Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2017: Results & Cool Graphs

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
I think it was worth to vote for DOS 2 only for beautiful view on butthurt from degenerates who keep repeating words "retarded, shit, faggots, gay, SJW" and death threats to all people who disagree with their very personal opinion. Keep going guys, I am still have popcorn. Oh and btw your cry can't change anything - poll closed, just saying. Haha, people really think that their personal opinion should become standard for everyone, lol.

P.S Can anyone say to me what kind combat and writing is not shit? Oh, wait, you cannot. Because in the end it all end up in another flame, since there doesn't exist "ideal combat/story/mechanics" which would benefit to everyone.

Durante

Learned
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think people can come up with any number of alternative voting schemes, but looking at these exceedingly clear results I'm quite certain that D:OS 2 would still win.
Unless it's "only I and people who think like me are allowed to vote" of course.

Dude, in the vast majority of encounters in P5, the enemy doesn't even get to move if you're playing correctly. It's the most boring, repetitive shit imaginable.
Sounds like typical Persona 3+ garbage. First encounter: figure out the weaknesses. All subsequent encounters of the same composition: play back the exact same script every time.
I will never understand how some people praise those for their combat mechanics. That honestly makes JRPGs look bad.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
You're all wrong, this nazi German fellow knows what's what: https://af.gog.com/forum/general/wh...orite_and_least_favorite/post21?as=1649904300

I own more than 500 games on gog and about 50% of those games are RPGs.

my 3 favorite games are: "Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2", "Torment: Tides of Numenera" and "Neverwinter Nights".

SW KotOR 2 is disqualified due to graphical bugs, NWN is disqualified due to the changed soundtrack in the main menu & character creation.

--> favorite game: Torment: Tides of Numenera

least favorite game: I know a lot of people are going to shake their heads because of this, but .... TES 3: Morrowind
I tried playing this game in 2002 but quit it. I tried playing it in 2006 and in 2011 but quit it. I tried playing it again in 2017 for 3 times and I've been playing it in the last 2 weeks aaaaaaaaaaand quit it.
I love Arena, Daggerfall, Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3 and Fallout 4. Morrowind is the only Bethesda RPG that I don't like.
why I don't like it:
- ugly landscapes, everything is grey and brown and let's not forget the red sandstorm in the center of the map. Vvardenfell looked better in Arena than in Morrowind.
- stamina is drained so unbelievably fast and takes ages to recover. stamina directly affects your chance to hit an enemy. so either you walk at the pace of a snail and are able to hit enemies, or you run until your stamina is gone and your chances of hitting are minimized.
- cliff racers attack you every ~20 seconds.
- story presentation is shit. Caius Cosades tells you to go to person A to gather information. person A sends you back to Caius. Caius tells you to level up and come back to him. Caius sends you to person B and C. you return to Caius. Caius tells you to level up before sending you to person D. uhm, nope, thanks. Oblivions main story was complete garbage, but at least you didn't fall asleep while playing it.

just my opinion. if you love Morrowind, good for you. my brother adores Morrowind. I prefer Daggerfall.

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I think it was worth to vote for DOS 2 only for beautiful view on butthurt from degenerates who keep repeating words "retarded, shit, faggots, gay, SJW" and death threats to all people who disagree with their very personal opinion. Keep going guys, I am still have popcorn. Oh and btw your cry can't change anything - poll closed, just saying. Haha, people really think that their personal opinion should become standard for everyone, lol.

P.S Can anyone say to me what kind combat and writing is not shit? Oh, wait, you cannot. Because in the end it all end up in another flame, since there doesn't exist "ideal combat/story/mechanics" which would benefit to everyone.
Hello fellow consumer of software products by Larian Studios™, I too deeply enjoyed the True Roleplaying Experience™ by Larian Studios™ aptly named "Divinity™: Original Sin 2"

Deleted member 7219

You're all wrong, this nazi German fellow knows what's what: https://af.gog.com/forum/general/wh...orite_and_least_favorite/post21?as=1649904300

I own more than 500 games on gog and about 50% of those games are RPGs.

my 3 favorite games are: "Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2", "Torment: Tides of Numenera" and "Neverwinter Nights".

SW KotOR 2 is disqualified due to graphical bugs, NWN is disqualified due to the changed soundtrack in the main menu & character creation.

--> favorite game: Torment: Tides of Numenera

least favorite game: I know a lot of people are going to shake their heads because of this, but .... TES 3: Morrowind
I tried playing this game in 2002 but quit it. I tried playing it in 2006 and in 2011 but quit it. I tried playing it again in 2017 for 3 times and I've been playing it in the last 2 weeks aaaaaaaaaaand quit it.
I love Arena, Daggerfall, Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3 and Fallout 4. Morrowind is the only Bethesda RPG that I don't like.
why I don't like it:
- ugly landscapes, everything is grey and brown and let's not forget the red sandstorm in the center of the map. Vvardenfell looked better in Arena than in Morrowind.
- stamina is drained so unbelievably fast and takes ages to recover. stamina directly affects your chance to hit an enemy. so either you walk at the pace of a snail and are able to hit enemies, or you run until your stamina is gone and your chances of hitting are minimized.
- cliff racers attack you every ~20 seconds.
- story presentation is shit. Caius Cosades tells you to go to person A to gather information. person A sends you back to Caius. Caius tells you to level up and come back to him. Caius sends you to person B and C. you return to Caius. Caius tells you to level up before sending you to person D. uhm, nope, thanks. Oblivions main story was complete garbage, but at least you didn't fall asleep while playing it.

just my opinion. if you love Morrowind, good for you. my brother adores Morrowind. I prefer Daggerfall.

It is easy to find stinking shit from mindblowingly retarded people on the Internet. Like that guy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
I think it's better to have everyone pick only 1-3 GOTY, because that way you won't have the inevitable downvoting of good games for stupid reasons. And if you limit the vote only to Codex members, you won't have potential vote spamming that the Google system is susceptible to.
downvoting good games
Define to me a "good game", you poor living being. Oh, wait, it would be only games which YOU like, I am right?

Deleted member 7219

I think it's better to have everyone pick only 1-3 GOTY, because that way you won't have the inevitable downvoting of good games for stupid reasons. And if you limit the vote only to Codex members, you won't have potential vote spamming that the Google system is susceptible to.
downvoting good games
Define to me a "good game", you poor living being. Oh, wait, it would be only games which YOU like, I am right?

Go away.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Dude, in the vast majority of encounters in P5, the enemy doesn't even get to move if you're playing correctly. It's the most boring, repetitive shit imaginable.
Sounds like typical Persona 3+ garbage. First encounter: figure out the weaknesses. All subsequent encounters of the same composition: play back the exact same script every time.
I will never understand how some people praise those for their combat mechanics. That honestly makes JRPGs look bad.

All the SMT games I've played have good combat built around principles similar to Persona, so I have to assume it's intentionally brainless, so that the waifu lovers can get to the next cutscene with minimal friction.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
downvoting good games

Go away.

Hey, don't disturb Nietzsche while he tries to iluminate us poor sobs, he has all the answers.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I think people can come up with any number of alternative voting schemes, but looking at these exceedingly clear results I'm quite certain that D:OS 2 would still win. Unless it's "only I and people who think like me are allowed to vote" of course.

I'm pretty sure ELEX, Grimoire, Nier and TTON all suffered from unjustified downvotes. Compare it to the "pick just one GOTY" system:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/rpg-of-the-year.119561/

1. DOS2
2. ELEX
3. Grimoire
4. Expeditions: Viking
5. Nier: Automata
6. TTON
7. West of Loathing
8. Spellforce 3
9. Mass Effect
10. Cat Quest

That's what Codex results should look like, not a Top 10 full of games nobody ever heard of.

Deleted member 7219

I think people can come up with any number of alternative voting schemes, but looking at these exceedingly clear results I'm quite certain that D:OS 2 would still win. Unless it's "only I and people who think like me are allowed to vote" of course.

I'm pretty sure ELEX, Grimoire, Nier and TTON all suffered from unjustified downvotes. Compare it to the "pick just one GOTY" system:

1. DOS2
2. ELEX
3. Grimoire
6. TTON
7. West of Loathing
8. Spellforce 3
9. Mass Effect
10. Cat Quest

That's what Codex results should look like, not a Top 10 full of games nobody ever heard of.

Ok Lady Error I thought you had a point but if Mass Effect Andromeda is going to be in our top 10 I’m glad the results were calculated differently. Holy shit. That is some horrific shit right there. Who the fuck rated that game positively? Not even AngryJoe, and he’s gone full retard in recent years.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Hello fellow consumer of software products by Larian Studios™, I too deeply enjoyed the True Roleplaying Experience™ by Larian Studios™ aptly named "Divinity™: Original Sin 2"
What if I told you that ANY game in documents have trade mark, since almost ALL games belong to one or another company( so all them have tm near title) ? Oh, wait, I shal not ruin your magical land of "ideal games" (and without copyright) with my logic and reason.

No :lol:

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
What if I told you that ANY game in documents have trade mark, since almost ALL games belong to one or another company( so all them have tm near title) ? Oh, wait, I shal not ruin your magical land of "ideal games" (and without copyright) with my logic and reason.
Fucking retarded november newfag.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Ok Lady Error I thought you had a point but if Mass Effect Andromeda is going to be in our top 10 I’m glad the results were calculated differently. Holy shit.

Maybe it was just troll votes for Mass Effect and Cat Quest (only 4 each) - with a bigger official vote they'd probably not end up in the Top 10.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Writing: PS:T, KoTOR2
Combat: ToEE
Also Mask of the Betrayer for writing, and Betrayal at Krondor.
And for combat, also Knights of the Chalice.

That about covers it...

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

you appear lost

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

1. DOS2
2. ELEX
3. Grimoire
6. TTON
7. West of Loathing
8. Spellforce 3
9. Mass Effect
10. Cat Quest

That list just shows you what a terrible year we had, none of these games deserve anything, I had more fun replaying Gothic 1-2 and Ultima series. And all this talk about DOS 2, that pile of dung will be forgotten by next year and trust me, no sane player would put that shit anywhere near a top RPG list, there's nothing memorable about it, no great encounters, no memorable characters, nothing, just like PoE, they got great scores because of the great RPG/TBS drought, simple as that.

Paul_cz

Arcane
RPG Codex might be a wretched hive of lovable scum and villainy, but we sure have fine game taste. Glad to see Prey and Elex fare well.

Deleted member 7219

I liked Pillars a lot more than anything in the Divinity series. A story that engaged you right from the start, no lulz, a consistent and interesting game world. I will admit the turn based combat of DOS 1 and 2 were better than the BG-inspired clusterfuck of PoE, though. I’d like to see what Sawyer could do with a turn based system.

Deleted member 7219

So the Codex voted for a Bethesda Non-RPG - hmmmm - got I automatically redirected to a Pseudo-Codex ?

I can tell you Prey is NOT in the RPGWatch top 3...

Was Mass Effect: Andromeda? I’m genuinely interested actually.

I take your point that having Prey on the list is a stain on the Codex’s prestigious reputation but the Watch has done far worse in years gone by.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Battle Bros cracking the top 3 is a pleasant surprise. Those guys made a really good game especially considering it's a first release from a tiny studio.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom