Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking What's the best way to go, visually?

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I started to think about this, after seeing the new Underworld videos.

Is Photorealism really the best choice in graphics? Isn't a stylized aproach (Underworld, DoS, Zelda BotW, Overwatch) easier, less expensive and more resistent to the test of time than the former while still being aesthetically pleasing?

I am going to split this into 2 more posts because apparently I can't post more than 5 videos.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Photorealism

It's beyond amazing the level of detail put into these environments. But at the same time it's very expensive. Only very resourceful studios can achive this. Indie or AA developers will have a very hard time to make a game this way.

And even when a big studio goes this route, they either end up wasting to many resources on the visuals and optimization, and not enough on gameplay and content, or they can't make every bit of the game's presentation be on the same level of polish (and if that's the case even the smallest mistake will really stand the fuck out for the rest of the game)

Not just that, but after a while even visuals just as beautiful as BF4 are surpassed.

And 1 year later, even these ones are exceded.

And something we can start seeing is that with each year the visual differences get more and small (or at least our eyes stop perceiving the distinctions) but the amount of polygons, resolution and resources spent grow insanly more.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
"Stylized"

Games that follow this type of visuals may not be as near as impressive as the ones above. But they can still be beautiful and posses a charm unique to then. They are also alot less expensive, meaning developers can focus on more importants aspects of the game.
Furthermore these games can age very gracefully, or even not as all. Take Wind Waker for example:

While I personaly don't like the style, the fact is despite this game having almost 20 years it still looks good to this day. How many games from 2002 and after can boast of the same?
Not to say there aren't games that don't age well, and don't have any merits to their visuals. But the great majoraty when compared today's more life-like visuals, look like old relics (and it gets worse every year). And the ones who do survive it's mostly due to their art style.

Another thing is that developers can get way with, is very simplistic effects and animations, for example:

serveimage

Climbing animation is very simple here. Contrary to games like Assassin's Creed/Mirror's Edge you cleary see structures that come out of the wall that the player avatar grabs a hold of. If those games had this animation instead it would be very noticable and in a bad way.

Some other effects...

https://imgur.com/Q5cr1gW

serveimage

https://imgur.com/Ay8GaOL

The wind effect of the updrafts created by the fire would look very silly in a game that wasn't stylized. Yet it's important because it tells the player of something they can take advantage of.

https://imgur.com/a0wO9ZG

You can notice that when the tree falls it's branches and leaves, fade away. If the player then hits again a fallen tree trunk, it instantly turns into wood.

serveimage

And the transition effect to this material is very simple (smoke and wood splinters). Again in a game that went for a more realistic style they couldn't put on something like this without betraying even a little bit of said style.

Within this style of visuals you can still have different designs to better suit said game's world and atmosphere. This is accomplished trough the use of distinct colors, lightning techniques and art style.

serveimage

serveimage

serveimage

serveimage

serveimage

And again the simple effects, textures, foliage and objects can be very easily overlooked. Because they accomplish their job and the sum of their parts grants the game very nice looking visuals, that also fits their tone.

I would go as far to say that Styx is Stilized, only unlike the ones above, it just has better looking textures and more complex/detailed objects (and of course it's own ligthning and color palette).

serveimage

serveimage

Of course I only talked about 3D games. Still...

What's your opinion? What type of Graphics better suit a game?

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Some of my fav art styles are somewhere down the middle of photorealism and heavy stylization, e.g

Fallout 1:

fallout%201%20dialogue.png

Final Fantasy 8:

latest

Hand drawn, has a realistic look, yet still some personal stylization involved.

Yet I even like the look of plenty early 3D games on some level (e.g Doom has its charm most can relate to!), and it's the gameplay that matters ofc (sorry, I feel the need to say that in every discussion not directly related to gameplay).

Modern photorealism I'd appreciate more were it not wasted on shit games.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
I'll give a special shoutout to Prey 2017. OK game, but damn did it look stunning at times, and has subtle attractive stylization.

PRINT_Prey_ArboretumVista_Feb27_1488300920.png

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
They are also fuckton alot less expensive
[Citation needed.]

Top quality photorealistic assets and top quality stylized assets require the same amount of work, and super qualified 3d artists and animators.
Also, with 3d scanning tech now readily available, it's becoming easier to produce photorealism than before.

And Zelda looks like a mobile game. If you're looking for top stylized graphics, look elsewhere.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't get the praise for Breath of the Wild's artstyle tbh, something about it looks so damn cheap and unpleasant. I think Firewatch did the same low poly style much better.

Ash

Arcane
Yeah the new Zelda game's art styles turn me right off upon first impressions. Never played any of the modern ones though, and it's probably simply and purely a matter of taste.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Depends. Any other answer is dumb. I woudn't want Max Payne 2 to have a cartoony art style. And I don't believe in that "test of time" crap. Crysis' realistic style doesn't magically look worse now than it did ten years ago.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Stylized is not necessary cheaper, you need a good artist to do the shit, and not just a graphic engineer who would just make photorealistic things with great performance[less geometry]. You would either hire artist or engineer and thus the cost will be the same. Manhour probably too, since you still want some decent geometry.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Cael

Arcane
"What's the best way to go, visually?"
I heard carbon monoxide poisoning leaves a relatively pretty corpse...

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
I prefer when there is some semblance of realism, 'stylized' graphics can be cool but mostly when applied to colours/texture detail. I fucking hate cartoonish over the top style where everything is bent out of proportion, especially when it's done with human characters.

kintake

Savant
Best looking game:
full20120217111947.jpeg

If they release a HD remake I will shoot myself in the face because every HD remake so far has fucked up it's predecessors legacy and this game is visually perfection as is.

Deleted member 7219

I think games look better than ever. Photorealism is now a possibility without the uncanny valley problem.

Some games still benefit from having their own unique art style - normally, adventure games and JRPGs where the focus is not on providing an "immersive" experience.

The Last of Us: Remastered is probably the best looking game I have played although I haven't played any AAA title from 2017.

the-last-of-us-remastered-screenshot-1.jpg

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
I think games look better than ever. Photorealism is now a possibility without the uncanny valley problem.

Some games still benefit from having their own unique art style - normally, adventure games and JRPGs where the focus is not on providing an "immersive" experience.

The Last of Us: Remastered is probably the best looking game I have played although I haven't played any AAA title from 2017.

The Last of Us has been surpassed, this in my opinion is one of the best looking games at the current moment across all platforms.

Sadly, this video is only in 720p for some dumb reason but playing it on a 1080p screen downsampled from 2160p checkerboard and it's mind blowing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom