Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Most recent end 90s style FPS

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
so is it brain dead shooting or does it actually have good ai

make up your mind newfag

Well I suppose for an average casual fps player this game would be good in terms of just shooting challenge but I played so many fps games competitively it makes little difference what AI does. In fact I think once your aim is good enough it is really hard to keep interest in solo fps games. But this isn't games fault so in that sense you may be right.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Forget about recent FPS and just play doom wads. There are literary dozens of quality megawads for Doom and Doom 2 that can provide endless hours of fun. And the wad scene is still strong still producing great new content, so you're set for good.

Antigoon

Augur
Forget about recent FPS and just play doom wads. There are literary dozens of quality megawads for Doom and Doom 2 that can provide endless hours of fun. And the wad scene is still strong still producing great new content, so you're set for good.
Yeah sure that would work. But sometimes whenever I feel very adventurous and think it might be a good idea to try some new FPS, I get sentimental and miss my 90s shooter in today's gaming world.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
Speaking of Doom, I like some of the mechanical conversions available for the game. High Noon Drifter has a really nice feel to it, esp. if you grew up with a Clint Eastwood fascination, there's this thing that's trying to achieve stylish action a la Devil May Cry. There's also one that's well made and lets you play any .wad with a Metroid chassis to it.

Ash

Arcane
Forget about recent FPS and just play doom wads all old school classics and the work their respective modding communities.

Fix'd

Doom, Duke, STALKER and Half-Life all have variably huge modding communities. Blood, Shadow Warrior, RTCW and others have smaller yet still notable efforts.

I only played original FEAR but god damn that was the most overrated game ive ever seen. Walk around linear uninspired corridors brain-dead shoot the same looking guys in mask and occasionally get "frightened" by a little creepy girl. Legit curious what the fuck people who praise it like about it except AI..

My thoughts too. But I can tell you people like it for its AI and slow-mo blasting. Massively overrated though and highly simplistic and repetitive gameplay. Still better than most shooters since though.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
F.E.A.R. has some satisfying gunplay, and the clever level layouts combined with the A.I. make for some really entertaining firefights. When it comes to shooting stuff, few games do it better. On the other hand the levels are visually and thematically really repetitive, the horror elements are totally worthless, and the game could use a bit more enemy variety. It's a one-trick pony, but it does that one trick exceptionally well.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
I beat F.E.A.R. on max difficulty without using slo-mo at all a few years ago and it was very satisfying.
Then I beat Extraction Point and it sucked because apparently the devs didn't know how LithTech works and there were many moments where fps would go down to 17 on every rig I tried.
Didn't bother beating Perseus Mandate.
Yeah sure that would work. But sometimes whenever I feel very adventurous and think it might be a good idea to try some new FPS, I get sentimental and miss my 90s shooter in today's gaming world.
Well, I guess 'new' can also mean 'something you've never tried before', eh?
Have you played Requiem: Avenging Angel? Tetsujin? Gunmetal? The Wheel of Time?

grimace

Arcane
This Rise of the Triad game has been fun.

Finished-thumbnail-rott-2013.png

Antigoon

Augur
I beat F.E.A.R. on max difficulty without using slo-mo at all a few years ago and it was very satisfying.
Then I beat Extraction Point and it sucked because apparently the devs didn't know how LithTech works and there were many moments where fps would go down to 17 on every rig I tried.
Didn't bother beating Perseus Mandate.
Well, I guess 'new' can also mean 'something you've never tried before', eh?
Have you played Requiem: Avenging Angel? Tetsujin? Gunmetal? The Wheel of Time?
Yeah Wheel of Time etc were pretty much the last FPS I played day 1, mp I stopped with the bf1942 demo. Next thing I know were achievements, collectables and super linear levels.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
For me the end was in 2004 with Quake 4 and MoH: Pacific Assault.

But as mentioned above there's lots of good user made stuff for the good old FPSes.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

It's got your handcrafted labyrinthian full 3D level design w/ loads of enemy types w/ good AI w/ multiplayer at launch w/ classic Descent gameplay w/ secret levels w/ VR support w/ multiple controller type support and so on
Nothing much to complain about aside it running on Unity, the available levels in Early Access are pretty good and release is slated May/June on all platforms. Seriously, this is probably the only FPS in years to actually resemble the shooters of yore rather than being a pale imitation or a misguided clusterfuck.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
If you feel like rolling back in time a bit: Often missed because it was originally released for apple os' (would have never known myself about it if it weren't for a mac-fag friend), the Marathon trilogy was some of the FPS goodness from that era.
As opposed to many games in the same style, it also features quite an engrossing story.

You can get them here
http://trilogyrelease.bungie.org/
https://alephone.lhowon.org/

octavius

Arcane
Patron
And if you get seasick from the head bobbing, there's a very smooth Unreal Tournament remake of the first Marathon game.

Doom, Doom2 and Quake have no cutscenes not because they are old or because id was working on a low budget.
The reason is John Carmack's game design philosophy of "no bullshit, straight to the action", which he sadly gave up on later and focused only on tech.

I was reminded of this when I tried Descent (temporary of the above-mentioned games) recently and had to wade through endless story or whatever just to get to the actual game itself.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Hmm...either I didn't find that option, or else I didn't realize it was the head bobbing that made me seasick.

7h30n

Augur
Of the recent "90s" style FPS I've played, Serius Sam 3 and Wrack were good enough. Otherwise, I stick with the 90s shooters from the 90s... :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom