Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thank You For Your Work

moriarty70

Novice
I just wanted to extend a thank you for your amazing forum archive. I run the podcast Digital Roadmap, and had a chance this week to sit down with Chris Avellone for an interview that will release next month.

All the archives of his interviews and articles here in the forum allowed me to sync up the lost information in the Wayback Machine and make sure I wasn't covering well trod ground with my questions.

Just wanted to extend that little thanks, and mention that this forum will be getting a shout out at the end of the episode for the help it gave me.

Also, I'll make sure everyone here knows when it's out.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I listened to the first episode (KotoR) and it's just typical fanboy content without any real analysis or insight offered. moriarty70 does have a decent-if-monotone voice suitable for radio, so if the MCA interview goes well I recommend shifting the content more in that direction.

moriarty70

Novice
Lahey: I'm happy for any feedback and I'm more than willing to admint, as a Canuck in his 30's I'm a huge fanboy of Bioware's work pre EA. I probably could use more analysis of the games going forward.

As for the broad aspect of the coverage, I'll admit, this group probably isn't the target audience. I'm more geared towards people just coming to the older titles, be they kids trying to understand what their parents are talking about or late teens early 20's who were stuck on consoles growing up and are finally joining PC gaming.

Like I said, happy for constructive feedback.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
PulsatingBrain http://roadmappodcast.com

moriarty70, KotoR released on Xbox before PC. :P

Frankly I don't think that audience is looking for what you offer. When kids search for older games, they go to twitch/youtube/reddit or wherever the search engine takes them. They'd rather watch a 5 minute rapidfire video showing gameplay with an emphasis on entertainment than a detached half-hour retrospective without any frame of reference. If I search "knights of the old republic", one of the first videos to pop-up is this:
...see what I mean?

This is another reason why I suggested steering more towards a long-form casual interview format such as Matt Chat. Long-form interviews of devs without the PR-stink are in short supply, and the format works well for podcasts. Even beyond the scope of crpgs (which MCA provides an excellent door to), there are countless devs out there eager to talk about their work.

tl;dr we're not your target audience, but we should be. Just my 2 pennies.

moriarty70

Novice
Lahey I'm not against moving to more interviews. MCA will be my second within 6 months. The other was Tim Cowles who was one of the main devs on Infectious Maddness of Doctor Dekker. I tied that one in on a month focused on FMV games. One of my long term goals is to have regular interviews, hopefully once a month. And yeah, they were both very honest and open, not smeared with gaming site "Sell this game" attitude.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I can see why you do podcasts: your command of the English language is subpar.

Take for example:

"How old are the games going to get?"
"Honestly? As old I we can get."

And that's on your main page. Casual perusal of your "blog" revealed other errors, too. And just generally poor, low energy writing and lack of conviction that is all-too-common these days.

I didn't waste my time listening to any of the podcasts, but you are going to struggle if they reflect the general vibe of your site. And like the others have said, scrubs are your audience and YouTube is where the scrubs go for info.

Anyway, unfocused treatment ranges tend to turn off people with good taste. I mean, you don't even focus on RPGs. My blog succeeds because I laser-in on just three closely-related RPG engines. In that way, I cultivate my palate, attract a readership with similar tastes, and generate butthurt by going from strength to strength. I could quit blogging now and people will be referencing my blog for the next decade.

So yeah, I'd wish you luck in your endeavor, but you come off like a bit of a dabbler, tbqh. Don't stop trying to improve, though.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
So what are your thoughts on Hitler?

Hitler did everything wrong.

15001337320310s.jpg

09089408b69a2638338e58ffb0ad9f89--stupid-people-bernie-sanders.jpg

To:

0c75be634497b7c18db64f3b36308355.png

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

moriarty70

Novice
Unfortunately no. I can give you the general flow so you can skip roughly to where you're looking for. Averaged out, each section is about 10 min each, intro is about 1 min and outro is around 2-3 min. It goes as follows:
  • Intro
  • Design Philosophy
  • Van Buren/New Vegas
  • Planescape
  • Path from "New Guy" to "That Guy"
  • Pathfinder: Kingmaker
  • Into The Breach
  • Wind Down
  • Outro

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom