Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I am a little surprised by the April 3rd release date. At the same, PoE2 beta is far more stable than the PoE1 beta. I remember PoE1 beta being far less stable and with more crashes, weird glitches, and combat issues (targeting, immortal summons, etc.). I still foresee Obsidian needing a 2.0 or 3.0 to sort out the decisions on wounds, resting, and stats.

Unless I missed an update, I dislike the fact that you can only get wounds from being knocked out, traps, or (mis)adventure panels. I still believe certain abilities should produce wounds, such as the Titan min-boss throw. I think that could solve the issue with resting being trivial. I do not know how hard (or impossible) that would be to mod in. Additionally, modding in more restrictions on food (quantities, costs, etc.).

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Wounds are pathetic, you only start worrying about them when you have 3 already and I've never had 3 in the beta ever. My PotD run ended with 3 characters with 1 wound each and that's only from the last fight. Since resting is virtually unlimited, it's kind of pointless to give more incentive to rest, it's vestigial and "just there". It's so inconsequential I'm flabbergasted.

So unless Sawyer has came up with solution to everything already, this won't be ready to play on release, hell, this probably won't be even ready to play by summer.

I'm pretty sure major changes in the vein of 1.0 -> 2.0 -> 3.0 won't happen until release. At most they'll tweak the numbers of spells and abilities, maybe change a few cast times for some spells and that's it. At this point in time, it's not that bad of an idea, they really don't have time to make sweeping changes to the whole system and the combat is essentially serviceable as is. Changes need to be made, but it's going to be playable and maybe a tiny little bit enjoyable at release either way.

Quillon

Arcane

Sawyer said:
Saints are defined more clearly in Vol. II of the Guidebook (coming soon). They are individuals revered by the laity of different religions for their exemplary character and actions. Thaos would not be considered a saint because no one really knows he exists/who he is.

What is important to note is that sainthood is a popular conception. It is not conferred by the word of god nor by a religious authority's process and proclamation.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...rid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=381#post480657986

Last edited:

frajaq

Erudite
Not sure what are you guys are panicking about. 2 months is plenty of time and Obsidian didn't have a buggy release since FNV.

Oh how soon we forget that horrible bug in PoE 1 launch where taking off certain equipment that gave bonuses crippled the character forever

I remember being really pissed off at having to restart because my main PC was basically fucked

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Oh how soon we forget that horrible bug in PoE 1 launch where taking off certain equipment that gave bonuses crippled the character forever

I remember being really pissed off at having to restart because my main PC was basically fucked

Lmao dude, if you actually had to restart, it's not because of bugs, it's because you're shit.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wonder if there'll be a Fig update today.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/95782-worldofeternity-funny-business-speculation/?p=1973053

The new string is "SHbEXB" by the way.

So in orded is BtF6nW w6Pd2u SHbEXB, six characters each.

Huh, the first of these was a GOG key for Trine 3. Coincidence? None of the others are GOG keys.

Last edited:

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/release-date/coming-soon/pc/date?page=1

So April 3 is two weeks after Ni No Kuni 2 and 1 week after Far Cry 5, but on the flipside it's well before E3 and should sail in clear winds Public relations wise. I reckon that first week of March would have been slightly better for sales but it's a question of whether the game is done in time (nope FF15 is out first week of March) . Overall April 3's a pretty good release date sales wise, Far Cry 5 is pretty big but the audience overlap won't be large.

Probably can't use the Tyranny excuse for this game of "it was released before Christmas." It's make sales at an acceptable percentage of Pillars of Eternity 1 or the RTWP experiment is dead time.

Last edited:

Gremius

Augur
Great news, aside from the ones about the DLCs.
I wanted just one good and big expansion, possibly post-ending or at least accessible from the main menu, instead of content like TWM which, even if it's very good, destroys the balance of the game and force me to reload an old save (which will have overleveled PCs) or start a new game and play for hours before I can even begin the DLC.
They pretty much already said they were going in this direction, but it's still pretty disappointing, considering the survey they did just months ago and how people react to it (aka we want big expansions, not many small DLCs).

I want a fucking MotB, not Honest Hearts, Old World Blues and Lonesome Roads. :negative:

@ObsidianEric
We are aware that players didn't like the White March story being in the middle when it was released so long after Pillars I came out. We're taking that into account for our DLC plan for Pillars II. :)

More AMA here

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Wait is Eric Fenstermakre back at Obsidian? Or is that a different Eric

I don't see why they need to cut in DLC when they can easily just have a post game "yo sail your boat over the horizon to our generic DLC area, unlike the previous game where there was a hard ending." They have probably just made the ending more accommodating to DLCs, which probably ruled out all sorts of twist endings when you think about it.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
If you want to pre-order the game (which you shouldn't, but I know the reality), GreenManGaming has it cheaper than Steam or GOG (at least for me), with additional 20% off, if you use voucher code "PAYDAY" during checkout.

upload_2018-1-26_5-31-14.png

The voucher code should work for everyone, but who the hell knows.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom