Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity II releasing on April 3rd, at least three DLC expansions planned

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Feargus Urquhart; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire; Versus Evil

When Obsidian shut down pledges for Pillars of Eternity II yesterday, it was a clear sign that its release date wasn't far off. And what do you know, just a day later they confirmed that, with the official announcement that the game will be released on April 3rd. It's now available for pre-order on all the usual platforms, with the obligatory collection of silly pre-order bonus items, which will of course also be granted to the game's earlier backers. The price tag for the standard edition is $50, which is more than any game of this type has ever been sold for before, including Divinity: Original Sin 2. But the most interesting part of the announcement is the reveal that the game is going to receive at least three expansion DLCs. I quote:

Irvine, California – January 25th, 2018 - Independent developer Obsidian Entertainment, in partnership with indie powerhouse publisher Versus Evil announced the launch of pre-orders today for Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire. Consumers can now digitally pre-order the Standard , Deluxe, and Obsidian Editions through Obsidian.net, GOG.com, and Steam, as well as other digital retailers. The physical Obsidian Edition of the game, which includes additional in-game content and physical items for gamers to enjoy, is available for pre-order at all major gaming retail stores.

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire will launch April 3, 2018 on Windows PC, Mac, and Linux platforms.

By pre-ordering the Standard, Deluxe, or Obsidian Edition, fans will receive three unique in-game digital items:
  • St. Drogga's Skull – Crafted from a sabre and the skull of a martyr, it will slash and burn enemies in combat, while also guiding players through the darkest reaches of the Deadfire.
  • Beakhead, the Hawk (In-Game Pet): Beakhead, the white hawk, took a liking to your ship soon after you arrived in the Deadfire. Captains in the Deadfire are only as effective as their crew, and with this jaunty first-mate by your side, you're bound to find success at sea.
  • The Black Flag: This flag is said to have been flown by a mysterious and rowdy band of seadogs from a far-off land, who dyed their sails black with a stain made from ground-up dragon glass. Dark and intimidating, but somehow attractive, nonetheless.
The standard edition of Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire will cost $49.99, digital and physical retail, while the Deluxe Edition will be priced at $59.99. The Deluxe Edition will include the game’s official soundtrack composed by Justin Bell, composer of the soundtrack to the first Pillars of Eternity. Additionally, the Deluxe Edition includes: an in-game pet, a Deadfire themed special in-game item, a digital pen and paper RPG starter guide, a high-resolution game map, and Volume II of the digital guide book, published by Dark Horse.

The Obsidian Edition is priced at $74.99 for the digital version, and includes everything that comes in the Deluxe Edition as well as the first three DLC expansions for Pillars of Eternity II, which each cost $9.99 to purchase separately, although these will not be available for separate purchase until the game’s official launch.

The physical version of the Obsidian Edition will cost $79.99, and will include the same content as its digital cousin, but also additional, physical rewards: a cloth map of the Deadfire region, an Explorer’s notepad, and a set of postcards that render the Deadfire Archipelago in beautiful detail.

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire is our first sequel here at Obsidian and we’ve created something incredible. At Obsidian, we are all about stories, worlds, and characters, and in Deadfire we’ve done it again with a vast open world explorable by the player’s own customizable ship, character customization with enough options to make any RPG player want to make a hundred characters, and an exciting narrative that truly delivers on the reactivity that makes our games special. We’re confident that new and returning players will find Deadfire to be the RPG experience of the year,” said Obsidian Entertainment CEO Feargus Urquhart.​

In related news, for the past week Obsidian have been publishing a series of "Bestiary Entry" tweets on their World of Eternity Twitter account, showcasing various enemies from the game. That would be nice enough on its own, but an observant fan on the Obsidian forums has noticed that the animated GIFs from those tweets contain secret codes. What could they mean?

Last edited by a moderator:

Drowed

Arcane
MIInoJ5.png

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Always thought that 20 dollars for all Pillars II DLC was going to be a bargain in the Figstarter, now it's confirmed that everyone probably saved 20-30 dollars off the full DLC price by picking that option.

aratuk

Cipher
Looks like you can still get all DLC as a $20 add-on through the Obsidian backer portal if you already pledged.

Now maybe I will feel compelled to finally finish the first game…

ArchAngel

Arcane
So. They also decided to sell season pass but they are calling it differently.
Fuck em. I am not giving then a cent anymore anyways, they can rip off fools all they want.

Cross

Arcane
I guess the one positive thing of Josh 'Balance' Sawyer being in charge of a game is that pre-order items will be mostly cosmetic rather than obscenely overpowered gear.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Reposting from PoE2 thread, since not everyone interested reads that one:

If you want to pre-order the game (which you shouldn't, but I know the reality), GreenManGaming has it cheaper than Steam or GOG (at least for me), with additional 20% off, if you use voucher code "PAYDAY" during checkout.

y9Hu1Im.png

The voucher code should work for everyone, but who the hell knows.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Always thought that 20 dollars for all Pillars II DLC was going to be a bargain in the Figstarter, now it's confirmed that everyone probably saved 20-30 dollars off the full DLC price by picking that option.

Well, just $10 for now. I know I said "at least" but unless the game really sells like hotcakes, doesn't it seem more likely that it'll be just the three DLCs?

Prime Junta

Curious to see what they intend to do with those DLCs. At nine bux each they add up to 30, which is what WM1+2 cost. If it's similar in scope but just broken into three chapters rather than two, that could be good.

On the other hand, it could always be horse armour.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Curious to see what they intend to do with those DLCs. At nine bux each they add up to 30, which is what WM1+2 cost. If it's similar in scope but just broken into three chapters rather than two, that could be good.

Obsidian is not immune to cashing in, but I’ll eat my hat if they release any purely cosmetic DLC. I mean, come on. The White March expansions were better than the base game. The New Vegas expansions were incredible. The NWN2 expansions were what made NWN2 worth owning.

Have faith, comrade. Off the top of my head, I can’t think of anyone who does DLC better than Obsidian.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Obsidian is not immune to cashing in, but I’ll eat my hat if they release any purely cosmetic DLC. I mean, come on. The White March expansions were better than the base game. The New Vegas expansions were incredible. The NWN2 expansions were what made NWN2 worth owning.

Have faith, comrade. Off the top of my head, I can’t think of anyone who does DLC better than Obsidian.
Exactly. Especially after they did the DLC survey to get some data about the type of DLCs people like. I doubt the result of the survey was "we like horse armor DLC". Bitching about this is the usual Codex idiocy without having any proof of Obsidian fucking up DLCs.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
"Please book some free time for the April 3rd so that you can play a game you know is incomplete !"
This is why having a huge backlog is a good thing. I still haven't even played Original Sin 2. I think I will play PoE2 after patch v3.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Please book some free time for the April 3rd so that you can play a game you know is incomplete !"
Well, gives you reason to replay, at least.
Play once on release, play another time once all the additional content is out.

At least the first part didn't really warrant multiple playthroughs with the same content. Playing as a different character class just wasn't that different or rewarding.
Maybe once as a fighter type and once as a spellcaster.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
"as the first three DLC expansions for Pillars of Eternity II, which each cost $9.99 to purchase separately, although these will not be available for separate purchase until the game’s official launch."

Paradox is that girlfriend that was such a good fuck that even when you break up with her you end up seeing her face as you cum in your current girlfriends mouth...

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Pricing above D:OS2 for basic edition is laughable, absolutely nothing shown so far suggests they'll even come close to the production quality of Larian's game. I'll probably wait to see if those DLCs are really in line with the survey, or will they just shovel some high pitched trash like Firaxis did with Civ6 nation DLCs.

Prime Junta

I hope you folks are right about the DLC. The only thing that's giving me concern is Feargus's comments on how the WMs cost more to develop than they brought in, and that they want to go with smaller, episodic DLCs instead of full-blown expansions in the future.

I'm not terribly worried though, but we'll see.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom