Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Paul_cz

Arcane
Well, companies that make good games don't last long. Anyway, we are getting 1-person CRPG, even if they bankrupt after release it's still an event worth celebration.
:positive:
KCD is an arpg.
Is a game that can be finished with only killing one person ARPG? I would assume that action is an intrinsic part of ARPG.
I would characterize KCD more like a mix between Immersive Sim and RPG.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The action in arpg just refers to combat type, not the frequency of it. NV could be completed without killing anyone too.

I agree that immersive sim is a better descriptor than arpg for KCD.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
This game's visuals got a serious downgrade.

I can't help but feel this is a disaster waiting to happen. I like Vavra and Mafia is one of my fav games but I just can't get rid of this bad feeling I have about this game. Story sounds dull, the combat system looks clunky as fuck, the dialogue animations are terrible, the voice acting is serviceable... nothing really seems interesting about it other than riding a horse through 1403 Bohemia.

I hope I'm wrong though.

Is there any footage of the actual PC version of the game, not the beta?

Visuals in videos sure don't quite look as good as they do in screenshots on steam page.

ss_01dea4f433b9dcf121a3120c6c36712dc136c63a.jpg

ss_52d6e7de0cfc2b85883504985b72947c3c1fbe07.jpg

ss_5f40da78018a00d4f6a21e0d5e35703ebdf4c219.jpg

ss_4de21d770341cb00323dfef16b9c254cb4a082c5.jpg

Main requirement for me in visuals is that they wouldn't be distracting, meaning I mostly want good AA that prevents shimmering, decent draw distance and shadow distance/transitions.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
So for people who played this shit on EA/Beta or whatever: How was the performance on PC? I'm worried my toaster might now handle this
The one a year or two ago? I'm pretty certain it ran like total ass back then but a lot has changed, that beta was basically just a vertical slice. I hope the game is good and does great because I love Daniel Vavra, but it's gameplay might be a bit weak.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It wont sell

Yep, that's almost certain. They made an intentionally niche game.

Then again intentionally niche games can become surprising cults. Witcher 1 or Demon's Souls were complete flops on release. Both spawned some of the most influential and popular RPG series of all times.

Then again a lot of games were complete flops and later spawned jackshit. So let's wait and see.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Paul_cz

Arcane
It wont sell

Yep, that's almost certain. They made an intentionally niche game.

Then again intentionally niche games can become surprising cults. Witcher 1 or Demon's Souls were complete flops on release. Both spawned some of the most influential and popular RPG series of all times.

Then again a lot of games were complete flops and later spawned jackshit. So let's wait and see.

Witcher 1 was not a flop, it sold 600,000 copies in first three months, before major discounts. That was a huge fucking success that allowed them to splurge not just on Witcher 2 on new engine but also the console port, which then almost bankrupted them.

If KCD sells 600,000 copies in three months, I think Warhorse would survive.

And I disagree with the notion that KCD is some "niche" game that should not sell. I mean, it is a first person open world RPG with great graphics. Pretty much the definition of mass market appealing game.

What makes it "niche" (and niche is wrong word, I would say unique) is the historical setting and focus on realism. Which admittedly might limit its appeal among the "love fantasy, hate everything else" types, but who cares.

The bigger problem is lack of marketing.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I stand corrected then.

Also Warhorse certainly didn't intend to make a low-selling game. But not giving players an escapist, powerfantasy type experience and replacing the traditional ancient evil plot with a complex story about Czech-German relations in the 15th century is extremely risky sales-wise. Still, as a supporter from the get go I wish them the best of success ofc.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
That PoE almost ruined your street cred bro but luckily Elex tipped the scales.
Honestly PoE is getting a lot of shit but the world is far better with it in. I do think we should support rpg devs unless their games are utter shit. The game is not some great masterpiece,but it is a game that i don't regret buying. I would ratter have an arcanum level of games but we got this,far better than the drought that was a decade ago. Thanks to PoE we do have a lot of good/decent rpgs. They did revitalised the rpg even if the game is not great.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
And I disagree with the notion that KCD is some "niche" game that should not sell. I mean, it is a first person open world RPG with great graphics. Pretty much the definition of mass market appealing game.

Mass "market appeal" is more complicated than that.

- non-fantasy setting
- low* magic
- no dragons or romances
- perceived as difficult to approach

Witcher for example had a very strong local market in Poland. Does similar one exist for this one in the Czech Republic?

An outlier is always a possibility, but you have to agree that the odds are stacked against Warhorse. From a business perspective, this is a high risk, low return kind of a project. Since it is kind of an untapped potential, there is the slim chance that suddenly it will sell tons of copies (see Legend of Grimrock).

*) boozemancy excluded

Unwanted

MI.Tex

Unwanted

Paul_cz

Arcane

Mass "market appeal" is more complicated than that.

- non-fantasy setting
- low* magic
- no dragons or romances
- perceived as difficult to approach

Witcher for example had a very strong local market in Poland. Does similar one exist for this one in the Czech Republic?

An outlier is always a possibility, but you have to agree that the odds are stacked against Warhorse. From a business perspective, this is a high risk, low return kind of a project. Since it is kind of an untapped potential, there is the slim chance that suddenly it will sell tons of copies (see Legend of Grimrock).

*) boozemancy excluded

There is actually a possible romance in KCD :)

I don't know. On one hand, yes, fantasy and dragons and shit are mass market, but I still think if KCD was made by someone like, I dunno, Blizzard or Rockstar or whatever, with corresponding marketing budget, it would be hyperhyped despite its historical setting and lack of fantasy.

Dexter

Arcane
I think it'll have a large market in the countries that Gothic and The Witcher usually sell in (Germany, Poland, Czechia for Home Advantage, maybe Eastern Europe/Russia since they love historical stuff like Cossacks), enough to make them back the development budget and some profit. Whether it becomes a "runaway success" internationally or gets big attention in the US and other markets and on consoles is doubtful.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Honestly PoE is getting a lot of shit but the world is far better with it in.
Care to elaborate? World gained nothing by having PoE, it isn't good enough to be remembered, it's not good for what it is and isn't revolutionary in any regard.

It was an isometric CRPG that turned a (big) profit. A real RPG that’s commercially viable is a net positive.

Anyone who likes the genre should be glad Pillars exist even if they hate the game itself.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
I stand corrected then.

Also Warhorse certainly didn't intend to make a low-selling game. But not giving players an escapist, powerfantasy type experience and replacing the traditional ancient evil plot with a complex story about Czech-German relations in the 15th century is extremely risky sales-wise. Still, as a supporter from the get go I wish them the best of success ofc.

Two words: The Sims

Deadass

Savant
i backed this game 4 years ago if it turns out to be shit i'll kill the codex

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom