Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

mondblut

Arcane
Is this actually worth playing? Do things work? Is it unbalanced but in a challenging/creative way, i.e. with an endless playground of tools to play with and creatively build your characters with?

Yes.

Dorateen

Arcane
I Stopped playing when meeting a dwarf who said not to corss a chasm because there is a lot of creatures there that could spread out intot he world

Another fantastic game sequence. The tragic tale of Leraus Stonecutter was more emotionally profound and detailed with picturesque language than anything written by Obsidian. Hearing a voice from centuries past telling of the king's men "not just dying, but in ways too bizarre and vile to be fit for narrative".

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] 18 hours ago

The description of attributes in the manual is informed by every single reference to that attribute in the game in any formula, which can be substantial influence depending on which attribute it is. Some of the attributes figure in almost everything that happens in the game.

GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] 18 hours ago

Grimoire V2 will definitely have a substantial discount at launch. It is possible in coming months there will be sales of Grimoire after the manual is completed. Since most of the people who consider Grimoire overpriced are people who stole it and pirated it anyway, there is not much to be gained by running killer discounts of Grimoire, especially not until the second final director's cut is updated on Steam.

P.S. Somebody wrote me today to tell me they have been playing for hundreds of hours and have completed all endings and still find the game fun enough to start again from scratch and play with a different party combination.

treborSux

Arcane
Somebody wrote me today to tell me they have been playing for hundreds of hours and have completed all endings and still find the game fun enough to start again from scratch and play with a different party combination.
a91.jpg

mondblut

Arcane
I Stopped playing when meeting a dwarf who said not to corss a chasm because there is a lot of creatures there that could spread out intot he world

Another fantastic game sequence. The tragic tale of Leraus Stonecutter was more emotionally profound and detailed with picturesque language than anything written by Obsidian. Hearing a voice from centuries past telling of the king's men "not just dying, but in ways too bizarre and vile to be fit for narrative".

The Samhain underworld itself was quite underwhelming after this buildup, though. I'd have expected for it to be filled entirely with Samhain Horrors, not silly snakes and oreworms and whatever.

Also, if they all died after destroying the gate with a mithril drill and the survivors blew up the bridge... who resealed the gate later? :hmmm:

Dorateen

Arcane

The Samhain underworld itself was quite underwhelming after this buildup, though. I'd have expected for it to be filled entirely with Samhain Horrors, not silly snakes and oreworms and whatever.

Oreworms... I hate those things. But while I agree so far, Samhain does not live up to the lovecraftian imagery implied at first, I still enjoy the archeologist aspect. I get the sense of digging up clues from another age, and the place oozes with exploration and adventure.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

I told Cleve exactly the same thing months ago. Don't know if he plans to change anything in that regard.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive

Parsifarka

Arcane
http://steamcommunity.com/games/650670/announcements/detail/1641993640129799261
Grimoire 1.2.0.28-R Update
20 ENERO - GOLDEN ERA GAMES
The biggest problem for long-time players has been the bug with NPCs vanishing off the map and never returning. This update features a substantial hack applied to saved games when they are loaded that tries to fix the incorrect flags and counters that some NPCs have carried forward from earlier versions. This should result in these NPCs reappearing in many locations at new intervals that have also been adjusted in their scheduling counters.

The next update will likely restore the movement and dynamic pathfinding of the NPCs and also introduce their former competition with the player for tablets and other treasures hidden in Hyperborea. These things were commented out but some of the old code has already been incorporated to give the NPCs agendas and schedules of their own.

The following update after that will be in tandem with the release of the manual for the game.
turtle.png

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] 13 hours ago

A manual is certainly a desirable thing. I never read anything but the introduction of the manuals for every single classic RPG I have played. All but a few of them went into almost no depth on their mechanics. I know that Grimoire would be greatly enriched by a manual due to its complexity but I think people who complain it is not playable without a manual are very special snowflakes indeed.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Some people on steam asked about xp, saying it too hard to level past level 10 and ask about the average level to finish the game.

GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] 16 hours ago
The experience points are on a curve, not linear.

GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] 13 hours ago
Mostly around level 12 on my most recent playthrough.

Which makes me wonder, because I remember there was a patch that changes xp to go up faster so that you wont finish the game in such a low level ( 12 ) but more around 20

So did cleve forget about this change? or maybe the change did not happen? or maybe cleve last playthrough was ages ago and he did not play the game after he patched it. ( which would explain a lot of the obvious bugs like my class X doesnt even have skill Y )

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Which makes me wonder, because I remember there was a patch that changes xp to go up faster so that you wont finish the game in such a low level ( 12 ) but more around 20
I started Grimoire with the release version and later updated to 1.2.0.22-R, which I used until the end. My characters were level 9 when I finished the game. :M

Dorateen

Arcane
I'm at eighth level now, and not even close to completion. Starting with version 1.2.0.27, the fix that increased experience gains is in, but it is for the first handful of levels. Already I can see the gulf between the next level growing exponentially and it will pretty much slow down to a crawl. The plan right now is to start changing classes around level 10 for some characters, so they should advance more quickly in their new profession.

I play with the encounter rate set to Frequent. We fights a lot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom