Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2017: Results & Cool Graphs

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
DOS2 is a fucking shit game, but this being the Codex I fully expected it to get first place in the vote because the people around here are completely fucking clueless, and the moment they see pretty graphixxx and turn-based combat they start creaming themselves. But the way it scored SO HIGH managed to surprise even myself.

What a joke.
You can always leave, you know.
Improve the place.

r

Morkar Left

The Total points column which is Average Score x number of votes makes a lot more sense to me. Everything else is just bullshitting...

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Then two other groups took over: the alt-right fascists and storyfags and suddenly it was all about "huehue u can fuck everything, stupid SJWs, shit game" and "horrible writing! AHHHH".

More like people who have a clue about anything started noticing how the game is nothing but a watered down set of smoke and mirrors where even something like combat initiative is a fucking sham.

But you can go ahead and let your limited German mindset take over as always and keep bleeting "BAAH! BAAAAAH! FASCISTS! ALT-RIGHT!"

DOS2 is a fucking shit game, but this being the Codex I fully expected it to get first place in the vote because the people around here are completely fucking clueless, and the moment they see pretty graphixxx and turn-based combat they start creaming themselves. But the way it scored SO HIGH managed to surprise even myself.

What a joke.

You know what a joke is, you defending Elex as the second coming of Jesus Christ and somehow you still have the audacity to call PoE and Dos 2 shit games, have some integrity and stop sucking Bjorns cock, you aint looking pretty with those chapped lips.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why the does everyone keep assuming this poll was for RPG of the year? It’s the game of the year poll. I agree it’s remarkably silly that so many non RPGs would do so well on the RPG Codex GOTY poll, but there you go. Maybe Roqua has a point that many Codexians are indifferent to the genre (half kidding). But like so many others have noted, it’s just because there were so few worthwhile CRPGs this year. Elex was very much a diamond in the rough, Expeditions Viking was decent but combat quickly became monotonous, Spellforce 3 was okay but kind of mediocre, and I can’t bring myself to play another Larian game after D:OS. Much like the 2016 election, I just couldn’t bring myself to vote.

You say that Expeditions Viking has a monotonous combat but Elex was a diamond in the rough, what a fucking joke

Toughest monsters in the game and the only thing they can do is two telegraphed attacks that even my near blind grandmother can see them coming and even a spastic with multiple sclerosis can dodge them.

Every fucking encounter in Expeditions is the same. There are like two different mobs and that’s it, over and over and over, aside from a couple interesting fights like the beach landing in Northumbria. Once you figure out the right strategy, you just keep doing the same thing nearly every fight. I didn’t dislike Expeditions but the encounter design was terrible.

There’s not much variety in Elex, but yeah, more than in Expeditions. And shitty encounter design sucks more in a turn based game because it takes forever to play out, even as you don’t need to do any thinking.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
The discrepancy between D:OS 2's result in the poll and the commentary about it on the forums must be among the widest we've ever seen on this site.
There are a lot of D:OS 2 fans around here whose voices aren't being heard.

Haters just have a longer breath and people who enjoy their stuff don't care to engage them and move on with their lives.

I really enjoyed PoE and I have barely posted about it while some people still shitpost whole books worth of posts about how much it sucked several years after its release. Is it autism?

I reckon plenty of people who enjoy DOS2 would rather spend their time playing something they enjoy than hopelessly attempting to break some meming circlejerk.

omg posting seems so pointless now what am i doing with my life

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Tides of Numenera got screwed by the move to 1-4. Considering that 2/4 got the most votes, I believe a lot of people would have ordinarily voted it 3/5 but couldn't, and 3/4 pushed it too far into positive. :M

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
because the people around here are completely fucking clueless, and the moment they see pretty graphixxx and turn-based combat they start creaming themselves.

You are wrong mate. Most Codexer are storyfags and most old codexers are Troika/Black Isle fanboys (also storyfags). That's why actual fucking rpg like Deus Ex, Star Trail and Underworld are not in the top 10 and instead nteractive visual novel shit like Arcanum and PST are.

That said my list would be:
-Divinity Original Sin 2
-Grimoire
-Nioh

Very surprised Battle Brothers got such a high rating after that bullshit they pulled.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
because the people around here are completely fucking clueless, and the moment they see pretty graphixxx and turn-based combat they start creaming themselves.

You are wrong mate. Most Codexer are storyfags and most old codexers are Troika/Black Isle fanboys (also storyfags). That's why actual fucking rpg like Deus Ex, Star Trail and Underworld are not in the top 10 and instead nteractive visual novel shit like Arcanum and PST are.

That said my list would be:
-Divinity Original Sin 2
-Grimoire
-Nioh

Very surprised Battle Brothers got such a high rating after that bullshit they pulled.
Yet Wizardry 8 is on our Top 10 and Wizardry VII is #15.
The Codex enjoys Wizardry-like games, I'm sure Grimoire would've performed better if only Cleve had released the manual and actually finished the game. :M

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
ELEX didn't actually do that poorly, here's the image from the full article for all the low attention span kids in the audience

15985.png

So I see - this DOS2 is a bright blue supergiant - Polaris I assume, ELEX is a solid blue giant, and what I see - Torment: Tides of Numenera is a tiny yellow dwarf, but... what is this? I can't see anything! turned out Mass Effect Andromeda is a fucking black hole!

I agree it’s remarkably silly that so many non RPGs would do so well on the RPG Codex GOTY poll

I already got used to it from last poll in 2017 - I remember there were games like Xenonauts. :prosper:

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The Total points column which is Average Score x number of votes makes a lot more sense to me. Everything else is just bullshitting...
So Torment: Tides of Numenera is the #3 just because A LOT of people gave it 1/4s and 2/4s?
And Dominions 5 is better rpg than Elex,West of loathing,Nier and Spellforce 3 because 77 fans voted with 3&4?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm not sure I think ELEX should have won, but Divinity Original Sin 2 was my biggest disappointment 2017. Kinda hard to see it score a number one place.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
you defending Elex as the second coming of Jesus Christ

yeah that was me

I reckon plenty of people who enjoy DOS2 would rather spend their time playing something they enjoy

And I wonder how many of these people that "enjoyed" it have actually finished the fucking game just btw :lol:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
So Torment: Tides of Numenera is the #3 just because A LOT of people gave it 1/4s and 2/4s?
And Dominions 5 is better rpg than Elex,West of loathing,Nier and Spellforce 3 because 77 fans voted with 3&4?
77 is not a low number. West of Loathing had 105 votes and SpellForce 3 had 125.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Shoutout to West of Loathing as the only RPG that's actually a proper RPG that the Codex zeitgeist likes in the entire top 10???

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Elex fans acting like aggressive brain-dead zombies, who ignore flaws of their beloved game and spread disease of false propaganda. Game is fucking shit by many reasons. For me it was:
-Weak character, despite being a fucking commander in most powerful fraction (I understand why character weak, but why the fuck he in charge, why devs not make him a novice soldier or something)
-Stats is useless, zero reactivity
-Weak enegry weapons, (it's fucking impossible for fauna to evolve in creatures which can stand a 100 shots from plasma riffle)
-Game look and feels like MMO from early 2000s (except in 2000 there was interesting mmo and in some games animals attacked each other, not just player)
-over9000 other reasons
visual novel shit like Arcanum
Any proof to backup such claim? I mean I love Deus Ex (first game) too, but calling Arcanum as visual novel it's like claim that first DoW was a first person shooter.
Spellfforce 3 is not full RPG, it's strategy game with action RPG elements, although I liked game and it's better than fucking Elex.

Morkar Left

Tides of Numenera isn't in your Top Ten listed in the article...

Giving each game a rating value is pretty much bullshit when you have to vote for the best game of the year.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

yeah that was me

I reckon plenty of people who enjoy DOS2 would rather spend their time playing something they enjoy

And I wonder how many of these people that "enjoyed" it have actually finished the fucking game just btw :lol:
I am more curious how many people that "enjoyed" the game actually played it.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Such a terrible year(or years) for games of all genre, people keep blaming nostalgia for liking older games over these new cookie cutters but in the end we all know the real reason why is this happening, the new incoming devs just can't deliver in any department, be it gameplay, writing, story, or in the end they just don't give a shit. I keep seeing the people behind these games and all I see is pierced, rainbow dyed, fat motherfuckers that couldnt hold a conversation with a person to save their fucking lives. And let's stop blaming the budget behind these games, even with milions of dollars these games would still have the same sterile, hospital smell like they just got through a heart surgery.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite

yeah that was me

I am more curious how many people that "enjoyed" the game actually played it.
I am played and enjoyed it. And it's not THAT bad how some people claim. Yeah, issues with loot and bugs exist, but in general I liked it. And I am finished game. So what now?

Morkar Left

Tides of Numenera isn't in your Top Ten listed in the article...

Read the Excel, it has 1244 points which would put it in the Top 3 by your criteria.

"My" criteria - which isn't actually mine - is referentcing to the top ten listed in the article. The article already made a distinction which I'm ok with. But using it as the only criteria is useless.
You might as well give everybody 1 voice and ask him which game should be rpg of the year. This would be equally good without giving it some pretence of science or fairness.

You could get better results by taking out every game that has a higher % of 1-2 ratings than 3-4 ratings. Just going by the numbers isn't really representative.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom