or keel over from the noise looks silly. You can already do that in m&b etc.

Have you ever read any average comment on their Youtube channel or under any mainstream article about KCD? Truckload of people are already worried the combat is too complex and "clunky". Your typical konsole market doesn't want realism, they want something "smooth" and "non-clunky" - translation: mindless, frenzied button mashing.

KCD is not an indie game, it's cost many millions of dorra, it can't afford to lose konsoletards. Can you imagine being in Vavra's shoes and trying to find a compromise between something smart and complex and something that the xboxers and playstationistas would enjoy?

Zer0wing

Cipher
KCD is not an indie game, it's cost many millions of dorra, it can't afford to lose konsoletards. Can you imagine being in Vavra's shoes and trying to find a compromise between something smart and complex and something that the xboxers and playstationistas would enjoy?
Swinging sticks instead of mouse to various directions for attack and blocking is not something very complex and impossiboru even for a consoletards. I'd be more concern about hourse-mounted combat.

Anyway, stumbled upon a 2016 beta, is it still any good and representative of what this game will be about?

Althorion

Learned
Can you imagine being in Vavra's shoes and trying to find a compromise between something smart and complex and something that the xboxers and playstationistas would enjoy?
Yeah. Market it as a Japanese-inspired wanna-be-Dark-Souls and people will love it.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Swinging sticks instead of mouse to various directions for attack and blocking is not something very complex and impossiboru even for a consoletards. I'd be more concern about hourse-mounted combat.

Anyway, stumbled upon a 2016 beta, is it still any good and representative of what this game will be about?

We can talk about how easy the combat is once the game is out.

And the so called beta is in fact just a pre-alpha tech demo.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
From wikipea about english longbow:

Estimates for the draw of these bows varies considerably. Before the recovery of the Mary Rose, Count M. Mildmay Stayner, Recorder of the British Long Bow Society, estimated the bows of the Medieval period drew 90–110 pounds-force (400–490 newtons), maximum, and Mr. W.F. Paterson, Chairman of the Society of Archer-Antiquaries, believed the weapon had a supreme draw weight of only 80–90 lbf (360–400 N).[2] Other sources suggest significantly higher draw weights. The original draw forces of examples from the Mary Rose are estimated by Robert Hardyat 150–160 lbf (670–710 N) at a 30-inch (76.2 cm) draw length; the full range of draw weights was between 100–185 lbf (440–820 N).[9] The 30-inch (76.2 cm) draw length was used because that is the length allowed by the arrows commonly found on the Mary Rose.

A modern longbow's draw is typically 60 lbf (270 N) or less, and by modern convention measured at 28 inches (71.1 cm). Historically, hunting bows usually had draw weights of 50–60 lbf (220–270 N), which is enough for all but the very largest game and which most reasonably fit adults can manage with practice. Today, there are few modern longbowmen capable of using 180–185 lbf (800–820 N) bows accurately.

You try to pull longbow with 100-185lb, afaik it requires so much strength that modern archers can't pull them.

Edit: without training and a lot of working out.
It's only that much draw weight at the end of the draw, right?
You can get strong enough to do this if you train with more and more draw weight over time, it's basically not too different from normal strength training, it's just that not many people today do that.
It's also only one exercise basically, that makes it much easier to get good at, hence the ability of people in the past to do this (presumably).
200-220 lb draw weights that I see quoted sometimes seem impractical for warbows though, unless the archers got a chance to warm up with less draw weight before a battle/shorter pulls.
If you try to draw that much cold, esp if the weather is also cold you may suffer tendon issues unless it's well below your max.
And of course firing 20+ arrows in succession would be a stretch in a short timeframe if it's close to your max pull.

Can't imagine them getting enough archers together if the draw weight is too high in general over a common distance either... Genetics matter a lot there.
If hunting bows commonly had less draw weight then it's especially odd. Not like your average serf/hunter could just practice with his warbow on the side all day, every day.

True, but my father does archery and based on what he knows about archery and shooting bows, he says that it probably already requires a lot of strength to pull those kind of old bows to start training, as they didn't have any kind of aids in the bows itself, like modern bows do. On average, I imagine a lot of people during that time were stronger and hardier than people on modern times, because they did a LOT more physical labor than your average modern person.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist

Have you ever read any average comment on their Youtube channel or under any mainstream article about KCD? Truckload of people are already worried the combat is too complex and "clunky". Your typical konsole market doesn't want realism, they want something "smooth" and "non-clunky" - translation: mindless, frenzied button mashing.

I get what you mean, but I actually *think* there might be a way to make combat much more smooth and non-clunky and also more realistic.

Warning long post ahead...

So normally, rather than swing weirdly like in the kcd vids you'd cut to the longpoint without winding up a swing etc. The way combat works in M&B and this one involves a very telegraphed windup (hold button and move analog stick or mouse in a direction to raise the sword/weapon there, release button to swing from there) and a delay before the attack happens.
In order to block you usually need to press the right mouse button or controller equivalent, and in some cases you need to block in the direction of the swing (depending on game/setting).
Thing is, you don't really control the blade via mouse movement and the striking animations and blocking animations are fixed basically. Only mouse control of the blade is general point of aim (middle of the swing or thrust) and cardinal direction (or 5 directions in kcd) from where to swing or where to block, but no really direct control.

My idea would be (obv. take it with a big grain of salt) to instead do the following:

1)Stance would be much more forward and aggressive of course, the weird upright stance in kcd makes no sense, restricts reach etc.
You would hold the blade towards the enemy instead of upwards at your side, with arms somewhat bent so you can thrust or cut without drawing back first.

2)You control your blade movement directly with the mouse for the purpose of deflecting blows (no straight up blocking, interfere with the opponent's blade properly) with no button press required. If the enemy blade is to your right, you keep your blade close to it between him and you, on the inside for example. If you blade is too far from his and he swings full force of course yours may get pushed out of the way, so you need to keep yours close to his or directly push against his if necessary.
This is all just mouse movement.
The blade moves independently from your view, at least in combat. Either the game has lock-on (consoles) to take care of the general view direction, or you can have a system like in Dark Messiah of Might and Magic or... Arma? idk. where you have to move your weapon somewhat to the edge of the screen to change your view. This is so that you don't spastically turn around all the time along with your blade (see m&b awlpike fights in multiplayer lol...) and so that you can actually see what your enemy is doing with his blade relative to you and so that you can accurately judge distances between blades/objects.
You always see where the enemy blade is so you know what attack(s) he can do and from where. If his blade is aimed directly at you, it's gonna be a thrust unless he wants to move it etc.

3)In order to attack there are 2 ways to make it work I think, depending on whether you have a mouse or a controller, as well as lock-on (could have lock-on on pc as well if you really want).
If you use a lock-on system then that locks you onto the longpoint automatically for cuts etc.
In order to cut the opponent from the right, move your blade to the right of the longpoint via mouse/analog stick (again, no button pressed first) just a bit, as much as you'd do for a real cut (i.e. not much at all, you don't want to leave yourself open). Now press button one and you will execute a swift cut to the longpoint.

Secondary button can be thrust (you just position your blade where you want to thrust at, so it won't auto go towards the longpoint in that case), and mouse wheel may switch to half-swording for thrusts and half-swording for poor-man's-pollaxe/murderstroke as appropriate (or you use key on the keyboard perhaps).

If you don't use a lock-on system (or even a soft lock-on where attacks are directed towards the enemy with imaginary longpoint but no hard view lockon) or if you have a mouse that can move the blade faster on it's own then it may be better to let attacks happen simply by mouse-movement (again, view only changes if you move mouse towards the edge far enough, so that you don't turn around like crazy). You'd imagine the longpoint yourself and cut towards it manually.
Thrusts would still be on a button though etc as above, just not cuts which are done by mouse movement. RMB could then be something else, like moving hands overhead with the point still forward.

Shift or some controller equivalent would boost you forward in a lunge or some such (I don't know what the right word is), maybe with the forward button together, or just on it's own idk. You hit that together with a thrust or even a cut to increase the power a lot.

4) For a pollaxe and short halberd on the otherhand what you would do is: Normally you have the pointed lower end and left arm forward and the head at your shoulder in reality.

So you would go: Primary button is a thrust with the spike at the bottom of the shaft. You also use the bottom of the shaft to deflect blows, like a swordblade, but held differently. Secondary button is a blow with the hammer head (or axe head if halberd. If you have both on one weapon, use a button to switch which one attacks). So you distract the enemies' weapon with the shaft, and when it's out of the way try for a blow at the helmet, or hit the left shoulder a lot. Positioning and footwork would be a factor here for the swing as it'd be fixed length.
Mouse wheel can be switch mode to move the head forward. Then you can use it like a short halberd instead. Or use keyboard key.
If you go head-forward, what you can do now is cut with axe blade or strike with hammer just as with the longsword above, or thrust with the headspike... And use a rear spike if you have one or axe blade inner point (towards you) to hook an enemy.

Primary button would be thrust with the head-mounted spike (remember, lunge/boost button+forward button should be used with this and all other direct attacks if possible), you hook him by thrusting past him and keeping the weapon extended (keep primary button pressed), then moving it into position.
Now there's a few ways the actual tripping/pulling could be done... Either just releasing the primary button forcefully pulls the weapon towards you if you kept it pressed before rather than just hitting it quickly, or the secondary button would do the forceful retraction. Alternatively you could keep the weapon extended and use the boost button (shift or whatever) together with the move back button/analog stick to move your entire body back fast.

Either way, if your enemy does not boost himself forward into you he would be tripped or end up stumbling or even falling.
Shaking off a hook like that is also possible by forward boost if he is fast enough, and of course he can just deflect the weapon... Or lunge into you and grapple or thrust into weakpoint/hit your head with pollaxe (dep. on distance)/push you out of the way and make you stumble instead while you are trying to move your weapon past him to hook him. As would be the normal response in reality.

Using the head attack (secondary button) when you're shaft forward rather than head forward could maybe also automatically switch you to head forward posture for quick followups? Maybe make a setting in the options menu for this idk.

5) Longer Halberds, billhooks and such can hook the same way as a pollaxe/short halberd but at longer range obv.

They would normally be held head forward, right shoulder/arm forward.

No over-the-shoulder attack and no attack with the bottom end of the shaft normally, too long!
Mouse wheel thus doesn't switch stance but instead adjusts how far from the head you grip the shaft, so you can adjust to close attackers. Have to be careful with the shaft though, it can bump into stuff obv. Then again, you could switch between a shaft high and shaft low stance for some polearms, maybe a different key. Not super important but the option is nice. Avoid bumping into the ground with the shaft when gripping close to it if in high stance basically, or do thrusts from above that way...
Striks/cuts are normal fare just as with the sword or head-forward pollaxe/short halberd stance.
If cavalry is in game, maybe automated bracing of the shaft against the ground if you crouch.

6) If you have a shield, then your blade(or mace or whatever) and shield would move together (as there aren't any huge tower shields used in normal combat, no big roman shields obv that can't move as well) during the later periods iirc. Easy to do it just like the real thing, same principle as above with longsword example I think. Sword would move in a semi-circle around it's side of the shield, depending on shield size/design. Shield would trail behind a bit on movement, the further towards the edge of the screen you have the sword the larger the distance from the shield, but the shield moves as well and isn't static... Just doesn't move as much towards the sword side. Or something like that, you get the idea.
Spear would be easier with shield because you just thrust pretty much. Some spear designs allow for some cutting, maybe, and would be used more like the sword (mousewheel controls where you grip it then).

Sorry for the long post, but I hope I was able to describe this properly. Wish I had the programming/animating/modeling/texturing chops to make a demo out of this... Maybe I should waste less time on shit games and make it happen haha
Really surprised that no one has tried something like this though. Maybe because HEMA was totally unknown until recently and still kind of is.
Die By The Sword tried to have you swing the sword around via joystick or keyboard keys but it was trash tier implementation and idk if you could even thrust. No lunging either etc.

Advantage of this way of doing things: Faster and more fluid and you can make attacks fast with no exaggerated drawing back of the weapon or exaggeratedly long swings with long recovery times because the player can react fast and easy and bind/control your blade etc. It'd look a lot less silly, too.
Less dark souls and more fencing.
Ideally armor would work properly too, so that you'd actually have to either get through uncovered/weak areas (armpits, visor slits etc) or do something like the hammer blow to the side of the helmet like with a pollaxe. Unarmored fighting would be very different from armored fighting then.

Edit: Just realized, but if you don't like the deflecting enemy blade via your own, you could keep the old "secondary button parries/blocks" scheme... And now for thrusts/cuts you make blade position the main thing. Primary button = attack with thrust if weapon is aimed directly at somewhere on the enemy model, cut towards model if it's aimed at air to the side/above/below the model I guess. That way only one button is needed for attacks.
May work better for consoles.
Still no holding the button to hold a blow/draw back. Just move blade on your own and then press button to attack.
Only held blows would be the ones from pollaxe or short halberd or some such that come from your shoulder if you are in shaft forward stance, but those are basically almost always held at the ready anyway unless you are currently in an attack with the shaft-spike. So no need to hold button there either.

Edit 2: Grappling? Don't know for sure how to implement that, maybe if you barrel into the enemy you can switch to dagger/halfsword thrust grip but IDK. how to do the actual fighting then with direct control like above... Dagger into armpit/eyeslit -awesome button could work but that would break the above principle of being able to defend against it because you always know where the enemy blade is and can move yours accordingly. Not sure. Maybe just not necessary to have at all, idk.

Last edited:

Ezeekiel

Liturgist

Estimates for the draw of these bows varies considerably. Before the recovery of the Mary Rose, Count M. Mildmay Stayner, Recorder of the British Long Bow Society, estimated the bows of the Medieval period drew 90–110 pounds-force (400–490 newtons), maximum, and Mr. W.F. Paterson, Chairman of the Society of Archer-Antiquaries, believed the weapon had a supreme draw weight of only 80–90 lbf (360–400 N).[2] Other sources suggest significantly higher draw weights. The original draw forces of examples from the Mary Rose are estimated by Robert Hardyat 150–160 lbf (670–710 N) at a 30-inch (76.2 cm) draw length; the full range of draw weights was between 100–185 lbf (440–820 N).[9] The 30-inch (76.2 cm) draw length was used because that is the length allowed by the arrows commonly found on the Mary Rose.

A modern longbow's draw is typically 60 lbf (270 N) or less, and by modern convention measured at 28 inches (71.1 cm). Historically, hunting bows usually had draw weights of 50–60 lbf (220–270 N), which is enough for all but the very largest game and which most reasonably fit adults can manage with practice. Today, there are few modern longbowmen capable of using 180–185 lbf (800–820 N) bows accurately.

You try to pull longbow with 100-185lb, afaik it requires so much strength that modern archers can't pull them.

You can get strong enough to do this if you train with more and more draw weight over time, it's basically not too different from normal strength training, it's just that not many people today do that.
It's also only one exercise basically, that makes it much easier to get good at, hence the ability of people in the past to do this (presumably).
200-220 lb draw weights that I see quoted sometimes seem impractical for warbows though, unless the archers got a chance to warm up with less draw weight before a battle/shorter pulls.
If you try to draw that much cold, esp if the weather is also cold you may suffer tendon issues unless it's well below your max.
And of course firing 20+ arrows in succession would be a stretch in a short timeframe if it's close to your max pull.

Can't imagine them getting enough archers together if the draw weight is too high in general over a common distance either... Genetics matter a lot there.
If hunting bows commonly had less draw weight then it's especially odd. Not like your average serf/hunter could just practice with his warbow on the side all day, every day.

True, but my father does archery and based on what he knows about archery and shooting bows, he says that it probably already requires a lot of strength to pull those kind of old bows to start training, as they didn't have any kind of aids in the bows itself, like modern bows do. On average, I imagine a lot of people during that time were stronger and hardier than people on modern times, because they did a LOT more physical labor than your average modern person.
I don't know enough about archery so I don't want to lean myself out of the window too much, but I always thought they just used different types of strings/different size bows to train up on or something.
The draw is so different from most normal stuff they'd do, I can only think of sawing trees/wood planks with a 2-person saw (whatever you call those) as vaguely similar.

Maybe there's some manual for bow training from the time, kind of like we have the fencing treatises? Then again, if it was mostly peasants using bows I guess not if they couldn't necessarily read the material haha

What sort of draw-weights does your dad work with?

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

I don't know enough about archery so I don't want to lean myself out of the window too much, but I always thought they just used different types of strings/different size bows to train up on or something.
The draw is so different from most normal stuff they'd do, I can only think of sawing trees/wood planks with a 2-person saw (whatever you call those) as vaguely similar.

Maybe there's some manual for bow training from the time, kind of like we have the fencing treatises? Then again, if it was mostly peasants using bows I guess not if they couldn't necessarily read the material haha

What sort of draw-weights does your dad work with?

40 pounder, he's already retired so they use a bit lighter bows than younger ones (I think).

jungl

Augur
lol doing physical labor all day doesnt make you strong. Anyone that worked such job and lifts progressively and not like a dumbass normie knows that the labor job really just gets in the way and only thing you get out of it is some conditioning and whatever money.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
What in the fucking Christ are you talking about. Prisoners at Auschwitz worked hard, back breaking labor. Would you like to see some pictures about how ripped they were?

There's also plenty of underdeveloped countries in the world where people work on farms using medieval-grade tools. Again, do you want to see pictures of those natural warriors?

There's many different ways to become strong. Physical work for 7 days a week while undereating, is not one of them.
Where are you getting the idea that medieval peasants were all malnourished slave laborers? Sure, they were typically protein deficient, but in places where the peasantry was treated halfway decently—England, parts of Italy, and parts of the Holy Roman Empire (including, especially Bohemia) commoners were reasonably well fed. And they had plenty of dairy, just not much meat. Backbreaking labor + adequate diet = stronk.

Plus, after the Black Death wiped out a third of the labor force, the remaining peasants had it pretty good even in horrible places like France. There was a massive increase in wages over the course of the 1300s because there just weren’t enough people to do all the work.

English free peasants—better than serfs but worse than everyone else—were mandated by law to practice regularly with the war bow. You can’t use a war bow if you’re an emaciated wreck; you need to be very fucking strong.

The poorest parts of modern Africa are a terrible analogy. Modern African famine is not a product of Iron Age farming implements or climate, it’s a product of state failure and rapacious warlords who are far less benign than medieval European warlords because they have no incentive to take care of their people long term.

A baron knew his kids would inherit, he needed to leave them a viable workforce. Also his peasants would be his levies in times of war; his life might depend on them being healthy enough to wield a spear. And when peasants starve for too long they tend to kill (and eat!) their overlords—witness the Jacquerie.

If there was a famine, some would starve and the rest would get pretty lean, but famine was not that common.

Somalia is incredibly fertile, but it’s been a failed state for decades, so no one gets to keep their own produce. Read PJ O’Rourke’s “Holidays in Hell.” Somali warlords have no idea how long they’ll last; their incentive is to loot the land as much as possible as fast as possible. And obviously a concentration camp is nothing like a medieval manor—the Nazis neither needed nor wanted any of the inmates to live. Their actual Slavic slave labor force was treated much better and adequately fed until ‘44 when supplies started getting scarce.

In summation: you, sir, are talking out of your ass.

:deathclaw:

Christ Almighty, when was the last time you did any sort of physical labor? Never mind that, did you ever? Or are you just conjuring muscle building theories on a video game forum, while your nan brings you another pack of Doritos?

Swinging with a farming tool never made anyone strong. All it does is build resistance and makes people able to swing the tool all day long. Working for many hours a day with low-weight repetitions doesn't bring strength, the word you're looking for is stamina. And this is true in modern Ethiopia, medieval England, ancient Rome, and everywhere else in between. The only exception are people who actually had to handle heavy stuff on regular basis.

Blacksmith would be strong. A guy who swings a scythe and plows a field would not, even if he was governed by your Disneyland version of medieval lord.

Secondly, you're confusing malnutrition with famine. Famines weren't that common, but food shortages that led to malnutrition were occurring on regular basis. Most of the shortages simply weren't bad enough that it would lead to widespread starvation. But that doesn't mean everything was just fucking dandy and everyone had excellent diet.

Even in the modern era the poorest people in civilized countries are often under-eating. Hell, the entirety Europe was suffering from widespread malnutrition for over 10 years following the fallout of WW2, and that's despite removing 60 million mouths from the evolutionary table. Meanwhile, you're spinning some wild fantasy tales about entire continent of well-fed peasant bodybuilders, under the tender loving care of their benevolent lord. :roll:

Please get off the internet and stop wasting space on the server with your nonsensical opinions.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Well, naturally it depends what kind of physical labor, but I doubt they were doing just one job/activity every day. They had to plow the field, carry shit around, build shit, etc. I did a bit of googling, but it's not really easy to say were people back in medieval times stronger or not, as the only things left are bones (naturally).

Most modern people are pretty damn sedentary, especially those who live in the cities, so they don't even develop muscles unless they actively exercise. Would be interesting to get to eat the food what the lower classes actually ate during the medieval times, it certainly can't be any worse than the modern junk food like hamburgers and shit for your health :D

Paul_cz

Arcane
Jesus Christ that foliage

DUjpWLtU8AA8JvH.jpg:large

jungl

Augur
Well strength not really important at all in medieval fighting lol I brought it up to troll. medieval person would murder the shit out a modern one in combat due to all that day to day conditioning and familiarity with using hands on tools way more. Fighting with melee weapons is actually very technical and the hilarious thing about it all the internet dweebs that fancy this topic would be horribly inept in it just like they were in high school sports.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Strength is important for grappling and hooking/controlling the foe and drawing back a bow with a high draw weight, power production matters for thrusts, cuts/strikes, fast footwork etc. Mixture of both for various violent throws esp. against armored opponents (= notably heavier than they'd be without armor).

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
lol doing physical labor all day doesnt make you strong.

It actually does. You just don't get very bulky but size =! strength. That's pretty much common sense, you don't even need to train to know that.

This argument is redundant because medieval armies were composed of professionals. Even when peasants were recruited they would usually get trained and most of them would end up accumulating battle experience and many of them would become professional soldiers in the first place. You hear "peasant" and you think some guy was plowing a field one day and going to battle the next but that's not how it happened. Also, mercenaries is what medieval lords used the most to supply their ranks, not peasants.

I mean good god have you guys ever read an history book on this subject.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Jesus Christ that foliage

DUjpWLtU8AA8JvH.jpg:large
Their latest gameplay videos don't look half as good. Seems that the game suffered a lot of gfx downgrading up to release.

Like i said, maybe those gameplay videos were on console. It would be good to know because the distance drawing was terribad in those videos. Items popping up as you move along shouldn't happen on a good PC at max setting, which is what you'd expect from a promo, but i assume it's going to be inevitable on consoles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom