Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's not better than White March, but it's better than base PoE1. All text is basically formed of 2 sentence "blocks" like WM. The lore is mostly crammed into those obnoxious hyperlink words. There is no poetry or competent word-play, no. The adjectives are still there only to use adjectives, some of them don't even make sense. It's a bit of a chore to read sometimes, but I didn't expect anything else. It doesn't waste too much of your time and it's completely optional, you don't lose anything by not reading 90% of the text. The main quest has some wasted potential, it includes a character you hear about in Tikawara and you can try to use that information in the dialogue with that character, but it doesn't go anywhere, they attack you either way.

Sizzle

Arcane
I don't see a reason to let them maintain their "identity" and I don't think it's really a conflict. They don't have that much of a culture outside of different names for gods and the fruit eating thing. I guess the social strata, too, but social positions aren't exclusive to them.

It's a backwater village, I really didn't expect to learn that much about their way of life. Nor did I care to. You, for some reason, did (I guess), even though pointless filler info like that is one of the things you criticized the most about PoE1.

Everyone says how shit it is to live there, how there's no food and how the lagufaeth are encroaching on their territory.

Yes, that's what the conflict is about - they are living on an island that has had most of its resources depleted. Traditionally, they travel to another island when that happens. But their Chieftain wants to establish trade with the Vailians and bring about some (he hopes) long-term stability to their way of life, instead of having them hop island to island every few years.

Both choices come with problems of their own: there are no guarantees the Vailians will want to trade with them (or that they won't enslave/take advantage of them), and there are no guarantees that any other nearby islands will be any better.

The quest also has another aspect to it - whether or not you are supporting the Vailians, or are trying to actively hamper them in the Deadfire.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I just played it, so I remember what they were saying about themselves :p I didn't remember the thing about island-hopping, though, lol. I thought their ideas for going forward was using the lagufaeth spawnlings (which I set free) and cultivating the seeds of the plant (which nobody seems to want except that one guy and you can't try to reason with them), not island-hopping, but it doesn't really matter. The quest itself is kind of inconsequential in a vacuum in the beta, though. You need outside motivations (like helping or hampering the VTC) for it to make sense as it stands now. I kind of know where this will be situated in the whole game btw, it's either probably in the first act where the only faction you are dealing with is the VTC or in the second act where you are trying to garner favor with them or someone else. I've already mentally charted the story trajectory in my head, I'm interested to see how much it will deviate from what I have in mind or if it won't deviate at all.

Regarding fluff lore - yeah, I never mentioned that I think the whole conundrum is good, it's actually just hot air that is very meh. Backwater villages with "their own identity" and protecting that seems a bit of a naive, badly informed idealism that I'd never choose. Fluff lore abounds, though, and I never expected them to stop using it, so that's why I didn't think to address that.

Sizzle

Arcane
I think they said that you will get access to all of the factions pretty early on.

Trashos

Arcane
I still don't get it why they reduced the party size

They tried to improve on BG fighters by giving them lots of active abilities. Then they realized that having 6 people with active abilities in the party was too much. This is my take on it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I think they said that you will get access to all of the factions pretty early on.

Getting access and starting to work with all the factions in the first act is a ballsy move that I don't expect. At most, maybe the first act will be comparatively short and will only feature the factions vestigially. I just don't see where the story can go (knowing what kind of writers they are that is) if the first act is already you dealing with the factions.

Sizzle

Arcane
Again, if I'm remembering correctly, I recall them saying that you will get a chance to meet everyone pretty early in the game, and do some quests for each of them before fully committing to someone.

Lacrymas

Arcane
That's what I mean. I expect it to be kind of like FO:NV in that aspect. You do get to meet all the factions in the first act before you start working for someone in the second. I place the end of the first act the moment you get the Platinum Chip from Benny. While I can't stand its gameplay, I know what the plot and structure are about :p By "dealing with the factions" I mean committing to one of them.

Trashos

Arcane
I will be swimming in seas of joy if the structure in PoE2 is anywhere near the FNV one.

Sizzle

Arcane
Yeah, probably. Still, they also said that you will, more or less, get free reign to go about and sail on your own - regardless of factions - so I'm still hoping that it won't turn out exactly like that.

I'm guessing that the first act will likely end when you enter Neketaka.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
The first ever game made by Obsidian was produced with a smaller development team and using an engine and toolset unfamiliar to them and in half the time it took to develop Tyranny,

Is this true? We happen to have a KOTOR2 programmer posting here. Anthony Davis, how long did KOTOR2's development take and if it was really that fast, how did you guys learn to use the engine/toolset?

Did it help that Spitzley had experience with the Infinity Engine from back at Black Isle (and maybe even the NWN1 code from back when they were publishing it)?

KOTOR2 was about 13 ish months from contract signing to store shelves. MAYBE 14.

The biggest help with getting the game done, besides the fact that many who worked on it were at least somewhat familiar with infinity engine games, was that the game engine and toolset Bioware gave us was rock solid and we didn't have to upgrade anything. The only NEW tech we added (I believe) was adding BINK support.

Chris Jones, the lead programmer and CTO, did optimize the hell out of that game, improving performance by like... 30%. Then we turned around and made even larger levels with more characters and props on them, lol *sad trombone*.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yeah, probably. Still, they also said that you will, more or less, get free reign to go about and sail on your own - regardless of factions - so I'm still hoping that it won't turn out exactly like that.

The problem is that we know that we'll be dealing with the Eothas nonsense in the third act, so I think the structure is too obvious.

Prologue - Eothas crashes your party at Caed Nua and you assemble a ship to go to the Deadfire Archipelago.

Act I - You land somewhere, probably a port town where all the factions have a tenuous foothold on, and start doing odd jobs trying to figure out what to do and how to get to Eothas, I think this is where the beta portion will be (trying to score brownie points with the VTC or someone else, but not fully committing to anything), it ends when you realize you need to go to the Big City. It's either that or you are in a shipwreck stranded on an island before going to the port town.

Act II - Neketaka and its factions, you commit to one of them because you need their resources to find Eothas, I kind of wish your motivation isn't so straightforward, this is the time to diverge a lot and show their creativity about what the factions and their quests are. I don't want the beta portion to be here because it will mean that some of the factions will be sharing content, just you having different objectives.

Act III - the Eothas business that I don't look forward to.

Sizzle

Arcane

The problem is that we know that we'll be dealing with the Eothas nonsense in the third act, so I think the structure is too obvious. Prologue - Eothas crashes your party at Caed Nua and you assemble a ship to go to the Deadfire Archipelago. Act I - You land somewhere, probably a port town where all the factions have a tenuous foothold on, and start doing odd jobs trying to figure out what to do and how to get to Eothas, I think this is where the beta portion will be (trying to get brownie points with the VTC or someone else, but not fully committing to anything), it ends when you realize you need to go to the Big City. It's either that or you are in a shipwreck stranded on an island before going to the port town.

Act II - Neketaka and its factions, you commit to one of them because you need their resources to find Eothas, this is the time to diverge a lot and show their creativity about what the factions and their quests are. I don't want the beta portion to be here because it will mean that some of the factions will be sharing content, just you having different objectives.

Act III - the Eothas business that I don't look forward to.

I think the beta portion is somewhere further along in the game. I also don't think it will start with a shipwreck - they've built up your ship, the Defiant, too much for it to just crash after the prologue.

And factions will almost certainly have overlap in their quests - it was the same way in F:NV.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
One thing that occurred to me is that, because this game is supposed to be fairly broad and non-linear, there are a lot of concepts they have no way of knowing if the player is familiar with yet. (i.e. maybe they explained it in a nice, coherent, non-lore-dumpy way on island A, but you went to island B first.)

That's why you don't have lore dumps every second NPC. The lore should be apparent from the way you interact with the world and how that world is set up, not by telling you what's what. It's the mark of an amateur writer to flesh out his world to the tiniest detail (even though it's still elves and dwarves), but don't actually do anything with that and fill pages upon pages with only descriptions about how the world operates. For example, let's take that koiki fruit quest in the beta, why are you telling me you have festivals where you eat the fruit for some reason instead of showing me that festival and let me partake in the fruit eating? Tell me to go get the fruit for the festival and show me that it's the last fruit from a dying tree that is the last of its kind on the island. We really don't have a reason to care about any of this if we aren't personally involved. Hell, most people in the real world don't care that African children are starving because they aren't directly involved, let alone care about that stuff in a fictional world. Then you ask me to choose which character has to die? Dumb. I don't believe for a second that these people have the food shortage they claim to have and I also don't believe they have goods that will be of interest to Vailian traders for the chief to put his faith entirely on that. Then they ask you to make a choice about that as well. It's impotent and very unnatural.

Selective quoting ftw, I guess? As I said in the part of my post you decided not to quote: "Obviously, there are ways around that problem". lol. :) I'm aware of how to avoid it, and I agree your example is one way to do that. (Another way is to make areas more individualized and touch (touch, not expound to the nth degree) on only what is relevant for that location.)

I just don't think Obsidian has the writers to actually manage that successfully, and I think they decided dialogue lore-dump hyperlinks (which some Tyranny players did apparently like) were 'good enough.' (I'm not saying I agree with them, mind you.)

Outside of mechanics, which JES will constantly tinker with, it seems clear a lot of game development is deciding when to settle for good enough so you can keep moving. Other types of software development are the same.

KevinV12000

Arcane
I enjoyed the hyperlinks in Tyranny (btw, thanks for getting Tranny in my head, now I'm half-convinced there is an Obsidian game where my character read the Edict of Castration on behalf of Overlord Chelsea Manning) because the story was that you were a relative insider in the political and ruling class and would come into the situation with a ton of detail already known. That fit the main character's story. If PoEII is more of a traditional RPG, where your main character is a young person just starting out, then it makes a lot less sense.

I'm very, very concerned about this game. For whatever reason--and I've tried to put it in words but have been unable to do so successfully--I found Pillars of Eternity dull and strangely lifeless. Playing DOSII recently just butressed that opinion. Whereas the world and the quests and battles were interesting and fresh in DOSII, everything in PoE seems like it was done as a Baldur's Gate II re-make with "Drain Life" cast on it. In many ways, the companions in PoE were just as pretentiously presented as those in Tides of Numenera; the writing was just not good.

Obsidian is my favorite game developer. Alpha Protocol, Fallout: New Vegas, NWN 2 and its expansions, Tyranny, KOTOR2 all of these are in my top ten of all time. Yet, the sense I'm getting from this company lately is that it's starting to take on too many of the qualities of home town Irvine: over-planned, over-managed, oddly lifeless.

Ulfhednar

Savant
So it is pretty much in the same state as was PoE 1 couple months before the release, and it will take 1,5 years of patching till the mechanics are ironed out?

I cant understand why Sawyer decided to retool the ruleset so much. Grimoire-stuff with switchable grimoires didnt really work in practice, but I don't think they would've needed to do that big overhaul. I bet they don't even touch on the biggest flaws like the crap buff/debuff/dispel/protection spells.

The beta is better off than PoE1 before release, but it still has a long way to go all things considered. They do have a ton of work to do on the ruleset - so many rules from the first game no longer make as much sense with the new mechanics, but don't seem to have been replaced or updated yet.

I don't like the grimoire switching, and wish they would just drop it. It seems like they realized it didn't work well in PoE1, and instead of giving up on the idea just doubled down. It's too micro-managey in game that is already super heavy on mm. It also requires a lot of metaknowledge to get the most out of your spell choices. Not a fan.

Speaking of spells, there's this very weird thing about the leveling up. Not sure if it's a bug or what, but you can distribute the ability points when you level up in whichever class you want and you get extra points every few levels if you are multiclassed. Soooo, it turns out you get more abilities as a multiclass in a single class tree than a single-classed character if you want to. At least I think so, I'm not 100% sure.

Yeah, you get +1/+1 on each tree, and then an additional +1 on a tree of your choice for levels that you reach a new power level (4, 7, etc.). I'm pretty sure this was a bug introduced in the most recent patch, at least that's the sense I get from the Obisidian forums. If it's not, there is literally no reason to pick a single class character ever.

The Cat Spiritshift is ridiculous, through the roof damage + super fast attack speed + the insane maneuverability of the Rogue tree + the survivability of the other Spiritshifts makes for an almost unstoppable killing machine that blasts its way through the battlefield without worry about engagement, positioning or anything else. The Cipher/Ranger also does insane damage with only her bow, yet her spells fall a bit on the wayside because, like I said, I don't know if they are successful or not 90% of the time. My custom characters are 10x as useful as the pregenerated ones, much more damage, survivability and utility.

My Shifter would've been half as good as he is now without the Rogue levels and abilities. ESPECIALLY as a Shifter since you spend 95% of combat in forms and you can't cast anything, so going single-class Shifter is literally useless because you can't cast spells in the forms and having more of them is equally as useless. A lot of class combinations aren't very viable as a Shifter, though, because a) you can't cast spells in the forms, so no spellcasting multis and b) a lot of melee bonuses from other classes don't work in the forms, like the Monk unarmed bonus or any Fighter bonuses to weapons. You can use melee abilities in the forms, however, so the Rogue maneuverability is open to you. Viable Shifter/X are probably limited to Shifter/Paladin, /Rogue and /Barbarian.

The synergy for multiclass combinations is pretty variable - things like Paladin/Barbarian (best defenses + AoE flaming melee attack) or Fighter/Monk(+20 Accuracy + high attack speed) are stupid good, while Wizard/Priest just gets a few extra spell picks/casts and takes a hit in power level. Odd mechanics like the shifter or the Transmuter's ogre tend to not behave with synergies that you would expect them to have. I expect those will get patched, but it doesn't seem they put much thought into how some of the classes could harmonize together (or, to be kinder, that they are still catching up), and as a result some don't at all.

Spellcasting is not too slow, but I do think casting damage spells is not a good idea in big fights, it's better to cast other things. It's a combination of having enough damage already, them doing not-that-great damage and being more beneficial to cast CCs and such.

You missed the initial release where you would watch your six second cast fireball erupt, miss half of its targets (no graze), and do x0.3 damage on the rest with those fun little "No Pen" pop-ups everywhere. The most recent patch changed that. I'm also not sure if they've fixed the 1s recovery bug on all one-handed melee weapons yet (it's supposed to be something like 2s for fast weapons and 3s for normal).

The contribution from the casters might also be a consequence of playing with the BB companions - using a fully optimized party, the melee and range damage will usually end the fight before damage spells have a chance to land, at least in a way that meaningfully impacts the fight.

Some of the cc durations are not worth the casting time investment. E.g. Mental Binding - 6.0 cast + 2.0 sec recovery... Foe is paralyzed for 6.0 sec, 2.5m AoE immobilized. It's not bad, but downgrading the AoE effect from PoE1 plus the long cast time means your cipher is probably better off just auto-attacking for 2 or 3 attack rolls.

Caster are getting better and things are headed in the right direction though, so I haven't given up hope yet.

The Priest feels limited, though. I'm not entirely sure where they are going with this, but if this is an attempt to nerf Priests by not giving them access to all their OP spells, then maybe it's working, but it still incentivizes a routine every combat.

The casters need some passives in their skill trees. Just choosing spells at level up is the worst character development possible, and I don't know how Josh overlooked this, especially since there are currently only 5-7 spells at each power level for priests. It was even worse when the subclass choice locked you out of some of the spell schools, so that you were literally choosing one of three or four spells each level.

Up to the point I am now, I think you can get through the entire beta without resting once. There is just no need. The Empower mechanic is a button you use when you've totally screwed up the fight and you need a reset, it isn't something you'd routinely use if you are playing well.

Yeah, resting is basically pointless now. Unless you suck, you're rarely going to need to do it. Once they start handing out awesome food bonuses, good players may finish entire acts without ever needed to rest.

Empower is just an Awesome Button. It's basically UI masturbation - press here to feel good (disclaimer: accomplishes nothing). On half of the abilities in the game, it's not even clear that it has any meaningful consequence AT ALL.

So they fixed issues with pacing and trash mobs but instead just broke down entire system of combat instead?

Just, why? like, why?

So many problems seem to stem from changing things they didn't need to change. One aspect of BG1/BG2 that will not be true of PoE1/PoE2 is mechanics continuity.

Honestly I'm not to bothered with how combat will be on release. The class system Sawyer devised almost guarantees combat is going to be broken, but at the same time it should make for good replayability and if he has proven one thing, its that he is willing to spend time and resources on polishing the gameplay. So I think that's a price worth paying for unbalanced combat on launch.

Yeah, they proved that they can fix things with PoE 1 - I just hope it doesn't take as long this time.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yeah, this is a good point to make - there is a huge difference between an optimized and not-so-optimized character. Much more than it was in 1, at least that's the impression I got. My custom characters were incomparably better than the pre-generated ones. The pre-generated characters don't have terrible builds, but they aren't good either. I'd say they are what an average player who isn't a min-maxer would do. The point is that the power gap is immense, my Druid/Rogue was an unstoppable killing machine, while the pre-generated Wizard was like a wet noodle, hopelessly slinging a few spells that might help my 2 characters get it over with even more quickly. The Priest was pathetic. This might be because casters really are a bit underpowered compared to melee, their only use being to help the melee do their thing. Which isn't a bad design choice tbh, but it requires a completely different set of spells, probably a completely different combat system entirely.

Penetration is still a shit mechanic, but since the beta is terribly documented, I don't know what the afflictions or inspirations do, so some of them might raise Pen or lower armor, but I'm not sure. I also don't see the point of this mechanic, I guess it's to make armor not worthless, but it makes it too good and it's worth stacking. Like I said earlier, modals are shit, so they aren't a good way to pass Penetration thresholds.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
How are the chanters? In the first one most of the chants and invocations were very meh and you basically just used very few of them.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The Chanters in P1 had the problem of high level chants taking too long to be useful. We won't know if that's the case until the whole game is already out. Judging by the fights' length in the beta, I'd say they are going to run into the same issue.

Ulfhednar

Savant
How are the chanters? In the first one most of the chants and invocations were very meh and you basically just used very few of them.
The beckoner is the best summoner in the game. Dropping six skeletons on the battlefield instantly ties up all foes in engagement, or alternatively you can summon six wyrms to pick off priority targets while your tank holds the front line.

The Skald is a good multiclass choice for melee characters. You get phrases for melee crits, so you want to choose the armor rending invocation plus the stunning invocation. Your party will steamroll everything.

The DoT chants like Come Soft Winds or Dragon Thrashed are either nerfed from PoE 1 or bugged.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It's interesting how easy it is to break the game by using specific subclasses or multi-class combinations. There is not even a semblance of balance between classes or even subclasses within the same class. Evoker is the only usable Wizard subclass or there is no reason not to be Devoted if one of your classes is Fighter, etc.

Ent

Savant
Black Jacket fighter is pretty good for rapid swapping gun builds - I do think they need a bit of extra oomph to make up for the loss of constant recovery. Maybe a temporary damage bonus after swapping to a weapon?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom