Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Call of Saregnar - a Betrayal at Krondor-inspired RPG

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
I'm deeply concerned by the prevalence of white skinned people in that photograph and screenshots showed so far.
None of those women look like they have a penis either, so I must wonder if Call of Saregnar actually plans to tackle the issue of misrepresented minorities in video games at all. I'm not gonna spend my hard earned dollars in supporting a project doomed from the very beginning by its retrograde leanings.

That's fine, in fact your words only strengthened my beliefs that I am going into the right direction!

On a serious note, the costumes look great, good work!
An actual concern based on that screenshot posted way above: no musician would ever place an instrument above a lighted fireplace (or any source of heat/cold for that matter), it'd completely wreak havoc amongst the gut strings and the soundboard.

Thank you! An astute observation about the lute, I must say! Will have to find a reason as to why that lute is up there, so dangerously exposed to heat!

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Or you're cooking something inside it because you're too damn cheap to buy proper utensils.

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
Since I’ve got thousands of photos of actors now, I just thought to mock up the conversation system.

YTMyumc.png

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
Here is another “lo-fi” variant of the original conversation mockup. The actor has a significantly reduced palette and has been pixelized somewhat to better fit the world's overall aesthetic.

3LImnf1.png

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Absolutely incline. Pixelated versions look best to me, favouring by a slight edge the third.
A script locked to the in-game clock to vary the image's white balance from cool to warm might help the whole blending with the ambiance thing.

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
Absolutely incline. Pixelated versions look best to me, favouring by a slight edge the third.
A script locked to the in-game clock to vary the image's white balance from cool to warm might help the whole blending with the ambiance thing.

This isn’t in-engine yet, just a mockup. Sprites already get affected by lighting in-game, so that is handled out of the box.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
I wonder if you used the GL code I sent you a long time ago to draw the sprites inside the inn as a reference? Or you've just placed the quads with the texture attached?

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
Since I am spamming my twitter account, here is the same actor in an internal scene. Works much better than outdoors, since the lighting is plain wrong for sunlight. Will reshoot the portraits next time with more uniform lighting for external scenes.

IbkGYhr.png

Mustawd

Since I am spamming my twitter account, here is the same actor in an internal scene. Works much better than outdoors, since the lighting is plain wrong for sunlight. Will reshoot the portraits next time with more uniform lighting for external scenes.

Was about to type the exact same thing about the lighting. But wow man. I'm really impressed with what I see so far. D1P for me if it keeps going this well.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Can one move around the Inn, or is it a locked position? Asking merely out of curiosity, I reckon it'd be hellish to create rotating sprites, but perhaps you hate yourself and plan on doing shit like that.

Guard's weapon on the door appears and disappears randomly, seems the animations got mixed. There's also a weird shadow being cast on the wall near that door. And yes, I picked the Autistic Eye perk when I was rolling my attributes.

All that aside, it looks fantastic, ya nailed the mood.

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
Can one move around the Inn, or is it a locked position? Asking merely out of curiosity, I reckon it'd be hellish to create rotating sprites, but perhaps you hate yourself and plan on doing shit like that.

Guard's weapon on the door appears and disappears randomly, seems the animations got mixed. There's also a weird shadow being cast on the wall near that door. And yes, I picked the Autistic Eye perk when I was rolling my attributes.

All that aside, it looks fantastic, ya nailed the mood.

No, the camera angle is locked once you enter a certain place, like this inn for example. You get a context-sensitive mouse cursor to explore the place though.

About the guard, I simply took too few frames of animation, so there's that... it was from the first test photoshoot, rookie mistake. That weird shadow is actually cast from the only dynamic light in the room - the grid in front of the fireplace. :)

So is this game filled with Balkanites? :negative:

Correction: The actors are all Italians, if that makes you feel any better. ;)

Mustawd

No, the camera angle is locked once you enter a certain place, like this inn for example. You get a context-sensitive mouse cursor to explore the place though.

The reminds me of the Wing Commander series where you'd get a background and pick who you wanted to talk to using the cursor.

giphy.gif

Reinar

Scholar
Everyone's fapping to the live actors, so I thought I might give a different opinion. I don't like it. Never liked it in games. Personally, I'd go the M&M way - drawn portraits with mostly static, non-interactive background.
This doesn't stop me from being interested in the game though.

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
Everyone's fapping to the live actors, so I thought I might give a different opinion. I don't like it. Never liked it in games. Personally, I'd go the M&M way - drawn portraits with mostly static, non-interactive background.

And I thought only the RPGWatch folks disliked it (https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1061490799&posted=1#post1061490799) :)

Like I explained in that thread, I couldn’t possibly afford creating/buying drawn NPCs, portraits and the like. The combat animations alone will take approximately 8k frames of animation per character, so taking photos is actually the quickest way to achieve my vision. That’s only if you look at it from a production perspective, but I actually LOVE this approach, so I am not budging a millimeter. ;)

Reinar

Scholar

And I thought only the RPGWatch folks disliked it (https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1061490799&posted=1#post1061490799) :)

Like I explained in that thread, I couldn’t possibly afford creating/buying drawn NPCs, portraits and the like. The combat animations alone will take approximately 8k frames of animation per character, so taking photos is actually the quickest way to achieve my vision. That’s only if you look at it from a production perspective, but I actually LOVE this approach, so I am not budging a millimeter. ;)
I understand the complications of drawing hundreds of sprites and what that means for independent developer, I walk those shoes for some years as well. The customer doesn't care though. Only the result is important.
Anyway, with the environment graphics fidelity being as it is, I don't think too many frames per animation are needed. 8 sides × 10 frames = 80 frames per animation. That might be enough. Idle, walk, attack, hit, death, use/cast... what else? You'd be at ~500 frames per character (having only one armor and weapon set). M&M VI had 6 frames per animation per side and it looked good.
The portraits can be "cartoonized" photos. Again, M&M 6 did that. I think it was worse than M&M VII/VIII portraits, but it worked.

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
I understand the complications of drawing hundreds of sprites and what that means for independent developer, I walk those shoes for some years as well. The customer doesn't care though. Only the result is important.
But I love the results.
Anyway, with the environment graphics fidelity being as it is, I don't think too many frames per animation are needed. 8 sides × 10 frames = 80 frames per animation. That might be enough. Idle, walk, attack, hit, death, use/cast... what else? You'd be at ~500 frames per character (having only one armor and weapon set). M&M VI had 6 frames per animation per side and it looked good.
You are quite right there! Damn! I was all but excelling at excel, so mine was a terrible miscalculation. Still, it is about 600 frames per character, true.
The portraits can be "cartoonized" photos. Again, M&M 6 did that. I think it was worse than M&M VII/VIII portraits, but it worked.
But I don't like that.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
If you’re building the game you want to build, you’re on the right track. Don’t let others kill your passion with their suggestions. I speak from experience.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom