Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Nothing was changed.

Checking and replacing the (default) version and non-relevant other strings (with 1.26 versions) show nothing has changed.

Nice head-fake, Steve.

Zep--

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Nothing was changed.

Checking and replacing the (default) version and non-relevant other strings (with 1.26 versions) show nothing has changed.

Nice head-fake, Steve.

Zep--

I asked him about it:
Cleve didn't you revert to the old xp mehcanics a few updates ago so that character level up faster and will surely pass level 12-14 by the end game?

He answered:
GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] 7 hours ago
It should definitely happen faster now. In my playthroughs I am usually employing cheat codes and turning all random encounters off, reducing XP the party is going to get by the end of the game substantially.

So are you sure about that Zep?

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
On steam, Cleve made a comment in a thread about the manual

GOLDEN ERA GAMES
[developer] 6 hours ago

The exemption for Soy based products to permit them to be sold despite having six times the legal amount of estrogen normally safe for human consumption must be revoked. Soy is clearly a very damaging product to the health and development of human beings, particularly men but women suffer as a result of it as well.

Then someone asked:
Cleve. Man, how is it that you have time to comment on the dangers of Soy but not enough time to copy and paste a single page (or is it2? 3 even?) from the rulebook?

He answered:
GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] 3 hours ago
Update coming out today has guide to attributes built in to character review screen. Try to have fun. That's the idea.

Last edited:

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Grimoire 1.2.0.29-R Update
22 January - GOLDEN ERA GAMES
Decided that some of the fixes and enhancements applied today should go up immediately. In particular, there is now help support in the character review screen for attributes the same way the skills are supported. Click on any attribute in the character screen to see the abbreviated description of what role it has in game mechanics. This should help until the manual is finished.

Also in this update is a really useful enhancement to containers, with improved cues on screen including a current count of items in a container and the max number of items permitted for that container at the bottom of each item graphic in the inventory bar.

I fixed some problems with Djinn wishes that could have messed up game logic. It is unlikely they did so but better to tighten up the code to make that impossible. Also worked on the NPC AI for basic tablet seeking. The NPC logic will be turned on again in the next update.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Can someone go in game and post what each attribute does? If no one will , I'll do it when I get home but it will take me several hours from now :/

mondblut

Arcane
The plan right now is to start changing classes around level 10 for some characters, so they should advance more quickly in their new profession.

You shouldn't delay changing classes beyond level 6-7. By the time you reach level 10, you'd probably finish the game, and you'd need half as much xp for a character changing at 6-7 to go through every class thrice over (well, if he could revisit older classes, that is).

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Someone just posted on steam the attributes, I am assuming he took it from the new in game description:

INT - Determines how likely a character will learn from successes. Affects susceptibility to Illusions. Assists in inspecting locks. Can assist Sages in comprehension.
WIS - Determines how likely a character will learn from failures. Affects susceptibility to Fear and Suggestion.
WIL - Determines how much mental and emotional stress can be tolerated by a character. Affects how easily they can be controlled by others. Assists in casting and summoning for many spells.
STR - Controls a character's ability to penetrate with a weapon, force doors and perform other muscular feats. Females start with a 20% penalty to strength at creation.
CON - Determine what constitutes encumbrance for a character and their carrying capacity. Affects the character's response to various afflictions. Reflects power levels needed to restore Health and Vitality.
SPE - Determines the number of attacks a character can make in combat and their ability to flee. May be involved in many physical tests of reaction time.
AGI – Enables a character to guide a weapon to a target, dodge a blow, pick a lock, and duck missiles and projectiles. Affects damage incurred when falling.
FEL – Reflects character’s ability to negotiate with NPCs and influence them. Females start with a 20% bonus at creation.
DEV – Determines rate at which a character learns new skills and masters existing ones. Can influence success at shrines and prayer.
MET – Determines rate at which a character burns up vitality and regains Hitpoints, Magic, and recovers from conditions.
DES – Affects Luck in critical situations, as when receiving a deadly blow or magic attack. When used to save against an attack that would otherwise be fatal, loses a point permanently to reflect this miracle.

Dorateen

Arcane
Here's how it looks in game, with the window displaying the new attribute descriptions

34HSum6.jpg

Meanwhile... been looting Perk Chests, taking names, and finding more sacred secrets!

dBDy3Yo.jpg

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Someone just posted on steam the attributes, I am assuming he took it from the new in game description:

INT - Determines how likely a character will learn from successes. Affects susceptibility to Illusions. Assists in inspecting locks. Can assist Sages in comprehension.
WIS - Determines how likely a character will learn from failures. Affects susceptibility to Fear and Suggestion.
WIL - Determines how much mental and emotional stress can be tolerated by a character. Affects how easily they can be controlled by others. Assists in casting and summoning for many spells.
STR - Controls a character's ability to penetrate with a weapon, force doors and perform other muscular feats. Females start with a 20% penalty to strength at creation.
CON - Determine what constitutes encumbrance for a character and their carrying capacity. Affects the character's response to various afflictions. Reflects power levels needed to restore Health and Vitality.
SPE - Determines the number of attacks a character can make in combat and their ability to flee. May be involved in many physical tests of reaction time.
AGI – Enables a character to guide a weapon to a target, dodge a blow, pick a lock, and duck missiles and projectiles. Affects damage incurred when falling.
FEL – Reflects character’s ability to negotiate with NPCs and influence them. Females start with a 20% bonus at creation.
DEV – Determines rate at which a character learns new skills and masters existing ones. Can influence success at shrines and prayer.
MET – Determines rate at which a character burns up vitality and regains Hitpoints, Magic, and recovers from conditions.
DES – Affects Luck in critical situations, as when receiving a deadly blow or magic attack. When used to save against an attack that would otherwise be fatal, loses a point permanently to reflect this miracle.

It looks like WIL is the only attribute that affects casting spells directly, while INT/WIS/DEV affect spell casting through the skill points. Kind of a different system from any other.

For melee characters, STR and AGI determine the ability to hit and penetrate. Plus SPE is critical for additional hits per turn. CON to be able to wear heavier armor and higher resistances against afflictions. Fighters may also need some INT/WIS/DEV for skill points, unless they gain those quickly anyway through fighting.

Not sure how important MET is. DES is definitely not that important and FEL is enough to have in just one character.

Dump stats for spell casters:
STR, AGI, FEL, DES. To a lesser degree CON and MET.

Dump stats for fighters:
FEL, DES for sure. INT/WIS/WIL/DEV to a lesser degree.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Did we find out whether learning from successes (INT) or failures (WIS) works better? I guess in the beginning WIS is probably better, as you will have many more failures. But as you increase a skill a lot, INT may become more important to reach the full potential.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
So why is not game on GoG? I don't have a Steam account and I don't see how one could buy it directly from the official website.

Spiky

Learned
So why is not game on GoG? I don't have a Steam account and I don't see how one could buy it directly from the official website.
From what I've heard, they don't sell unfinished shit. But don't lose faith, there IS a chance.

Dorateen

Arcane
Did we find out whether learning from successes (INT) or failures (WIS) works better? I guess in the beginning WIS is probably better, as you will have many more failures. But as you increase a skill a lot, INT may become more important to reach the full potential.

I have had a few times where characters gained increases after failing a skill. However, these were our party's cleric and sage, who have higher wisdom anyway. It is a nice consolation prize when failing to use a magic item or fire off a spell successfully still yields an improvement. But ultimately you want to succeed more often than not, and that's where the bulk of learning happens. On the other hand, our low-wisdom thief never seemed to increase his stealth when he failed to hide in shadows, but does now that he is more competent. Thus, I would say a focus on INT will have better results than WIS, for the purposes of learning skills through use.

Dump stats in Grimoire is an interesting notion. Since in addition to assigning points to attributes on level up, the game also randomly increases a character's attributes. So even if you wanted to neglect strength for a spell caster, it might still increase, even though you are not dedicated to building up that stat. It was pretty brilliant to combine random attribute gains while still allowing the player a measure of control.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
What about DEV? how exactly does it affects skill level ups? why do you consider INT/WIS only?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
What about DEV? how exactly does it affects skill level ups? why do you consider INT/WIS only?

I guess DEV works together with either INT (learn on success) or WIS (learn on failure). So you need points in DEV in any case for INT or WIS to work well.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
"I guess..."

Why do you even bother opening your stupid mouth before you engage your brain.

Zep--

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Zep does decline still works with the latest update? maybe i'll try figuring out how the stats work

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom