Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Most recent end 90s style FPS

Antigoon

Augur
I am wasting quite some time on modern shooters lately. So I was wondering: what is the most recent FPS without
- endless cutscenes
- collectables
- tons of gimmicky levels (driving some shitty vehicle with bad controls for half an hour etc.)
- I also don't really need to spend half an hour climbing up some ladder because of realism
So basically, nice diverse gun play, good level design (non linear, not 100% arenas, maybe something more tight and claustrophobic, or any shooter that doesn't take itself all too serious.
Something like Unreal, even SoF, Kingpin or NOLF

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
CroTeam has made their fame by only making Serious Sam games over and over again. They're basically what you want; each level of Serious Sam: The Second Encounter HD has like 14-15 secrets, too. Serious Sam 3: BFG is also generally well liked; the only black sheep the franchise had was Serious Sam 2 (not to be confused with The Second Encounter, which is basically "Sam's new adventures on the first game's engine and mechanics"). All these games sell extremely cheap during Steam sales.

You can try out Devil Daggers, which is a Doomy-looking "first person Touhou" game - you're on a massive arena and there's a fuckton of shit flying at you from everywhere at once, and you have to dodge it all while shooting. Costs 5$ when not on a sale; generally well liked by adrenaline junkies.

You can try the Painkiller series of games, which generally follow the formula of "get locked in a small arena, murder everything inside with a collection of gothic-looking weapons, rinse, repeat". It's worth a playthrough if you're really starved.

Duke Nukem 3D has very recently had an update called "20th Anniversary World Tour". To be fair, it was a very polarizing update, because everyone's favourite Randy Pitchford decided to get rid of Megaton Edition from the store, and that version of DN3D had all the expansion packs released for the game bundled within. However, they also added a brand new chapter of DN3D which reportedly had some of the OG level designers in it. I only know it, really, from lurking discussions on /vr/, where one particularly passionate DN3D fan said it's a really good episode and has at least one absolutely outstanding level. I'd look around for someone's second opinion before getting that one.

Antigoon

Augur
I forgot to mention Serious Sam, played them tons already. I will try the others

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Thanks for reminder about SrsSam I got to try out that Legend of the Beast, didn't make it back then due burnout after SrsSam3 DLC...

Ash

Arcane
I am wasting quite some time on modern shooters lately. So I was wondering: what is the most recent FPS without
- endless cutscenes
- collectables
- tons of gimmicky levels (driving some shitty vehicle with bad controls for half an hour etc.)
- I also don't really need to spend half an hour climbing up some ladder because of realism
So basically, nice diverse gun play, good level design (non linear, not 100% arenas, maybe something more tight and claustrophobic, or any shooter that doesn't take itself all too serious.
Something like Unreal, even SoF, Kingpin or NOLF

There's no such thing. Especially not in the good level design department. Sorry. Play old school PC classics you missed, replay old classic you love with mods as well as check out fan missions and TCs, or even branch into old school console FPS which can be emulated, or got PC releases at a later date (e.g Turok 1 and 2, Brutal Doom 64). Don't underestimate certain old school shooters just because they were on console. Game design-wise there wasn't many differences in the 90s, until cuck PC devs sold out and introduced shit like Halo and Gears of war. And disregard Goldeneye which is hyped beyond reason by low standards cucks, it was never that good (though it wasn't bad either), just lots console kiddies back then never checked out other shooters. Suppose it makes sense since Turok, Doom 64, Duke Nukem: Zero Hour etc were 18/adult-rated games with blood and gore, so most parents wouldn't have bought it for them.

As for the last golden age style shooter, it's probably Return to Castle Wolfenstien, even though it's hitscan galore.
Wolfenstien 2009 would maybe qualify if it didn't have regen health and a couple other downsides.

Last edited:

Antigoon

Augur
Yes, my last shooter I played big online was also RTCW. Too bad nothing good came afterwards. :/

Ash

Arcane
Online? Meh. You were originally talking in singleplayer terms as was I.

"Too bad nothing good came afterwards. :/"

Well, I'd still recommend certain other types of shooters post-2003 or whenever RTCW was: ARPG shooters (New Vegas), action horror shooters (STALKER, Call of Cthulhu: DCOTE, Dead Space, and a big maybe for PREY), third person shooters (GUN, The Punisher) as some examples. But if you're specifically looking for glorious 90s style, there's fuck all. And after 2007 in particular it's difficult to find anything good in general.

There are however recent upcoming indie efforts. Check out Ion Maiden for instance, which is an official FPS being made on the Build Engine. And people are releasing VERY high quality mods for the classics from time to time. So there is still old incline being made, you just good to look in places you'd under normal circumstances expect less from.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
You might want to check Necrovision.

Also maaaaaaaaaaaaaybe EYE: Divine Cybermancy.

Also maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe Singularity, even though it has a bunch of popamolisations.

Antigoon

Augur
Most of them I already played, the others I will surly check out. Thanks :)

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
OP needs to play E.Y.E.

EDIT: Fuck, ninja'd by Roxor. Also +1 to Singularity, it's alright.
EDIT #2: Oh yeah, and DCotE is very good, go play it now. Hope you have WinXP installed, otherwise you're in for some serious butthurt.

Parsifarka

Arcane
Singularity is shit. By far the worst game made by the otherwise prestigious Raven.
Hard Reset was nice, although it's nothing like a real 90's shooter but rather Painkiller style. I think Far Cry/Crysis (+Warhead) and FEAR (+Perseus Mandate+Extraction Point) are the best the two main branches of modern FPS (if we are to consider SS and Pk as "classic", which they aren't) have produced.

Also, DN3D got a Forever mod inspired by the 2001 trailer worth checking which added cool stuff like the motorbike from RR Rides Again.

Ash

Arcane
I think Far Cry/Crysis (+Warhead) and FEAR (+Perseus Mandate+Extraction Point) are the best the two main branches of modern FPS (if we are to consider SS and Pk as "classic", which they aren't) have produced.

Gotta strongly disagree there. STALKER > FEAR for instance. And most things that aren't pure popamole are better than Far Cry and Crysis. I'd readily throw out Wolf 2009 in their place, despite it being nothing to write home about.

Parsifarka

Arcane
Gotta strongly disagree there. STALKER > FEAR for instance. And most things that aren't pure popamole are better than Far Cry and Crysis.
STALKER and FEAR aim at very different things. FEAR is a straight corridor shooter, and pretty good at that. Shadow of Chernobyl is a weird mix of "open" world exploration, RPG-like quests and tactical shooter. Good game, absolutely out of what I would call a main branch of modern FPS.
And please, I really want to play those FPS so much better than Crysis -give me names.

Ash

Arcane
And please, I really want to play those FPS so much better than Crysis -give me names.

I haven't got shit regarding pureblood singleplayer FPS except the sub-par Wolf 2009

:negative:

I just don't think highly of FEAR, Far Cry and Crysis. Yet maybe you're right and that really is the best of what the modern era has to offer when it comes to pureblood singleplayer FPS, alongside the also sub-par Wolfenstien 2009.

:negative::negative:

DOOM 4? Lel.

Deflowerer

Arcane
F.E.A.R. and STALKER were the last ones I liked, although I don't think either of them is particularly 90s-style. That era of game design is dead.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
DOOM (2016)

Shadow Warrior 2

Not excellent, but they are none the less very fun and better than 99% of any singleplayer shooter that came out in the last 10 years.

Sjukob

Arcane
I wanted to make a thread about it once but was too lazy to write anything, so here goes.

WGRealms

It's a mod for Eduke and it's about Duke getting trapped in a fantasy world. The mod overhauls pretty much everything, it introduces player to huge and beautiful maps with lots of places to explore, new destructive weaponry, big armies of monsters taken from heretic, doom and hexen (althrough most of them have been heavily modified) and a charge mechanic that let's you unleash a hell once you kill enough shit, you can even customize it. There is an additional fantasy themed character you can unlock by rescuing him in one of the levels and he has his own weapons and tools. The only negative side of this is that it's too easy and the highest difficulty just throws more gimmicky monsters at you (partially invisible ones, for example) but it's pretty much perfect otherwise. The maps are amazing, the gameplay is very fun, the visuals are great, the music is superb but the mod is pretty short. So I strongly recommend it to anyone.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Sounds good, but what's gimmicky about partially invisible enemies? As long as they're used in moderation/sparingly they provide some merit imo. Never had a problem with those in any game I've played, starting with the spectres in Doom.

Sjukob

Arcane
I mean they are like blinking, they turn completely invisible for short periods of time and then appear again. The hardest difficulty setting has a lot more of them than any other.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I only played original FEAR but god damn that was the most overrated game ive ever seen. Walk around linear uninspired corridors brain-dead shoot the same looking guys in mask and occasionally get "frightened" by a little creepy girl. Legit curious what the fuck people who praise it like about it except AI.

I liked original Farcry and Dead Space but not sure if they fit what your asking.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
so is it brain dead shooting or does it actually have good ai

make up your mind newfag

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom