Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2017: Results & Cool Graphs

LizardWizard

Cipher
Why was Destiny 2 on the list

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Not at all ashamed to report that I honestly don't even know what 'Prey' is, never read or seen anything about it other than the name. Don't really care much for System Shock neither, so maybe thats the reason.

Thanks for polling and doing your statistics thing, felipe!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Sooo we have become a rpgwatch tier of casual shit. It seems most of the poseurs here don't even know what rpg is. Only four actual rpgs in the whole top 10. A strategy game with only 80 people spamming the 4point button is higher than some legit rpgs. Fuck you and fuck your sister!!!

Modron

Arcane
So people who have never played an RPG before? Okay.
Well, at least for those people, there's D:OS 2 and all its fanfiction romance, gay and straight! Progressive!

It's not an RPG if you can't fuck everyone, like in Fallout.
But you can bang everything in Expeditions Viking... :roll:
On a more serious note, more of you guys need to play EV already. It's sad day when a gem like this is topped by shit like Prey.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
  • Divinity: Original Sin 2
  • Prey
  • Battle Brothers

WTF? I am missing something? Isn't Prey an FPS? I completely don't understand this.

It's got RPG elements™.

The game probably would have sold more if Bethesda had marketed it as an RPG. Fucking morons.
codps4-1-768x576.jpg

Should have putted this one too.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Well, at least for those people, there's D:OS 2 and all its fanfiction romance, gay and straight! Progressive!

On a more serious note, more of you guys need to play EV already. It's sad day when a gem like this is topped by shit like Prey.
:bro: Yeah a lot of poseurs here!

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why the does everyone keep assuming this poll was for RPG of the year? It’s the game of the year poll. I agree it’s remarkably silly that so many non RPGs would do so well on the RPG Codex GOTY poll, but there you go. Maybe Roqua has a point that many Codexians are indifferent to the genre (half kidding). But like so many others have noted, it’s just because there were so few worthwhile CRPGs this year. Elex was very much a diamond in the rough, Expeditions Viking was decent but combat quickly became monotonous, Spellforce 3 was okay but kind of mediocre, and I can’t bring myself to play another Larian game after D:OS. Much like the 2016 election, I just couldn’t bring myself to vote.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why the does everyone keep assuming this poll was for RPG of the year? It’s the game of the year poll. I agree it’s remarkably silly that so many non RPGs would do so well on the RPG Codex GOTY poll, but there you go. Maybe Roqua has a point that many Codexians are indifferent to the genre (half kidding). But like so many others have noted, it’s just because there were so few worthwhile CRPGs this year. Elex was very much a diamond in the rough, Expeditions Viking was decent but combat quickly became monotonous, Spellforce 3 was okay but kind of mediocre, and I can’t bring myself to play another Larian game after D:OS. Much like the 2016 election, I just couldn’t bring myself to vote.

It is an RPG of the year award. Felipepepe just prefers to err on the side of inclusion when it comes to genre hybrids. And why shouldn't he? Let's gather as much data as possible. You can always exclude games from the result and create your own "Real RPG" ranking, like I did in my first post in this thread.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I get you mate,i am not big on the genre segregation normally,but it would be naturally to think that "game" for a rpg dedicated forum will be an rpg not a fucking shooter or strategy game. If they go for the inclusiveness they should have added asscreed and call of duty,shitty AAA games. This is just hypocritical to say.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture

Well, I will second this, as unlike Original Sin 2, the writing in EV doesn't make your brain try to leak from your ears with its boundless idiocy.

We can always do a poll "Non-RPGs of the Year for a Gentleman and Lady" or some other shit. No reason to mix RPGs with non-RPGs

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The discrepancy between D:OS 2's result in the poll and the commentary about it on the forums must be among the widest we've ever seen on this site.

There are a lot of D:OS 2 fans around here whose voices aren't being heard.
I don't think it is about not being heard, it is about not caring about the bullshit that is being posted.

When D:OS2 was released, there was some actual discussion about encounters, gameplay mechanics, etc.
It was pretty good.

Then two other groups took over: the alt-right fascists and storyfags and suddenly it was all about "huehue u can fuck everything, stupid SJWs, shit game" and "horrible writing! AHHHH".
As if any of that ever mattered much in a turn-based combat focused game. But that's what D:OS2 is now about on the Codex. Whatever.
With such an "audience", no wonder people who like the game decided to just don't bother partaking in the "discussion".

The combat system with its silly armor was a step down from D:OS 1, but other than that and cheese-wins encounters, the game is rather good. Some great mods out there, too.
The writing is serviceable, way less ridiculous than in D:OS1. I don't give a shit about romances or what you can or cannot fuck.
And all of that combined is still good enough to make it to the top of the list. There really wasn't too much of a competition that year. Don't think I gave any game the highest score.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

You say that Expeditions Viking has a monotonous combat but Elex was a diamond in the rough, what a fucking joke

Toughest monsters in the game and the only thing they can do is two telegraphed attacks that even my near blind grandmother can see them coming and even a spastic with multiple sclerosis can dodge them.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't think it is about not being heard, it is about not caring about the bullshit that is being posted.

When D:OS2 was released, there was some actual discussion about encounters, gameplay mechanics, etc.
It was pretty good.

Then two other groups took over: the alt-right fascists and storyfags and suddenly it was all about "huehue u can fuck everything, shit game" and "horrible writing! AHHHH".

Eh I don't think that's true, I think most of the criticism is (still) about the game mechanics.

Would still love to see this sort of review: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...2-release-thread.118260/page-172#post-5436388

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

You say that Expeditions Viking has a monotonous combat but Elex was a diamond in the rough, what a fucking joke

Toughest monsters in the game and the only thing they can do is two telegraphed attacks that even my near blind grandmother can see them coming and even a spastic with multiple sclerosis can dodge them.

Amazing,you are able to kill the "hardest" monsters 30 hours in the game. At least try and show it as a level one kills mate.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Then two other groups took over: the alt-right fascists and storyfags and suddenly it was all about "huehue u can fuck everything, stupid SJWs, shit game" and "horrible writing! AHHHH".

More like people who have a clue about anything started noticing how the game is nothing but a watered down set of smoke and mirrors where even something like combat initiative is a fucking sham.

But you can go ahead and let your limited German mindset take over as always and keep bleeting "BAAH! BAAAAAH! FASCISTS! ALT-RIGHT!"

DOS2 is a fucking shit game, but this being the Codex I fully expected it to get first place in the vote because the people around here are completely fucking clueless, and the moment they see pretty graphixxx and turn-based combat they start creaming themselves. But the way it scored SO HIGH managed to surprise even myself.

What a joke.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

It was pretty good.

Then two other groups took over: the alt-right fascists and storyfags and suddenly it was all about "huehue u can fuck everything, shit game" and "horrible writing! AHHHH".

Eh I don't think that's true, I think most of the criticism is (still) about the game mechanics.

Would still love to see this sort of review: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...2-release-thread.118260/page-172#post-5436388
Different people disliked different things in the game. I am a story fag and found the writing terrible at best,never cared what you can fuck. Also a lot of the mechanics become boring fast and many times they are never used after their chapter. Anyway i don't have big problem with DOS2 winning,at least it is an rpg,mediocre one but an rpg.

Repressed Homosexual
People picking Prey over Grimoire. And the Codex calls itself a forum for connaisseurs.

My game of the year is Creature Quest. I have been playing it non stop for a year. Most enjoyable adaptation of an RPG to the mobile format I have ever seen.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
DOS2 is a fucking shit game, but this being the Codex I fully expected it to get first place in the vote because the people around here are completely fucking clueless, and the moment they see pretty graphixxx and turn-based combat they start creaming themselves. But the way it scored SO HIGH managed to surprise even myself.

What a joke.
You can always leave, you know.
Improve the place.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom