Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex's 2017 GOTY - VOTE NOW!

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
So, is Bloodbowl an RPG now?

According to this site and the poll creator, if it is a video game there is a 99% chance it is also an rpg. Its like Antifa and white supremacists.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Just imagine if things where shit back then
Oh, BUT THEY WERE!

I don't remember if pokeman was around in 2005 or not, so you may not have found your rpg roots yet. But thank God you and your ilk of child game like pokeman Bronies stuck to general game sites back then. It looks like you joined with the wave of fucking idiots that caused me to leave. This used to be like a semi-refined gentleman's club filled with some people who genuinely liked rpgs, and then a ton of fucking idiots that thought they did. Your wave of retards was like the annoying form of females that force their way into gentleman's clubs and then ruin them with your presence out of retarded spite since you never really wanted to hang with semi-refined gentleman. All you want to do is dress up like a fucking pony and play pokeman. You and your retard kid console game loving ilk just have to ruin everything that is right and pure just to do it. And if all of you guys inability to understand what an rpg is wasn't bad enough, you fucking awful pieces of shit have to go the extra mile and heap as much shit onto real rpgs as possible with your horrible kid console game loving bullshit.

I don't want to come off as a jerk or anything but I hope you and your kind die of AIDS. And ebola. I'm not sure if AIDS is fatal anymore so ebola is the insurance. Or maybe raped to death at one of your Brony pokeman parties.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I've only played one of those games. I guess Battle Brothers is my 2017 GOTY by default.

sstacks

Arcane
What is being done to counter the fact that more niche games are played by fewer people, but they are played by people who enjoy that type of game and will be likely to rate them higher?
The same thing I've done in the past: Bayesian Average.

Also, graphs like this:

15465.jpg

because-math-and-stuff.jpg

sstacks

Arcane
Welp, I'm gonna get pilloried again. The only game on the list I've actually played was TTON, so it was all I could vote on in good conscience.

I own D:OS 2 and Tyranny but haven't had a chance to play them.

I realized looking through the list every other CRPG I played this year was either retro or else some sort of beta or preview that wasn't officially released. At first I was thinking wait! Seige of Dragonspear why isn't that on the list... but it actually came out in 2016... :eek:

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The most disappointing thing is that Underrail didn't exploit the free opportunity for a win in this most prestigious of polls by actually delivering its expansion on time

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Just realized, that by avoiding major stinkers I barely played 5 games from the whole list. Also since when is Pyre an RPG?
It's markekted as an RPG, has leveling, character building, and a reactive narrative. As RPG as it gets, the only thing it does differently is that conflict is resolved through a sports game.
So essentially it's getting a pass over a technicality, given how barebones the aforementioned systems are. Levelling boils down to picking a skill out of 8 possibilities, and the narrative only lets you decide whether you go to location A or B. Don't even get me started on the sports part.

kris

Arcane
Seeing as I only played one of those games up to this point of time I can only abstain. I am 1-2 years late on playing many games, recently sat down with Neo scavanger for a bit.

At least that means I get many cheap or with extras included.

not saying that Nier Automata is a bad game at all (far from it) but how is it considered an RPG

anyway Divinity 2 should win that even with horrible ARPG-like items
Is it supposed to be an RPG only list? Why's Destiny 2 there then?
maxresdefault.jpg

Looks like an RPG to me!

Incidentally, the optimal way of using RPGs is to use the ability that creates a barrier that instantly refills your magazine when you crouch behind it.

:popamole:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
the narrative only lets you decide whether you go to location A or B.

I recall reading that the story changes based on how many of your people survive, and the game doesn't allow reloading. :M

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
the narrative only lets you decide whether you go to location A or B.

I recall reading that the story changes based on how many of your people survive, and the game doesn't allow reloading. :M
It's one of the 5 games I actually played, because I adored their previous titles (though i wouldn't call them RPGs either), and the game has a really cheap game loop where you do the same world tour over and over again, eventually getting to save a single character at the end of every one. It's the most repetitive and boring sports game since god damn blitzball. I got three characters before deleting the game forever, and even if there is some ending variety depending on who you save (there is a limit apparently) I didn't manage to see it, despite rolling the whole game world back and forth THREE times. The narratives are mostly just few lines of text, and at some point they don't even present much story. Sure some characters are quite interesting, but it's more like an adventure/interactive novel with a sports minigame, and the character development feels more like expansion to the minigame's rules, as it changes nothing outside of it. Definitely the biggest disappointment of the year for me.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Let's make a rule that if there's jumping involved or parkour, it's a 3-D action game with rpg elements, not a 3-D RPG. I know that discounts Bloodlines, but so be it. I love Bloodlines but the only thing that makes it different from GTA is the WoD setting + WoD character sheet, and that it was made by Troika. Which makes it no different than the Shadowrun FPS.

3-D RPG - NWN, NWN 2
3-D Action Game with RPG Elements - Bloodlines, New Vegas, Assassin's Creed, Breath of the Wild
3-D Action Game - GTA V, GTA San Andreas, Doom, Halo, Prince of Persia, Thief

RPG Codex, let us make this our stand, our line in the sand. Jump no more.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
3-D Action Game with RPG Elements - Bloodlines, New Vegas, Assassin's Creed, Breath of the Wild
New Vegas is a full blown RPG, your character skills determine your outcome for different situations, the game is a RPG with shooter elements in a 3D open world.
Only played a tiny bit of Ass Creed but I'm pretty certain its RPG elements end at a inventory and upgrade system, same with BotW.

3-D Action Game - GTA V, GTA San Andreas, Doom, Halo, Prince of Persia, Thief
How is Thief an action game? The objective of the game is NOT to be caught as it makes the game more difficult, it's a first person stealth game.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
There are games made for people who like classic cRPGs and games made for people who hate them. Many games made around 2000s are borderline (and so are a few very recent ones by the way) but basically every cRPG made after those and not made by Jeff Vogel or another dude in his basement and every game mentioned by Jason Liang is clearly in the second category, if people want to call them RPGs then good for them but that doesn't raise my interest for these.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Honestly,don't care what the rest of the world calls it,as long as i enjoy it. RPG is game where you can play a role and have character building(stats) in one way or another! All the shit people are nagging about here are sub genres. Don't know what kind of special person you have to be to not be able to understand what "role playing game" is. It is like Sargon going on and asking a hundred times "What is a white person?".

Ruzen

Savant
>I like Alan Wake.
>I like roleplaying as him.
>Walking while exploring, running when monsters chasing.
>Turning my flashlight in fear as I hear a sudden crack at back.
>Alan Wake allows me to RP by giving details I can explore, a rich story, a walking toggle, and challenging gameplay.
>So I think it was the best RPG game of 2012.
:vivelafrance:

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Just realized, that by avoiding major stinkers I barely played 5 games from the whole list. Also since when is Pyre an RPG?
It's markekted as an RPG, has leveling, character building, and a reactive narrative. As RPG as it gets, the only thing it does differently is that conflict is resolved through a sports game.
So essentially it's getting a pass over a technicality, given how barebones the aforementioned systems are. Levelling boils down to picking a skill out of 8 possibilities, and the narrative only lets you decide whether you go to location A or B. Don't even get me started on the sports part.

Sounds awfully lot like Mass Effect.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom