Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Horizon Zero Dawn - open world action-RPG from Guerilla Games - now on PC

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
He did write House. I know somewhere here on the Codex he got a lot of love for the Survivalist in Honest Hearts too.

House was my favorite character in the main game, and I don't think I have ever met (or will ever meet) anyone who didn't like the Survivalist story.

Anthony, do you know who wrote Dean Domino for Dead Money? I am in awe with that character. I am in awe with Dead Money in general, but Domino was probably the highlight for me.

I just confirmed with Sawyer, Avellone wrote all of Dead Money.

DeepOcean

Arcane
reading this thread:

"Popamole"
"Popamole"
"Popamole"
"Popamole"
"Popamole"

...Yet most still saying they enjoyed it. Damn storyfaggots and mole-whackers. Often are both one and the same, mind you.
Why are you surprised? Witcher 3 was GOTY here and probably this game combat is less popamole than that.

Falksi

Arcane
Fuck me this game is boring. Only 4 hours in but it's absolutely dragging like fuck.

As others have said, "dialogue" is now this fucking bizarely common pointless "give me more cutscene" setup, with fuck all actual real choice. It's all just so, so dull. I've already realized the best way to play it to go straight for the option which finishes the conversations asap.

But Jesus there's just so many bullshit cutscenes. It's dragging like fuck. Out of the 4 hours played there's prob been around 45 min worth of fun combat.

Does it get any better? When I'm enjoying myself I am having fun, but Christ it's a slog to get to those parts.

Compared to the 2013 Tomb Raider reboot it's far worse so far.

TedNugent

Arcane
Oh jesus, what the fuck is this shit

Looks like your standard 2017 AAA title.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Why is this game in the CRPG forum?

"B-b-but Skyrim is..." Skyrim is a game marketed as RPG and one that tries to be one, but completely fails to do so. This is an action-adventure Open world game. The only RPG things it has is the level-style progression. Is that enough to get listed here? I don`t think so.

PD: It's pretty good game tho. IMO one of the best Open wolrd gaems evar in some regards.

Falksi

Arcane
Just had to uninstall after playing around 8 hours. What a fucking bag of wank. Dull beyond belief. It's not a patch on the Tomb Raider 2013 reboot, and lord knows how it's received so much praise.

As others have said, pointless filler dialogue, boring side-quests, boring main quests, combat which is good but over before you know it, it's pathetic.

You know what I thought after uninstalling? "It's like someone took Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, watered it down, removed all the wonder, and made it a shallower experience"

What fucking times we live in when KOA:R is a bastian for depth.

DemonKing

Arcane
It's not much of a CRPG but its a decent enough game. I find the combat can be quite challenging at times, especially with larger mobs. The world building and presentation is pretty good and the skill-tree progression system is reasonably extensive.

The dialog is mostly click and forget - I've played around 10 hours so far but can only think of one instance where I was forced to make a binary choice - and that didn't seem to have much impact. The lead character also is pretty much set in that you can't really play her as evil.

Why is this game in the CRPG forum?

"B-b-but Skyrim is..." Skyrim is a game marketed as RPG and one that tries to be one, but completely fails to do so. This is an action-adventure Open world game. The only RPG things it has is the level-style progression. Is that enough to get listed here? I don`t think so.

PD: It's pretty good game tho. IMO one of the best Open wolrd gaems evar in some regards.

Skyrim tried being a RPG? You could change that games skill unlocking system to what Far Cry or the Devil May Cry games have and it wouldn't change anything beside how it's presented.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
For anyone interested, here's video of lead designer's GDC talk: http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1024963/-Horizon-Zero-Dawn-A

'Horizon Zero Dawn': A Game Design Postmortem

Speaker(s) Eric Boltjes

Going through early prototypes and delving into design decisions and processes that shaped development of the game, this talk gives insight into the journey game design went through while moving from an ambitious paper concept to a finished open world action RPG, with all of the small and large design decisions and choices that have to be made along the way.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I bought this game for myself, but never actually bothered to start playing... Eventually my wife picked it up, and she really loves it. This will probably turn out to be the fifth game in her life that she actually manages to play to the end (after BG1, BG2, Witcher 1 and Breath of the Wild).

EDIT: I forgot Divinity Original Sin, so sixth game.

imweasel

It is a fun game. Combat is nice. The story is alright and actually believable. The collectathon and chore task bullshit typical of open-world games is well within limits.

My only reals quarrels with the game is that it is too easy and that the map is pretty small and somewhat cramped.

New Guerrilla Games job listing seems to explicitly acknowledge the existence of Horizon Zero Dawn 2

Horizon Zero Dawn 2's development may have just been confirmed by latest Guerrilla Games job listing

A number of newly published job listings from Guerrilla Games suggests the studio is indeed working on a sequel to its 2017 open world action game Horizon Zero Dawn, with one vacancy in particular seemingly confirming the project's existence outright.

The Amsterdam-based creator of the Killzone series recently posted a vacancy for a Technical Vegetation Artist, which would focus on "the creation of vegetation assets that are used to dress the game world." The listing explains that "within Guerrilla, we have four teams dedicated to creating the stunning environments of Horizon [and] one team focuses on the creation of lush and stunning vegetation."

Applying some deductive logic to this short paragraph, Guerrilla appears to be outright confirming that another entry in the Horizon Zero Dawn franchise is in development, and this Vegetation Artist would be brought on to work on this title specifically.

It's no surprise that Horizon Zero Dawn 2 is in the works at Guerrilla, but it's entirely possible that the project is being targeted as a PS5 launch game when that next-gen console releases next year.

Indeed, actress Janina Gavankar - who played Tatai in the original Horizon - accidentally made mention of the sequel earlier this year, while some of Guerrilla's developers have been teasing an impending announcement on their personal Twitter profiles.

Another job listing for a Principal Animator for Living World also suggests the studio will be making good use of the PS5's upgraded specs, asking for someone who can "push the envelope for free moving crowd animations". Hopefully we'll be hearing something more official from Sony and Guerrilla soon enough.

https://www.gamesradar.com/new-guer...owledge-the-existence-of-horizon-zero-dawn-2/

Last edited by a moderator:

DemonKing

Arcane
Is PC release possible?

Sony need destination games to get people into their ecosystem (God of War, Uncharted, Last of Us, Bloodborne etc) so it's highly unlikely the sequel won't be a PS5 exclusive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom