Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPS Ranks the top 50 strategy games of all time

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Hey that list is not bad at all. The Codex made a list in 2010/2011 that was pretty similar:

#1: Jagged Alliance
#2: SMAC
#3: UFO: ENEMY UNKNOWN
#4: HoMM III
#5: Master of Orion II: Battle at Antares
#6: Civilization II
#7: StarCraft
#8: Civilization IV
#9: Master of Magic
#10: Europa Universalis III

Source: http://www.tacticularcancer.com/content.php?id=70

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I am extremely triggered. They listed Starcraft 2, but not Broodwar. They listed Warcraft 3, but not Warcraft 2. I didn't see Age of Empires, and HoMM3 is not in the top 20.

Jason Liang

Arcane
He mentions Brood War in the StarCraft 2 entry. RPS writes for people who probably haven't played these games so it means the writer felt a new player should start immediately with StarCraft 2.

I also had the idea that he probably didn't include UQM and Pirates because of the arcade sequences. The writer seems to be biased toward turn-based, not even many RTS's.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Even back then Codex had love for Sengoku Rance...

I guess we don't consider UQM a strategy game either, due to the combat system?

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I would say that those mid 1980s-early 1990s games with a strategic layer over action minigames are their own genre. Even if you don't agree with that, games like Pirates, Sword of the Samurai, or Star Control 2 lean more toward being RPGs than strategy games.

spectre

Arcane
King of Dragon Pass is actually that good. It's a game that everyone should at least try.
Damn, african, you talked me into it. I think screenshots don't do it justice, it looks like an elaborate choose your own adventure.

I find CK 2, EU IV and X COM 2 overrated here, but that's just quibbles. Makes me want to play Homeworld and Endless Legend. Right after I'm done with ATS.
I've only recently seriously gotten into CK2 and I am having a difficult time thining of it in terms of a strategy game, in practice it plays more like medieval sims with commanding armies being more of an afterthought, especially with
a few expansions piled up (I remember it was pretty lackluster in vanilla).
I'd say, it does play like a better RPG than what we're getting these days.

When it comes to SEXCUM2, I meant to be checking it out someday, but it just looks like every other squad based strategy game that came out recently. The original seems to have ruined the formula for me, at least for some time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom