Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Matt Chat 395: Interview with Leonard Boyarsky

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Fallout; Interplay; Leonard Boyarsky; Matt Barton; Stonekeep

It's been nearly a year since Matt Barton interviewed somebody of interest to the Codex. Back in the day, there wasn't a month where one of his videos wasn't on our front page, but it seems like ran out of famous RPG developers to interview at some point. Luckily, recent developments in the industry have led to new interview opportunities. Namely, the departure of RPG demigod Leonard Boyarsky from Blizzard and the recent unveiling of his hopefully soon to be announced secret project at Obsidian. The first episode of Matt's interview with Leonard starts with some followup questions about his SINFO talk from last year. Topics of discussion include Leonard's educational background as an artist, some of the challenges he faced designing the art for Fallout, and his experience working on the beleaguered Stonekeep.

According to Leonard, he was fortunate to have found himself working in roles, first as a junior artist on Stonekeep with few responsibilities and later on Tim Cain's Fallout team, that insulated him from the turmoil that was rampant in Interplay in those days. As such, he has few horror stories to share about his experiences there, although perhaps that will change when Matt gets around to asking about the circumstances that led to his departure from Interplay.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Just one question: Is the poster with the Maia girl from PoE2 or a new project?

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's been nearly a year since Matt Barton interviewed somebody of interest to the Codex. Back in the day, there wasn't a month where one of his videos wasn't on our front page, but it seems like ran out of famous RPG developers to interview at some point.

Come to think of it, somebody should suggest to Matt to get into contact with Monty Markland. That could make for a juicy interview! :M

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Come to think of it, somebody should suggest to Matt to get into contact with Monty Markland. That could make for a juicy interview! :M
Fargo is an executive producer of Matt Chat so I doubt that would happen. Besides, Barton's interviews with Sirotek/Romero/Heineman indicate a non-confrontational demeanour who -- though fascinated by and thirsty for drama -- is unwilling and/or unable to delve deeply into such matters, content with an interviewee's account presented without challenge. The show's jovial tone and a desire to attract future guests are likely contributing factors as well.

Anyways, good show. I hope Indiana propels Boyarsky to face-of-the-company status because he's more likeable than Soyer.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Once again, organized by yours truly...you can hear the Lars Diggfinger shoutout in the beginning +M

Great interview so far, should be 2-3 parts in total. Let's see what he says about the new project, if anything at all.

Last edited:

imweasel

Gud interview. I am looking forward to parts two and three.

It is also nice to see an actual interview with Mr. Boyarsky and not just another retrospective on Fallout. Thanks, Matt. :salute: :)

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How far do you guys think we’d have to go to get Leonard or Tim to blab about the new game? On a scale of misdemeanor to felony.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Bl2m5nJCQAIALNj.jpg

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
How far do you guys think we’d have to go to get Leonard or Tim to blab about the new game?
It won't happen until PoE 2 will be released. Hopefully their game will be less shitty than this Baldur's Gate clone bu after their recent talking that they need to dumb games down I'm not optimistic.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Vault Dweller in Part 1, Leonard mentions "making games is the ultimate game" in that you have to meta-game and figure out how to tailor an experience for the player etc.
Any thoughts?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Vault Dweller in Part 1, Leonard mentions "making games is the ultimate game" in that you have to meta-game and figure out how to tailor an experience for the player etc.
Any thoughts?
I can't really comment as it's not very clear on what exactly he meant by that. Obviously, you have to chart all possible ways and choices and think of what the player would want to do here but that's too obvious, so I assume he meant something else.

selkin

Liturgist
How far do you guys think we’d have to go to get Leonard or Tim to blab about the new game?
It won't happen until PoE 2 will be released. Hopefully their game will be less shitty than this Baldur's Gate clone bu after their recent talking that they need to dumb games down I'm not optimistic.
For me as long as the map is open like in F1&F2 being a BG clone is not a bad trade off.

selkin

Liturgist
In part 1 at 11:00 Boyarsky mentions the dirty gritty style of Fallout. Actually this is my main issue with almost every game since Fallout. I miss this and I really REALLY appreciate it. This is one of the reasons why Fallout is one of its kind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom