Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Cael

Arcane
fucking skyrim

jesus

whats the matter with me
Your name in this forum is Poos. Dude, I think playing Skyrim is the least of your worries :D:D:D

Jason Liang

Arcane
I started Homeworld: Remastered, but my intolerance for RTS mechanics just kept growing. I doubt I'll continue. I guess I'll give it a few days more thought before uninstalling.

I also started ATS. Had fun for about 10 hours but that's enough for now. I'm not uninstalling it, but it's hard to justify when I have like 50 hours worth of movies and tv shows to catch up on.

Mustawd

Beat Super Mario World for first time. Always got 75% through as a kid but always got stuck.

Now playing ShadowRun Returns. It's slowly growing on me.

And also playing Frayed KNights here and there, but the game is buggy on widows 10 with a dual monitor setup. It's annoying enough that I'll prolly beat SRR before attempting it agian/

lokendz0un3.jpg

:yeah:

Game is great but I forgot how long in the tooth it got later on - it's mostly filler and you become super overpowered, nothing really has a chance of killing you. There's a lot of optional spells and shit, but really all you need to beat the game is the shield spell, blood armour and those OP axes.

Simon Templeman as Kain is possibly tied for the best videogame voice of all time, together with Stephen Russel's Garrett.

There's some killer dialogue in the game too, very well written. And of course, the story is ace. The 'evil' ending is awesome.

Now I'm going to replay Soul Reaver - is the Dreamcast version still the best?

Mark Richard

Arcane
Currently playing King Arthur: The Role-Playing Wargame. I have a soft spot for this game with it's story-driven campaign, choose your own adventure segments, unit unlocks relevant to the religion and morality of the ruler (both are tracked separately), and recruitable heroes for the round table. I'm filling mine with the most despicable blackhearted despots the world has ever known.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I've recently completed Tomb raider and Tomb raider. You know, both original and the reboot.

Tomb raider (1996), it's a pretty good game considering that it was one of the proper new 3D adventure games. The best is the level design. Not just in terms of physic structure but also in art direction. You visit a lot of different places, and they are very well presented. A Coliseum, egyptian ruins and pyramids, different tombs and of course the atlantis. Which is amazing and very original. The only bad thing I can say about the game is that slight imput delay in the controls. I've played the PSX version in a emulator, which has a very poor framerate that impacts negatively the game making it even slower. But I had some troubles with the PC version with the CGI videos and through the configuration of a pad. The PSX version also has level selection, something missing in the PC version for some strange reason. I consider the crystals savepoints a worse version in comparison with the save anytime you want of the PC version though. The crystal placement is just not good measured.

Tomb raider 2013 is a decent popamole, or at least I've had fun with it. It could be a lot better if it had more complex and larger secondary tombs, and with more plataforming focus instead of action parts. But I enjoyed the experience overall. It just lacks ambition and it's a very comfy game. The story is mediocre at best, but you can't ask too much in a game like this I guess. The Oni could have been greater if they game focused more on them. At the end they're just normal human enemies with japanese weaponry, far away from that "magic" or "demonic" presentation that they had earlier. Also there's not enough wild beast to defeat. Just wolves. I feel there's a lot of potential here, but that it wasted because the developers wanted the safer way taking sales from Uncharted market. Let's see how this has evolved in Rise of the tomb raider.

Now I started to play Tomb raider 2, while I'm not sure if I will continue playing the PSX version or jump to the PC if I fix my problems with the GOG 1+2+3 edition. Also I'll start RotTR. I'm mixing old and newest games for not getting extremely tired. The classics TR are more a 1 incredibly long game than 5 separated ones. I'm thinking in skipping IV, Chronicles and Angel of darkness though.

Mustawd

I've played the PSX version in a emulator, which has a very poor framerate that impacts negatively the game making it even slower.

I don't know what it is but PSX just seems like a bitch to emulate. It's what, 18 years since PS2 released, and we still have these PSX issues? I wish I knew why the F that is.

I don't know what it is but PSX just seems like a bitch to emulate. It's what, 18 years since PS2 released, and we still have these PSX issues? I wish I knew why the F that is.
Quite the opposite, the PSX is probably one of the best emulated systems right now (certainly much better than the PS2 even though PCSX2 is an impressive effort). You're probably just using an outdated emulator that's full of hacks and workarounds, such as Epsx-e.

Try Beetle PSX (there's a Retroarch core). Regarding framerates, people seem to misremember how terribly many games used to run on native PSX hardware. For example, Soul Reaver used to run at 10-15 FPS a lot of the time.

It's not really that it's 'supposed to be bad', it's just a matter of accuracy. I personally tend to value accuracy above all else in an emulator, and as such (barring a few exceptions) I like to emulate PSX through Beetle in software mode with all the particular quirks of the system (such as wobbly polygons and dithering) intact (although you can also get rid of them if you wish with a hardware fork of the same emulator) through a decent CRT shader in Retroarch.

ePSXe is a plugin-based emulator, so it's sometimes hit and miss - things usually work fine for more mainstream games, but since it's not systemically consistent, a lot of obscure, lesser known titles (such as JPN only stuff) have issues. It's also closed source so progress is slower.

That said, if you're having a good time with ePSXe for the games you play, then more power to you.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
GMDX BROS

THIS TINME I REALLY GET WHY DESU EX IS SO COOL

BASICALLY IF I WAS A KID AND I ONLJY JUST HAD THIS GAME I COULD SPEND FOREVER ON DIFFERET BUILDS AND EXPLORING DIFFERENT WASYS TO DO SHIT

I MURDER FUCKING EVRYONE BROS LOLOLOL FINISHED IT ONCE NOW TRYING IT AGAIN

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
Was testing emulator filters and whatnot and ended up playing Chrono Trigger almost until the underwater palace, it's a nice game.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Finished The Talos Principle and I was pleasantly surprised,it's agood first person puzzle game that has a good story with some great storytelling.What's really sriprising is that it's made by Croteam the guys that made the Serious Sam games,how they transitioned from making arcade fps games with a lulzy protagonist to making puzzle games with a story that has philosophical themes about identity,existence,intelligence etc is impressive.Recommended and added it's dlc Road to Gehenna to my wishlist for a future sale

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Completed Sniper 1337 4: 4 Times the Sniper, 4 times as Elite.
Basically stealth GOTY, it was good and fun although got pretty repetitive later on. The maps are huge and largely well designed, but later on they get more closed and linear with little sniping to be done. The bullet ballistics with compensating for drop is good, but the wind I feel has way too much effect on the direction and is too hard to compensate for, so if you don't use the magic diamond marker it's pretty difficult to do over 150m shots outdoors.
Also would've liked more sight settings, there's only multiples of 100m until 500m, starting with 0, then 100, 200, 300, 400 and 500, but often I was around 50 meters and had to use the 0 meter sight setting instead.

The guns are pretty well detailed, the Nagant revolver can use subsonic (suppressed) ammo while the Webley can't, the character in game flips the dust cover off of the M3 Grease Gun after taking it out and subsonic ammo has a lot more bullet drop and the wind affects it more due to the lower velocity.
Still hate that they don't give nonlethal options at close quarters though, only brutal stabbing.
I was disappointed that the game used Denuvo though, that kinda sucked, but I pirated it.

Overall a 7.5 or 8/10, it was pretty good. I'm amazed that there was anything resembling a stealth game released last year, aside from Dishonored I guess. The game really is just a beefed up Sniper Elite 3, and that's totally fine since the core gameplay in Sniper Elite 3 was pretty good, but they need to do something new with Sniper Elite 5. Italy was a good setting but I kinda wish they would move away from WW2.

I also found a codexian in the game.
aYG4e.png

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Completed Sniper 1337 4: 4 Times the Sniper, 4 times as Elite.
Basically stealth GOTY, it was good and fun although got pretty repetitive later on. The maps are huge and largely well designed, but later on they get more closed and linear with little sniping to be done. The bullet ballistics with compensating for drop is good, but the wind I feel has way too much effect on the direction and is too hard to compensate for, so if you don't use the magic diamond marker it's pretty difficult to do over 150m shots outdoors.
Also would've liked more sight settings, there's only multiples of 100m until 500m, starting with 0, then 100, 200, 300, 400 and 500, but often I was around 50 meters and had to use the 0 meter sight setting instead.

The guns are pretty well detailed, the Nagant revolver can use subsonic (suppressed) ammo while the Webley can't, the character in game flips the dust cover off of the M3 Grease Gun after taking it out and subsonic ammo has a lot more bullet drop and the wind affects it more due to the lower velocity.
Still hate that they don't give nonlethal options at close quarters though, only brutal stabbing.
I was disappointed that the game used Denuvo though, that kinda sucked, but I pirated it.

Overall a 7.5 or 8/10, it was pretty good. I'm amazed that there was anything resembling a stealth game released last year, aside from Dishonored I guess. The game really is just a beefed up Sniper Elite 3, and that's totally fine since the core gameplay in Sniper Elite 3 was pretty good, but they need to do something new with Sniper Elite 5. Italy was a good setting but I kinda wish they would move away from WW2.

I also found a codexian in the game.
aYG4e.png
How are the predecessors? I'd thought of trying the first one but apparently v2 is the same thing with better graphics and more importantly a melee buttan.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
how they transitioned from making arcade fps games with a lulzy protagonist to making puzzle games with a story that has philosophical themes about identity,existence,intelligence etc is impressive.

I don't think the shift from Serious Sam to a puzzler is that strange when you think about it. SS already employed a lot of weird gameplay or level architecture tricks and gimmicks, like all assorted Newton's Nightmares, so it's not a completely random shift.

As for the story - they got a guest writer on board for it, IIRC the one from FTL? But I'm not sure.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I DIDNT MEBTION THIS BEFORE BUT MY WIFE BOUGHT ME A FAGBONE CONSILE FOR CHRISTMAS LOLOLLOLOL NEVER TOLD HER I WANTED ONE

ANYWAYS BROS I WAS DRINKUNG BEER AND TAKING XANAX AND PLAYING CALL OF PRIPYAT THIS MORNING AND DECIDED TO BUY MONSTER HUNTET WORLD LOLOLLOL

IM AT HOME ALL ALONE TONIGHY IT WILLL BE MORE BEER AND MONSTER HUNTET

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom