Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fighting Game Recommendation

jolene

Literate
I was feeling a little nostalgic after seeing a post about arcade sticks, the type that are on the old-school arcade machines from decades ago.

I immediately went out to get the Mayflash F500, so now I'm looking for other great fighting games that I can play. I'd prefer a PC game, but I can work with a PS4 game as well. I already Have Mortal Kombat X at the moment, but I haven't tried to see if it's compatible.

Thanks!

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
There's a lot of gems, classics and news:

- Street fighter V
- King of Fighters XIV
- Tekken 7
- Injustice 2
- Guilty gear xrd
- Killer instinct (2013)
- Dragon ball Fighters

And if you wait a while you can get that announced Street fighter collection, with Turbo, Third strike an Alpha 3 with online modes in all plataforms. About classics, you can play everything you want on PC. I recommend you Capcom vs Snk 2 on the PS2 emulator.

Mortal Kombat - anything but MK4 is ok
Street Fighter - avoid the first one, focus on 2 and 3 subseries, MvC2 and SvC2 are best of crossovers
Tekken - 3 + 5DR + TTT2 is enough
Virtua Fighter - you can't go wrong with any game of this franchise but focus on 2 and 5
King of Fighters - all of them good but focus on '96/'98/'02/XI
Art of Fighting - 3 is good
War Gods - it's MK4 done right
Kizuna Encounter
Savage Reign
Aggressors of Dark Kombat
Samurai Shodown - all of them
Fatal Fury / Garou - just avoid 3D ones
Soul Calibur - 2 made rest obsolete
Killer Instinct - 1 and 2 arcade ports + KI remake
SNK vs Capcom Chaos
Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3
Smash Bros 64
FX Fighter (+Turbo)
Xenophage
Pray For Death
Bloody Roar 2
Rival Schools: United By Fate + Project Justice
Capital Punishment
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Tournament Fighter (NES>>SNES>>>Genesis, three different games under the same name)
Persona 4 Arena
Last Bronx
Fighting Vipers 1&2
Fighting Megamix

Jason Liang

Arcane
My ranking of the 2-D SNK/ Eolith/ Playmore fighting games, assuming you can stomach 16-bit graphics:

1. KoF XIII - the most beautiful looking of the KoF series (XIV looks like shit even if I've become used to it). At pro levels the game is broken but it's more than fine at casual levels
2. Garou - Mark of the Wolves - beautifully animated, back to basics 1v1 fighting game, SNK basically remaking SF2.
3. The Last Blade 2 - Almost as beautifully animated as Garou with a cool setting and characters
4. The Last Blade - Just as good as the sequel
5. KoF '98 Ultimate Match - the original classic that's still played in arcades in Asia. The first of the three KoF "dream fight" games, i.e. every four games SNK released a special game with all the fighters from the previous three games - this is basically the SF2: World Champion Edition of KoF
6. KoF 2002 Unlimited Match - the second "dream fight" title, and the one that's most well known in the US although this current version has seriously nerfed Athena, May Lee and Angel, which is NOT the true 2002 experience. So use a ROM emulator if you want the original arcade version. While 2002 is not as "classic" as '98, it has several new fan-favorite characters that '98 was missing including Kula and Vanessa. And as previously mentioned, the most insane version of Athena ever. Unfortunately the arcade version is the ONLY KoF without King, WTF.
7. KoF XIV - The latest title, probably a better mechanically designed fighter game than XIII, and has a ton of new characters but you have to get used to the garish 3-D character models
8. Samurai Showdown IV - For me this was the peak of the Samurai Showdown games but you could make an argument for III. Samurai Showdown is probably the most "fun" SNK fighting game series with absurd character designs and weapons
9. KoF XI - I've never played XI so I can't really compare it to XIII but it's basically the prototype of XIII and the last KoF game using the original sprites. Note that the original version doesn't have Andy, Mai, Joe, Leona, Robert, and Chang (wtf!), so the PS2 version is preferred since at least it restores Mai and Robert. PS2 version also has Hotaru from Garou which is awesome.
10. KoF 2001 - This one is significantly different from 2002 in that it uses a completely unique "striker" system, giving you 4 characters that you can either play as or serve as power-ups in other words you can choose to use 1, 2, 3 or 4 characters, and it has several interesting characters that didn't make it into 2002 including waifus Foxy and Li Xiangfei. 2001 is also the first game where Kula appears as an "official" character (she was a secret character in 2000); KoF would never be the same.
11. Samurai Showdown III - Like IV but less inspired and with less cool characters
12. Fatal Fury Special - The definitive Fatal Fury game, with the characteristic FF two-plane fighting mechanic and 1v1 (as opposed to KoF)
13. KoF '96 - The first "fully matured" KoF since it has the full Iori team (Iori, Mature and Vice), first game with Leona, AND Kasumi Todoh, who was missing from the original arcade '98. KoF without Iori and Leona is like SF without Chun Li. It also feels different than '97 or '98 since Chizuru isn't playable, which is pretty nice
14. KoF '97 - has an extremely epic feel since it's the conclusion of the original storyline, but on the other hand doesn't have many advantages over '98; '97 however is one of the most satisfying games in the series to beat in single player (more satisfying than '96 or '98)
15. KoF 2003 - The last of the KoF games that runs on MAME emulation, it has better graphics than 2002 and is the first iteration of the new storyline characters Ash, Duo Lon and Shen Woo. But um, balance issues, even worse than arcade 2002- Duo Lon is seriously broken in this one.
16. KoF '94 - '94 is an interesting playthrough since you cannot edit the teams. IE If you play with the Japan team, you MUST use Kyo, Benimaru and Daimon, which is an interesting experience
17. Samurai Showdown 2 - an early classic and it has some iconic characters that have never returned like Earthquake
18. KoF '95 - This is a more polished version of '94 that also allows you to select your own team members, but ironically that makes it less interesting than '94. Note that characters were completely rebalanced, King is AMAZING in '95.

Last edited:
I was feeling a little nostalgic after seeing a post about arcade sticks, the type that are on the old-school arcade machines from decades ago.

I immediately went out to get the Mayflash F500, so now I'm looking for other great fighting games that I can play. I'd prefer a PC game, but I can work with a PS4 game as well. I already Have Mortal Kombat X at the moment, but I haven't tried to see if it's compatible.

Thanks!
If you're from the west, you'd feel nostalgic about bat-top sticks, not Japanese ball-top style.

Anyway, you'd have to narrow down your description if you want recommendations, since you can emulate just about everything on PC.

Native fighting game PC ports have been a thing for the past 10 years, I particularly think Arc System Works games are great. SFV is also available but I wouldn't recommend that game.

Important question - does your stick support xinput or is it a Directinput device?

I hate everything by Netherrealm.

Jason Liang

Arcane
It would be helpful if you specified whether you just want to play single player, casually with friends, children or girlfriends, casual online play, competitive online play or competitive tournament.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Gameplay Videos
1. KoF XIII

2. Garou - Mark of the Wolves

3. Last Blade 2

5. KoF '98 Ultimate Match

7. KoF XIV

Stendahl

Barely Literate
If you really want to sink your teeth into something, install Fightcade and play Samurai Shodown V Special. Fairly big community on discord to help you learn and play it. Check out shoryken.com for help with that.

Can't go wrong with ArcSys fighters, especially DBZ.

For casual play, emulators and SNK stuff is good.

Last edited:

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
How do you guys feel about the Marvel games? The other day I fired up Marvel Super Heroes and the original Marvel vs Capcom on MAME with a few capeshit fan friends and we generally had a blast. I like that those games aren't generally total rehashes of one another, and I somewhat enjoyed the whole Infinity Stone mechanic. I also used to play a lot of Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter back when emulation was crappier and Shuma-Gorath's level 3 power crashed the emulator; I remember Wolverine's entire character . To my understanding MvC Infinite kinda murdered the franchise? Still, for casual play, I'd second the suggestion to just try arcade emulation.

Also, I enjoy Skullgirls. It's hella cheap and is at least notable for the distinctive audiovisuals; I'm nowhere near a fighting game expert, but the game is fun enough.

Some games I've also wanted to check out are UNIEL and Melty Blood, because I fairly enjoy Guilty Gear and those games look like they have tight mechanics.

Apostle Hand

Liturgist
Batshit Crazy
Mortal Kombat 3, Bloody Roar, Thrill For Kill, Twisted Metal, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, Fighting Game, Street of Rage

Boy, those were the days...

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom