Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPS Lists the best PC games OF ALL TIME

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
To be fair, the list is for "Best PC Games of all time" with the emphasis on "PC Games" .

Yeah that's why a Pureisutashon gameru is number 1.

Top kek.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Absolutely abhorrent. And clearly suggestive of the fact that nobody over the age of 25 had any input or only picked up the hobby at a later stage.
1st game is from fucking 1990? No Pirates? No Prince of Persia? Not a single Sierra adventure? No Flashback? No Stunts? No Civ 1? No Sword of the Samurai? Only 7 games from before 1996? I could go on but I don't want an aneurysm.
SERENITY NOW

To be fair, the list is for "Best PC Games of all time" with the emphasis on "PC Games". The PC wasn't a primary gaming platform until 1990 and onwards, so finding noteworthy PC games released before 1990 is a challenge. This is why you won't find games like the early Ultimas, Wizardrys or most of the Sierra adventure game catalog on Top PC-anything lists... at least the ones that follow this simple rule (PC Gamer doesn't, for one).

Pirates! was originally released on the C-64, Prince of Persia on the Apple II and Flashback on the Amiga, but the other games you mentioned are original PC games. No comment on why they weren't included, because the list is, as usual, pants-on-head retarded. Only nine titles in and you get a console port, and featuring two MOBAs is a crime against common sense... and that's as far as I'm willing to go in explaining (for the nth time) why lists like these are fucking stupid.

Nice take. Too be fair though, Final Fantasy VII was a super significant console port. Where I lived, far more households had PCs than PSs. Although I guess it might be generational too. When you're in high school, you ask your parents for a car for your birthday, not a Playstation. I had a lot of classmates that played FFVII on PC. So from FFVII to Halo, if you were anywhere between High School and married with a house, you probably stopped playing games on console.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
No there's nothing fair about that. FF7 is a console game originally released on a console platform that was later ported (somewhat unsuccessfully) to the PC. It has no business being on that list.

Jason Liang

Arcane
No there's nothing fair about that. FF7 is a console game originally released on a console platform that was later ported (somewhat unsuccessfully) to the PC. It has no business being on that list.
FF7 was ported to PC in June 1998 which makes sense since I remember my friends playing it at home during high school senior year. Torment didn't release until December 1999 and BG2: SOA didn't release until September 2000. So for a period of about 1-2 years, FF7 was the top turn-based rpg for the PC. It was the alternative to clik-clik-clik-clik-clik-clik-clik-clik Diablo 1. And it was really perfect for games around my age that had grown up on SNES and Final Fantasy 2 (IV) and were now migrating to PC gaming. So historically it can be considered a PC game milestone, just like how a game that was originally Arcade ported to console or PC can also be significant. Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat are both considered some of the best SNES and Genesis carts despite both being Arcade ports.

I'm agree with you in principle, but just explaining how FFVII might reasonably make a PC Game list.

wyes gull

Savant
The PC wasn't a primary gaming platform until 1990 and onwards, so finding noteworthy PC games released before 1990 is a challenge.
You've got a fair few, Battle Chess, Larry, Populous or Wasteland off the top of my head. Some of them more significant or plainly outright better than a lot of the list. Seems absurd to establish a cutoff point, it's almost like ignoring the first couple of years of a console's life.
And fair enough if it wants to ignore games that were released first on other platforms but then (as you later point out) shit like FFVII, Halo, Kotor or Morrowind have no place in there.

Ed- Nethack, Simcity, Alter Ego.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
You've got a fair few, Battle Chess, Larry, Populous or Wasteland off the top of my head. Some of them more significant or plainly outright better than a lot of the list. Seems absurd to establish a cutoff point, it's almost like ignoring the first couple of years of a console's life.
And fair enough if it wants to ignore games that were released first on other platforms but then (as you later point out) shit like FFVII, Halo, Kotor or Morrowind have no place in there.

Ed- Nethack, Simcity, Alter Ego.

Pretty sure Unkillable Cat is talking about the PC as in IBM PC/MS-DOS.

Exactly. Most of the games wyes gull brings up were not originally released on the PC, though Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards seems to have had a simultaneous PC/Apple II release, and Alter Ego seems to have had a simultanous PC/Apple II/Apple Macintosh/C-64 release. Nethack is a pure MS-DOS product, but it's a metoo-clone of a metoo-clone.

So yeah, making a "Best PC Games"-list is not as easy as it sounds and not for everyone to do because it requires Research and Effort.

wyes gull

Savant
Pretty sure Unkillable Cat is talking about the PC as in IBM PC/MS-DOS.
As am I. Everything I've mentioned can be played in Dos and/or Win 3.1.
And I did. Most of them, at any rate (never had Amigas or Commodores or anything of the sort other than a Speccy); had the luck of having an uncle working in the national phone company who'd routinely bring 3.5 disks full of games, presumably grabbed off some BBS/internet precursor thingy. Pity I never inquired him exactly how that happened.

Cael

Arcane
Forget about anything else. They put Cuckdog EE LGBTIABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP chicken diarrhea in a "best games of all time" list. Absolute fail.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Making a platform-specific list for PC is futile at this point because there's nothing meaningful in it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom