Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Recommendations

Taelyn

Literate
Hi. I am very new to RPGs, I've only been playing the ones like these for a year or two lol. I really liked Baldur's Gate, does anyone have any recommendations for me?

Alkarl

Learned
Might & Magic series (I highly recommend 6 if you only have time for one atm)

Goldbox D&D games (Pool of Radiance for sure)

Wizardry 6-7-8 (Picking one over the other is like forcing me to pick between my kids .. Go with 7!)

Demon's Souls (For some hacky-slashy fun, I personally prefer Demon's over any other entry)

Ultima 4 (I submit this one to everyone, especially if you're interested in game design)

Ultima Underworld (Its a good old game, just try it)

Fallout (The first one is certainly worth it's mileage)

Other than that, check the top 50/70 list here on the Codex.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 1 and 2
Mount & Blade: Warband
Knights of the Chalice
Caves of Qud
The Witcher Series (Play the third if you don't want to play the others)
Underrail
Brouge
The Banner Saga 1 and 2 (3 is coming out this year)
Icewind Dale 1 and 2

Last edited:

Alex

Arcane
Ultima series is pretty good, although the first three games are very different from what it becomes. The game worlds are very well fleshed out and it is a lot of fun to explore them. I recommend all of them up to the 8th game. Ultima 8 had a huge change in tone and gameplay, much for the worse. But even it has a lot of interesting places and NPCs; and the magic system is pretty neat. The Ultima Underworld games are also very well made, although they play very differently.

Fallout has been mentioned, but it bears repeating. Many of the game's problems and quests have several solutions and the game rewards you for paying attention, exploring the world and trying different builds. Some people don't like that the main quest of the game is timed, but I think it actually makes the game better.

Quest for Glory series mix RPG with Adventure gameplay. Mind you, both genres are very related, I think, but by doing so explicitly, and expertly, Quest for Glory manages to create very interesting gameworlds. In these games, you get to choose a class and your abilities will be very different depending on whether you are a wizard, a thief or a warrior (and later on, a paladin). I recommend playing through the original versions of QfG1 and QfG2, since they used a parser instead of an action system (look, take, use, etc). The Heroine's Quest game (which is free) is a very well made game in the same vein and definitely worth playing.

Daggerfall is the second "The Elder Scrolls" game. This game gives you an enormous swath of options making and playing your character. You can create your own custom class during character creation, with the possibility of choosing from several bonuses and penalties, which increase and reduce (respectively) how much XP you need to advance a level. There is a complex guild system where you can get access to several powerful services, such as the spellmaker (which allows you to create your own spells) and trainers (who can train your skills for gold). Daggerfall is an ambitious project that probably didn't manage to deliver half of what it wanted to do. Although the game is huge (there are hundreds of cities you can visit), it also gets very repetitive (most of the game was generated randomly, although the maps are static, the layout doesn't get regenerated). While it has other flaws as well, it is definitely worth a couple of plays!

Gothic is a game series that focuses on exploration, and reward the player for going out of his way to explore the world. The character system is a bit basic and the game can become monotonous at times, but it is still a very good series. Risen was made by the same devs and follows a very similar style to Gothic, by the way.

There are many AD&D games from SSI that are worth playing, like the so called "gold box" titles. One I think should be mentioned is the Dark Sun game (and its sequel, Dark Sun 2). They are easy to play and just follow through and while the exploration aspect of the game suffers sometimes, it is still a very fun game to mess around with.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
Daddy Dating Simulator

:troll:

Of course, OP might like it...
:codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

Also, is this a serious post? It has never been asked here before.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
The people in these threads, lol. Oh well...

If you liked BG then the games that most closely resemble that are Dark Souls, Legend of Grimrock and Undertale...

Expon

Scholar
Yo, Expon, why did you disagree with my recommendation? I'm interested in hearing your point of view.
Arcanum is the type of game where the gameplay is harder to appreciate/tolerate depending on games you played before. op said he enjoyed baldurs gate and that game is mostly combat and exploration while arcanum is more on dialogue and rpg elements while not doing well in other parts (the real time combat would feel awkward coming from baldurs gate and turn based mode isn't anything special). it would be better for him to play fallout 1 instead as that game is rather similar to arcanum and if he ends up liking fallout, it'll be easy to easier to look past arcanum flaw and instead focus on the game strengths rather than weakness.

Morkar Left

Final Fantasy 7
Torment: Tides of Numenera
PANIC at Multiverse High!

Start playing right now and thank me later!

Deleted Member 16721

Morrowind - the single-player, action version of Baldur's Gate (or a D&D campaign in general. Very similar.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom