Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN So how do you really feel about Neverwinter Nights 1?

Which NWN campaigns did you like?

• Neverwinter Nights

Votes: 18 20.0%
  • Shadows of Undrentide

Votes: 47 52.2%
  • Hordes of the Underdark

Votes: 65 72.2%
  • Kingmaker (and/or other premium modules)

Votes: 26 28.9%

• Total voters

McPlusle

Savant
I haven't played NWN since like 2005 but I remember its campaign being Bioware's most generic to date by miles. Looking back, it feels like it was shoehorned into the game during crunch time after they got the multiplayer and toolkit stuff finished. But I only played the vanilla campaign. Apparently the expansions were more well-liked. Should I go for them? I've had the Diamond Edition for a few years but never touched it.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Eh, I liked the game for the staggering number of online multiplayer shard type servers out there. Just powergamers playing up modded maps up to level 40 or so. I liked it for what it allowed and represented, but the original game was kinda dull. The game itself (once patched) was an interesting engine with a meh story.

Duckard

Augur
Disappointed after BGII. Never cared about or played the multiplayer. Not a fan of single character combat without realtime control.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Expansions and premium modules are all far more interesting and worth playing unlike OC which is pure garbage.

The game will always have a fond place in my heart due it with its fan made modules being a main source of RPG fix during the great RPG drought.

Cael

Arcane
I played the OC in order to hear Aribeth say the words 'Waterdhavian creatures' again and again in that sexy voice of hers.
Really? I hated her voice in the OC. She was always on the verge of screaming and her urgency was so faked that it wasn't funny. Then again, other than the NPC companions, few, if any, of the VAs were any good.

Modron

Arcane
One of my biggest gaming disappointments the oc was, it did produce a lot of interesting modules in the long run but boy was it a letdown back when it first game out.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
nn4.jpg

An interesting attempt to convert the Gold Box engine into an on-line multiplayer format. Pity Clyde Caldwell's cover art (originally used for module I11 Needle in 1987) was cropped to such an extent.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Most shit camera ever
You're mistaking it with NWN2. NWN1 had excellent camera.

OC was pretty bad, yes. But the expansions, and HotU in particular, were great. The character building rules and epic level progression were awesome as well (NWN2 borked epic level rules). Animations were good ("dance of death"). There are many great player created modules as well.

And it has a special place in my heart and on my top-10 list after spending 5 years on a Persistant World server. No other game ever had me invest even 20% of the time NWN1 did.

Bocian

Arcane
And it has a special place in my heart and on my top-10 list after spending 5 years on a Persistant World server. No other game ever had me invest even 20% of the time NWN1 did.

This, would fist if I could. There are still PW's available, that are worth the time. Also it's amazing what modders did with the original game and how much custom content was added.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Perhaps the worst RPG I have every played. Everything was so incredibly bland and boring that every time I attempted playing it, I would get so tired that I had to turn it off after twenty minutes or so. Thats the exact opposite of entertainment.

Alkarl

Learned
It's up there with some of the strangest shit I've ever played. The UI is terrible and those graphics are among the jankiest of early 3D I've seen. That isn't to say I hate it though. I'm not really sure how I feel about it. I think I enjoy HoTU, but the rest is so strange being D&D built around a party of basically one. It perfectly encapsulates my feelings towards the de-evolution of gaming to be sure. I mean, going from goldbox and controlling a party of up to 8 against armies and battalions of evil to one dude in a hallway against a couple umberhulks. I can't give a fresh opinion though since I can't get the damn thing to launch anymore! (Windows 10, fml)

d1nolore

Savant
The Original campaign was good when the graphics were good and the game new, hard to stomach now though.
SoU was OK.
HotU was pretty good.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Btw I voted Kingmaker by mistake, I thought it was Kingcomrade...which is missing from the poll options.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
It's up there with some of the strangest shit I've ever played. The UI is terrible and those graphics are among the jankiest of early 3D I've seen. That isn't to say I hate it though. I'm not really sure how I feel about it. I think I enjoy HoTU, but the rest is so strange being D&D built around a party of basically one. It perfectly encapsulates my feelings towards the de-evolution of gaming to be sure. I mean, going from goldbox and controlling a party of up to 8 against armies and battalions of evil to one dude in a hallway against a couple umberhulks. I can't give a fresh opinion though since I can't get the damn thing to launch anymore! (Windows 10, fml)

To launch NWN in Windows 10:

Find the "nwn.exe," right-click on it and go to Properties. Click on the Compatibility tab. Set the version of Windows to "Windows XP Service Pack 3." Not sure why, but it seems to be the only one that works. Also, for good measure, set it to have Administrator rights and click the box to Override DPS Scaling settings (as I've seen the game be incorrectly scaled in 1920x1080 and above).

Edit:
I just realized that the file you should do this to is actually “nwnmain.exe” and probably not “nwn.exe,” so if the above doesn’t work, try it on that file instead...

Last edited:

Mustawd

I have tried a few times to get into NWN and each time I fail within a few hours. Granted, part of the problem is I always try to start with the OC, but that's my prerogative.

Apart from the campaign's content, I'll just echo what others have said. The camera is horrid. The UI doesn't do anything to help either. And finally, the combat is just not my cup of tea.

Yes, I dislike RTwP combat in rpgs, but the IE games did it much better IMO. I was watching a Lilura video the other day and I was just struck how MMO-like the combat of NWN is.

One of these days I'll be able to finally get into it, but in the meantime I'm in no rush.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I haven't played NWN since like 2005 but I remember its campaign being Bioware's most generic to date by miles. Looking back, it feels like it was shoehorned into the game during crunch time after they got the multiplayer and toolkit stuff finished. But I only played the vanilla campaign. Apparently the expansions were more well-liked. Should I go for them? I've had the Diamond Edition for a few years but never touched it.

In a lot of intangible ways they remind me of HBS' Shadowrun trilogy, such as comfortable mediocrity of original campaign vs. high quality content of later additions. If you liked those, you will probably like Neverwinter Nights.

Might want to start with Shadows of Undrentide though. It's the same PC as in Hordes of the Underdark and you can save/import your "final battle" character in Undrentide to use in Hordes of the Underdark.

Kind of a funny story, actually. Bioware made the OC and then pushed the expansion onto a different company. Then when they decided they wanted to make an expansion of their own they continued the story of the first expansion rather than the OC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom