Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Recommendations

Deleted Member 16721

Or Baldur's Gate EET, which I'm playing now. Heavily modded, but with all quality content. RPG'ing doesn't get much better, IMO, in terms of the total combination of RPG pillars.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Or Baldur's Gate EET, which I'm playing now. Heavily modded, but with all quality content. RPG'ing doesn't get much better, IMO, in terms of the total combination of RPG pillars.

Agreed. I finally beat BG:EE yesterday. In retrospect, the game had its frustrations -- notably quest bugs -- but it was quite an adventure. Can't wait to dive into Seige of Dragonspear and eventually BG2.

Last edited:

Taelyn

Literate
Okay thanks for all the suggestions! I think I might go with Baldur's Gate 2 or Planescape: Torment next, though those Gold Box games definitely seemed interesting!

da_rays

Augur

Any recommendation on which mods to use? Just reinstalled BG:EE and im ready for a solid playthrough . And im a bit out of the loop , are most mods compatible with BG and BG:EE?

Deleted Member 16721

Any recommendation on which mods to use? Just reinstalled BG:EE and im ready for a solid playthrough . And im a bit out of the loop , are most mods compatible with BG and BG:EE?

IMO, get BG:EE, Siege of Dragonspear and BG2:EE, then download the mod install tool called Big World Setup. Choose the "Recommended" package and then go through all the options that entails. Check any of the boxes for additional features/content you'd like which isn't part of the "Recommended" package, such as the Drizzt Saga quest content, The Sandrah Saga, additional companions, additional Sword Coast Stratagems features and whatever else turns you on. Make sure you set the XP gain to 50% for both monsters and quests and congratulations, you're mostly set for an epic Baldur's Gate Trilogy playthrough in one single game, as an epic campaign (the Enhanced Edition Trilogy mod combines them all into one game, in Baldur's Gate 2's engine.)

For the detailed specifics you'll have to research yourself, but overall it's pretty easy compared to other mod installations. Good luck and enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mustawd

Okay thanks for all the suggestions! I think I might go with Baldur's Gate 2 or Planescape: Torment next, though those Gold Box games definitely seemed interesting!

If you go goldbox I recommend using goldbox companion. It's user made software to help with mapping for us non autists.

Gaznak

Learned
Well, I didn't find the usual big sticky-ed topic of 'recommendation questions' here so I allowed myself a bit of necromantic liberty.

Could someone recommend me an RPG with setting and atmosphere of dream-likeness, baroque or some similar kind of gameplay? Well, you know, something like 'Alice in Wonderland' or maybe rather like some proto-fantasy fiction, with strange landscapes, chess floors, bizarre medievalesque mythology stuff and the overall surreality?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, I didn't find the usual big sticky-ed topic of 'recommendation questions' here so I allowed myself a bit of necromantic liberty.

Could someone recommend me an RPG with setting and atmosphere of dream-likeness, baroque or some similar kind of gameplay? Well, you know, something like 'Alice in Wonderland' or maybe rather like some proto-fantasy fiction, with strange landscapes, chess floors, bizarre medievalesque mythology stuff and the overall surreality?
Planetescape Tournament

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

Paper Sorcerer.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
Let me second Icewind Dale 1 and 2. If you liked Baldurs Gate you should feel immediately at home in those two games. Another one that has not been mentioned but that is a overall very well rounded rpg is Drakensang The River of Time. In my opinion it is one of the best third person party rpgs. I don't know how good the english version is, but the native German synchronization is excellent.

deem

Savant
Interesting question Gaznak. I too would be interested in a dream-like RPG, a gaming equivalent of a Tarkovsky movie.
Dark Souls and Bloodborne were able to (at times) achieve that tone through minimalism.
An example of this can be seen here. An odd interaction that does not elicit a baffled reaction nor questions from the protagonist, a dream where such things are commonplace.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Not an RPG, but the first thing that came to mind was The Sword, one of the missions in Thief: The Dark Project.

0wca

Learned
Planescape: Torment

^^ Absolute must and first on the list. It's not optional, it's mandatory.

Underrail

Great game though pretty grindy and a little too linear in some places.

Fallout (The first one is certainly worth it's mileage)

First Fallout is awesome, though pretty short. Fallout 2 is also great and much longer, though it's a lot more goofy than the first. Definitely play both.

Deus Ex
Fallout New Vegas

Deus Ex is a classic.

F:NV is immensely replayable and is the best 3D Fallout by far (recommend some combat mods to make it less clunky; check the Nexus)

Divinity: Original Sin 1 and 2
The Banner Saga 1 and 2 (3 is coming out this year)
Icewind Dale 1 and 2

DoS 1 and 2 are controversial titkes, but I really liked the C&C and combat of both. It definitely falls into a love it or hate it sort of category.

Banner Saga 1 and 2 I wouldn't really consider RPGs, though it definitely has RPG elements and are great games. Play the 3rd one if you want a (shitty) conclusion to the story.

IWD 1 and 2 are classic RPGs in the vein of BG. Pretty linear but have grwat atmosphere, music and party creation tools.

deterministic system > RNG

Who let the parrot in this time?

Tihskael

Learned

Souls series. Besides great combat, piecing together little tidbits to make sense of the world is one of the best experiences the medium of video games will ever offer.

V_K

Arcane
Voidspire Tactics is set in a place that is composed of areas "stolen" from different dimensions and patched together. It has a sufficiently dreamy atmosphere, but it's not the prettiest game ever so your imagination will have to do most of the heavy lifting.
Also, some locations in Solasta are sufficiently bizarre, bearing the traces of a magical cataclysm (and the game's implementation of Spiderclimb spell that lets you stand on vertical surfaces adds to the weirdness). But it's more of a traditional high fantasy overall.

Unexplored 2 would fit your brief best probably, but it's a bit of a wait until it's released properly.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
If you want to check modern RPGs, play Doom Eternal and Dark Souls, or the original Doom that is even more modern from a RPG point of view, even if it is from 1993. If you want to check classic RPGs, play Fallout 1-2.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
"I liked these games but I'm incapable of forming my own opinion and therefore repeat what codex tells me to say"
No.

At the time, I enjoyed DOS1 for the dozen hours I played. I also clocked in another dozen plus hours into DOS2, when that came out, and liked what I saw then. It was only within the last year or so, when I went back and actually finished those games, did the flaws -- often mentioned here and in other places -- revealed themselves that soured both games for me upon completion.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom