Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, that poll could still encourage them to try to make those three DLCs as large as possible (and increases the chance it'll just be three DLCs, unless the game really hits it big)

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
I still don't know if I wanna pick up this at launch, GMG currently has a voucher that will bring down the standard edition to $40 and the obsidian edition to $60

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Called the release date announcement on their forum. Then again, it was fairly obvious why they were closing the backer portal.

For anyone interested, greenmangaming.com sent me an email about pre-ordering this for 20% off.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I still don't know if I wanna pick up this at launch, GMG currently has a voucher that will bring down the standard edition to $40 and the obsidian edition to $60

Nobody can answer that question. PoE's problem, which still persists to this day and makes me convulse with sheer disappointment, was that the content was just not good. The only good (relatively speaking) dungeons of the base game were the Temple of Eothas and Raedric's, that's a terrible track record for such a long game. It's not only the dungeons, though, it's that the whole game is crammed with boring, unimaginative and filler quests that sap your life and your willingness to continue. The terrible combat just made things worse and that feeling of wasting your time and your bones rattling with boredom was the only thing I got out of it. Which is awful. While the combat may be close to serviceable in the beta now doesn't mean the content will be there to support it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It's not so simple. It's not only that casters are underpowered, melee are overpowered compared to the content as well, not only compared to casters. If they try to buff casters to the level of the melee, the whole game will be one big snooze-fest. I think the combat is to the point of being good enough if the numbers as tweaked. They definitely won't have enough time to rework the Empower mechanic, which is where most of the problems lie, so melee will still have that over the casters, but it's going to be fine, not great or mind-blowing, but usable for now, they'll have time to tweak stuff more after it's released.
On what difficulty the battles are easy,also didn't you say that you skipped some kind of battle because it was too hard? I couldn't understand what the empower system is,wouldn't you mind giving me a few pointers on the matter? I always see the mages as the late game nukes.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The one thing that I am think is if the price tag will scare away potential customers.

Lacrymas

Arcane
On what difficulty the battles are easy,also didn't you say that you skipped some kind of battle because it was too hard? I couldn't understand what the empower system is,wouldn't you mind giving me a few pointers on the matter? I always see the mages as the late game nukes.

On every difficulty, including PotD. I didn't skip fights because they were too hard, I think I was telling Sizzle that I skipped an optional fight because the monster offered me fish instead of trying to fight me. The difficulty relies entirely on what party you have, melee-heavy = boredom town, caster-heavy = some fights are almost impossible. If they buff the casters to the level of melee you'll steamroll everything even on PotD. The Empower mechanic either resets your per-encounter abilities so you can use them again in the same encounter or boosts one of your spells/abilities by +10 power levels (which is wonky). In theory it sounds bad, in practice it kind of works, but only for the casters and that's a problem. Casters are intentionally shitty so you have incentive to use your Empowers and rest, but melee don't have this limitation at all and Empower is barely useful for them, so they have insane steady damage without any drawbacks.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
how does the beta run outside of the combat? is it possible that most things are good and that they can actually just spend 2 months working on the combat to be ready for release?

I don't want to have to wait a year for :balance:

Lacrymas

Arcane
It does seem promising tbh. I'm a bit more excited for its release now that I've played the beta because it indeed looks like it has potential, so that says a lot.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
3rd April launch? Seriously? I have baaaaaaad feeling about this. I mean, ofc I hope that everything would be ok, but on other side memories about bugs in first game warn me that fuck ups unavoidable in rushed development. Personally I would be ok, if they move release on winter/fall, quality> speed.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So when you whack with st. Drogga's skull you do slash damage, and when you stick someone with it you burn them.

Why didn't they add a blunt side that you can use to hammer the steaks with?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
On every difficulty, including PotD. I didn't skip fights because they were too hard, I think I was telling Sizzle that I skipped an optional fight because the monster offered me fish instead of trying to fight me. The difficulty relies entirely on what party you have, melee-heavy = boredom town, caster-heavy = some fights are almost impossible. If they buff the casters to the level of melee you'll steamroll everything even on PotD. The Empower mechanic either resets your per-encounter abilities so you can use them again in the same encounter or boosts one of your spells/abilities by +10 power levels (which is wonky). In theory it sounds bad, in practice it kind of works, but only for the casters and that's a problem. Casters are intentionally shitty so you have incentive to use your Empowers and rest, but melee don't have this limitation at all and Empower is barely useful for them, so they have insane steady damage without any drawbacks.
Lol that mechanic seems shit and pointless. It seems that its whole purpose is to offset the resting mechanic. Which i find retarded,it makes absolutely no sense to have only few packs of food when you are able to run around with half a ton of junk.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Regarding playing on release day: I'll do it, knowing what I am getting myself into. Then I'll do a replay when all DLC is released.

Rev

Arcane
Great news, aside from the ones about the DLCs.
I wanted just one good and big expansion, possibly post-ending or at least accessible from the main menu, instead of content like TWM which, even if it's very good, destroys the balance of the game and force me to reload an old save (which will have overleveled PCs) or start a new game and play for hours before I can even begin the DLC.
They pretty much already said they were going in this direction, but it's still pretty disappointing, considering the survey they did just months ago and how people react to it (aka we want big expansions, not many small DLCs).

I want a fucking MotB, not Honest Hearts, Old World Blues and Lonesome Roads. :negative:

Lacrymas

Arcane
I'd think a relic of a saint should be found by exploring, not handed out like candy just because.

Mazisky

Magister
Great news, aside from the ones about the DLCs.
I wanted just one good and big expansion, possibly post-ending or at least accessible from the main menu, instead of content like TWM which, even if it's very good, destroys the balance of the game and force me to reload an old save (which will have overleveled PCs) or start a new game and play for hours before I can even begin the DLC.
They pretty much already said they were going in this direction, but it's still pretty disappointing, considering the survey they did just months ago and how people react to it (aka we want big expansions, not many small DLCs).

I want a fucking MotB, not Honest Hearts, Old World Blues and Lonesome Roads. :negative:

I prefere integrated content rather than standalone, expecially in an open world, which can be filled with many more stuff.

For standalone post content there are sequels.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Not sure what are you guys are panicking about. 2 months is plenty of time and Obsidian didn't have a buggy release since FNV.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Here's hoping the keys will be sent out in a timely fashion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom